OP
UTC

Scoot-less

Scoot-less
UTC quote
Hello All,
New to "Modern VESPA", so the question is why should I buy a VESPA? Is it really worth the price?

Kindest Regards,
@stldon avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT200-Vintage Green, 2004 BMW R1150RT-Biarritz Blue, 9' 4wt G Loomis

Hooked
@stldon avatar
2005 GT200-Vintage Green, 2004 BMW R1150RT-Biarritz Blue, 9' 4wt G Loomis
UTC quote
Yes , and welcome.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
It depends on a lot of things that you haven't really told us. I think it's a value decision that each of us makes based on what we're after -- some want reliability, some want style, some want metal, some want history, availability of accessories, community support, and so on.

Then there's issues like: do you have a dealer close to you for service, or are you comfortable doing service yourself?

To each his own, but I don't think we can make that value judgement for you. Tell us more about what you might want the scooter for, though, and maybe we can give you a more definitive answer.

p.s. 98% of the users here think the answer is "yes".
@splitmind avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2005 Silver Vespa ET4, 2007 Burnt Orange Kawasaki Versys

Enthusiast
@splitmind avatar
2005 Silver Vespa ET4, 2007 Burnt Orange Kawasaki Versys
UTC quote
If you were buying a car, the question would be, "Shoud I buy a BMW?"

If you were buying a tv, the question would be, "Should I buy a Sony Plasma or LCD?"

If you were buying property, the question would be, "Should I buy ocean front?"

If you are buying a scooter the question is, "Should I buy a Vespa?"

Quality costs money. People drive Kias, own heavy knock off TV's, and buy homes miles from the ocean and are happy. Likewise people buy cheaper scooters and are happy. In scootering though you get to move from the Kia to the BMW for a few thousand more. It is the cheapest ticket to a high end product out there and most on this board have zero regrets with their purchase. We looked at other scooters and am glad we chose what we did. You just can't beat Vespa style and performance. It is worth the extra to us.
OP
UTC

Scoot-less

Scoot-less
UTC quote
jess wrote:
It depends on a lot of things that you haven't really told us. I think it's a value decision that each of us makes based on what we're after -- some want reliability, some want style, some want metal, some want history, availability of accessories, community support, and so on.

Then there's issues like: do you have a dealer close to you for service, or are you comfortable doing service yourself?

To each his own, but I don't think we can make that value judgement for you. Tell us more about what you might want the scooter for, though, and maybe we can give you a more definitive answer.

p.s. 98% of the users here think the answer is "yes".
jess,
thanks for your reply and hello to stldon. I guess that I started out wanting a motorcycle, but figured that they were way to powerful and I would end up mush on the side of the road(Plus could you imagine me on a Harley with a complete leather set on HA!). Lord knows at 46 it's not the speed, it's the fun I am looking for. I would need a shop or someone close to help me with repairs(I'm not opposed to getting grease on my hands and learning how to fix things). I have looked at "Stella" and others which I might add are less $$$ than a VESPA. So I found this site and thought I would ask why VESPA. Could I have just as much fun on a cheaper scooter. Or is it just the fact that the VESPA is the Mercedes-Benz of scooters? So tell me why you choose VESPA and help me make my mind up...

Off to VESAP of Fort Wayne for a look!

Kindest Regards,
UTC

05 GT200

05 GT200
UTC quote
I know Vespa's are pricey, and it can be hard to get parts for them. I have never regretted spending the money on my GT though. The quality and style are worth the price. Long after the novelty has worn off, I still enjoy riding my GT, and I still admire the design. I also own a 650 Burgman. For what my daily riding needs are, I like that too, but the design is common and the exterior is plastic. I haven't found another brand yet that provides the joy of riding like my GT. The Vespa is just pure plain fun, and with a topcase, the underseat storage and the front bag loop, you will be amazed at how many grocery bags you can carry home on it.

If I were looking for a city scooter again, I am sure I would pick the Vespa, though I would test ride the Morpheous. The Morpheous is homely(imo) and the storage is not practical, but the seating position is very comfortable to me.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
macbodock wrote:
jess,
thanks for your reply and hello to stldon. I guess that I started out wanting a motorcycle, but figured that they were way to powerful and I would end up mush on the side of the road(Plus could you imagine me on a Harley with a complete leather set on HA!). Lord knows at 46 it's not the speed, it's the fun I am looking for. I would need a shop or someone close to help me with repairs(I'm not opposed to getting grease on my hands and learning how to fix things). I have looked at "Stella" and others which I might add are less $$$ than a VESPA. So I found this site and thought I would ask why VESPA. Could I have just as much fun on a cheaper scooter. Or is it just the fact that the VESPA is the Mercedes-Benz of scooters? So tell me why you choose VESPA and help me make my mind up...
Depending on what engine size you're looking for, there are few new scooters out there comparable to the GT or GTS. There are a number of 50/125/150cc scoots on the market, though, which compete with the LX. Some of these are going to be lower-priced (even the Piaggios) and cheaper to maintain than a Vespa. However, Vespas have more going for them than superior style. A lot of it is in the details. Solid steel construction, better brakes and suspension, a really well-designed and engineered engine.

My LX simply rides better than any other 2-wheeled vehicle I've had a chance to try. [I have not test driven a Buddy, or popular 50cc models like the Metropolitan, so am comparing to 125/150cc scoots, several motorcycle models and a couple Vespa P-series shifters.] It's quick, nimble and feels very safe and solid (i.e. not plastic-y).

Sure, style and history has something to do with it. It has a LOT to do with it, in fact. Owning a Vespa is -- for many people -- a lifestyle decision as much as a practical one as evidenced by this site. Kymco owners just don't have this kind of enthusiasm.

In my eye, Vespas aren't the Mercedes of the 2-wheel world. They're more like the Mini Cooper: a quality vehicle that you can customize to whatever degree you like and which becomes as much an extension of your personality as it is a great way to get around town.
@mr_scoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS

Hooked
@mr_scoot avatar
GTS
UTC quote
Re: Why VESPA?
macbodock wrote:
Hello All,
New to "Modern VESPA", so the question is why should I buy a VESPA? Is it really worth the price?Kindest Regards,
i was worried about Vespa reliability but what convinced me to spring for the GTS was the Roadside Assistence. unfortunately my scooter has been in the shop a total of 23 days since May 17th for the same issue, electrical problems.. Piaggio doesnt know what is wrong either. im getting it back today with no fixes. 7 more shop days and it will qualify for the AZ lemon law.

if you want total reliability with the euro look, check out the Vino 125. i drove my 2004 for 6500 mles it i never saw the shop for anything..
@breadman avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1980 P200

Enthusiast
@breadman avatar
1980 P200
UTC quote
Well, keep in mind that Stella's aren't bad either. Razz emoticon
@fridadiego avatar
UTC

ET4

@fridadiego avatar
ET4
UTC quote
In retrospect, I should have checked other options, like the Vino 125. My ET4 has had a number of problems, most of which have been resolved (I think...) but I've had mixed experiences with Canadian Vespa dealerships for service and I've wasted too much time at the shop and worrying about it. Do your homework is my suggestion.
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
UTC quote
I'm part of a scooter club with over 150 members on our email list. Most of the scooters we have are modern ones and automatics. Of all those scooters, the two most reliable brands have been Vespa and Kymco. I've seen a lot of problems with other brands including break downs, finding qualified service technicians to work on them and sluggish speeds. I've owned 3 Vespas to date and they have been reliable year round. And our Vespa dealership here in Denver is great should I ever need service. I know I can rely on them to get the job done.

I also love being part of the history of Vespas and the fun that they bring to the scooter world.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
More than Vespa reliability, I'd be concerned about the quality and reputation of your local dealer. Check postings here and other forums. Or just post and ask outright. Riders have reported a wide range in the quality of service from local dealers. Bad service experiences are not uncommon and have been the worst part of my Vespa ownership.

But it's totally been worth it.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
For me, one of the reasons I went with a Modern Vespa this time round was safety. The Vespa PX and Stella are great machines, but I did not feel safe on 10inch wheels and a rear drum brake.

The Modern Vespa with it's dual disk brakes, larger wheels and great halogen headlight really influenced me. And the GTS250 for more power !!!
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Hi Jerry, and welcome to Modern Vespa!

Here's a similar thread that might give you some insight into why we chose Vespa over other brands.

Why buy a Vespa

For me, as much as anything, was because my Dad had one 50 years ago, and I wanted the modern equivalent of his '50s 125 Allstate (made for Sears by Vespa.)
@punkelf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 BV200, 1976 Sprint 150 Veloce

Hooked
@punkelf avatar
2005 BV200, 1976 Sprint 150 Veloce
UTC quote
I'm just gonna chime in here as a scooterist who is currently saving up for a GTS. I currently ride a TN'G Venice LX, got a good deal on it with just around 100k on it. It's a decent little scooter, but does feel a little toy like. 49cc is just too small for me, though. I'd love to do longer trips, but even my daily commute, is wearing fast on the engine. There are several long stretches where the speed limit is 35mph and even 40. I can do 45 on flat, but if the speed limit is 40mph the average vehicle around me is doing 50. I just don't feel comfortable not having any extra acceleration should something nasty occur. I've had one other scooter (a 1994 Yamaha Riva 125, which I bought new) and a motorcycle (1981 Honda CMT 400). I definitely prefer scooters, but 50cc, while fine in city traffic just doesn't cut it for me in the suburbs.

I've been shopping around for awhile, trying to figure out what my next ride should be, and have just settled on the GTS. The reviews sound really good. I should mention, I really didn't even look at Vespas for sometime, because of the price and what I percieved as elitism on the part of the Vespa community. (This forum, however, is full of very nice open people, but there are definitely some serious scooter flame wars on some other sites.) But for me the deciding factor was that GTS is a 250 that looks like a scooter. The Maxi-Scooters are neat, and a lot of people love them. But to me they look too comfortable. When I'm on two-wheels, I don't want to be too comfortable. I don't want to be uncomfortable, certainly, but I want to be upright and alert. You may be looking for a 125-150 range scoot, I don't know. I also ride everyday, in all weather (ice and snow are the only things that will put me in cage.) Maybe you just want something to tool around recreationally.

Several others here have mentioned reliability, which is a plus. One of the established Japanese manufacturers will also be able to offer you that. But for me there is also the longevity of your investment. The "cult" of the Vespa means, you will probably be able to get parts in twenty years. Even with a Honda, I don't think this is as much of a certainty. And
should you decide to sell it, you will find the Vespa will maintain a better resale value than any other scoot out there.

Don't underestimate the value of the Vespa community either. Ten years ago, you would have been hard-pressed to find online resources for any scooter other than a Vespa (or well, a Lammy). And that was before they had "officially" returned stateside. Should Piaggio (Heaven forbid!) fold tommorrow, there will still be a vibrant community of enthusiasts, mechanics, and parts suppliers to be found online, if not locally.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that yes, Vespas are quality products. But on top of that there is a synergy of build, engineering, and design quality that has made Vespa the Harley of the Scooter world. Yes, you will pay extra for that. And maybe you have other priorities for your descion. But those are the factors that really tipped the scales for me.

Good luck, and have fun with whatever you decide
@ldb avatar
UTC

Banned
None at the moment

Banned
@ldb avatar
None at the moment
UTC quote
I want to move to the Vespa because the PX200E or GT/GTS have a wheelbase short enough to meet my specific requirement. There aren't any other 200-250cc bikes that will fit the liftgate of my truck. I believe Vespa has another advantage in resale compared to any other brands as well.
@corinthian avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@corinthian avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
Since we are sharing... I came to Vespa because of the image. I looked at the other equal sized scooters (Kymco, Honda) and the lines weren't sleek and sexy like I found the Vespa to be. So I paid more for the image history and so far I haven't been disappointed by the performance at all. It's a head turner and a conversation started of older folks telling me tales of their Vespa experiences form the '60s.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
I see that you looked at the Genuine Stella scooter. Have you looked at the new Genuine Buddy? I ask because the Buddy's MSRP of $2499 makes it an excellent choice for a first scooter for a bunch of different reasons.

1) The initial investment is much lower than a Vespa.

2) We noticed that a lot of new scooterists have dinged their first scooters. It's a lot less upsetting to ding a $2500 scooter than a $5800 (plus higher dealer fees) Vespa.

3) The dirty little secret of Vespas is that they are incredibly easy to total. The reason why is that the Vespa does not have a frame. The metal body is the frame. This is called "monocoque" construction and it has lots of advantages, but the big disadvantge is that a minor crash can quite easily total your beautiful new Vespa. If you ding a Buddy, generally you just replace some cracked plastic, no big deal.

4) Are you perchance looking at the Vespa LX 150? We've seen a few of those with a mystery electrical ailment that Vespa USA (actually, Piaggio is the name of the parent company who make the Vespa models) have not been good about taking care of. A premium scooter that commands a premium proce should be backed up with premium dealer service and corporate support, and we haven't always seen that with Piaggio.

5) The Buddy is zippy. It's a 125cc that feels as fast as the LX 150.

6) The admin of this site owns a Buddy and I think he agrees with me that it's far less nerve racking to ride and park in real work driving conditions than his expensive Vespa GTS.

A Caveat: if you need to ride the interstates, then forget my suggestion. The Buddy 125 isn't the right bike for that job (neither is the LX 150, you'd need a GT or GTS).

If you want to talk to folks about the Buddy, please come join us on www.ModernBuddy.com where a lot of the same nice folks (like Jess, who is also admin of that site) will be happy to talk to you.

Whatever you get, I hope you'll enjoy riding it and check with us often.
OP
UTC

Scoot-less

Scoot-less
UTC quote
Thank-you
WOW what a great group here at "Moderm VESPA". Thank-you all for giving me your thoughts on buying a VESPA. I was originally thinking about "Stella"(Love the vintage look of Stella), however it seems that LML the company that produces them is in the middle of some type of strike or labor slow down(Not really sure) and I was not sure that I wanted a scooter made in a 3rd world country becasue of poor quality. Looks like I need to find the "Mordern Stella" forums for more information on that scooter. Look for me on the "Modern Buddy" site, I will be there. So you all have given me lots to think about and thank-you so much!

Kindest Regards,
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb
UTC quote
just 2 cents here, but i don't think the stella suffers from poor quality, even though it is built overseas. they're top notch machines.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Welcome to the site Macbodock! My Vespa turns a year old Monday, for my ownership.
Why a Vespa? Heck when I started looking I knew less about scoots than most people. The first sccot I looked at was a United Motors, had a 150cc engine in it. The dealer says to me take the 150 sticker off, don't buy tags, or get a license. They will never know! I wanted a cheap way to get around and these were like $1500-2500.
Flash foward 2-3 months of internet looking, reading, and finally visiting a Vespa shop. I had called the Vespa shop dealer once, he spent around 30 minutes on the phone answering all my silly questions. He was also very much of a scooter person.
I walked in his shop and stayed in there for over 2 hours, drove the wife and kids crazy. Sat on everything in the store. Bought my GT 1 week later. Now with 7050 miles on it, I am a happy man. I ride because I flat enjoy it, the Vespa is a great bike. I did not want to shift, and the "feel" was right from the start.
So that is my long drawn out reasons for buying my favorite transportation, Beale.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS
UTC quote
You want a Vespa. Buy a Vespa. I wanted a Vespa, I bought a Vespa. Almost all of us wanted Vespas. We bought Vespas. It's simply the Chianti of scooters. Buy one.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I'll be a dissenter and devil's advocate here. If you're buying a new Vespa you're primarily buying styling and brand image. The hype of "steel construction" is mostly just that. Of the visible parts of the LX and GT/GTS, only about 60% are actually metal. The entire headset, inner leg shield, glovebox, floorboard, lower cowl sections and front fender are all plastic. Now, I've got nothing against plastic, and Vespa uses damn nice ABS plastics painted to match the steel, but there is a lot of plastic. If you can deal with that, you won't be displeased. As I said, Vespa knows how to do a nice job with plastics.

With regard to reliability, I wouldn't say that Vespa/Piaggio scoots are any better than Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kymco. In fact, they are probably statistically speaking, slightly more problematic than top tier Asian scooters. Not by much though.

The product itself isn't the only aspect of your purchase to consider. I own a Peugeot. Peugeot makes scooters that are stylish (in a modern way), reliable, well crafted, and chock full of features (direct fuel injection, integrated locking chains, ABS brakes, etc). They are also completely unsupported in this country, and they were imported by fairly unscrupulous people. People who had the audacity to tell me my bike is DOT compliant even though it has no kill switch, the headlight can be turned off, the turn signals aren't the proper distance apart, and I have no reflectors. And then the guy offered to sell me a relfector kit. That pissed me off beyond belief. The guy offered to sell me something that legally was supposed to be included on the product prior to my purchase.

So in addition to the product itself, you need to consider the long term ownership experience. Think about what you're going to have to deal with when you need maintenance or repairs. If your dealer is great, that really helps. If they are the type who will pull parts off a bike on the showroom floor to get you running again, then you can rest easy. Talk to their customers, and if the dealer seems to stop caring after the initial sale, then run away. Don't walk, run! Secondly, Piaggio is Italian. For those of us who have owned Italian stuff, that's all that needs to be said. For those who haven't, Italians have a completely different mindset when it comes to business practices and time frames than Anglo spawned cultures. I consider myself among the tifosi (fans) of Italian transportation. I've owned two Italian cars and a French-Italian scooter. There are people who say that on an Italian vehicle you have to accept that in exchange for the romance there will be heartache. Truth be told, I'm not willing to accept that on any new vehicle. For instance, if it takes a month for you to get some mundane part, it takes a month. Vespa doesn't see that as anything to get their knickers in a twist over. You as a scooterist who wants to ride everyday might. From posts here and from other people I've talked to, parts supply management seems to be a place where Piaggio needs improvement. I don't say that to be mean, but I've known people who have literally had to wait weeks or months to get silly little parts that Vespa/Piaggio USA should have had in stock in a warehouse somewhere in the US. Kymco, Honda, Genuine, Yamaha, etc. can get the same parts out to dealers and customers within a week, maybe two.

In the end, the decision is yours. If the Vespa pulls at your heart strings, then not much else will do. If you see other options from other quality brands as being equally acceptable, then you should really do some soul searching on what you want from a scooter. And you also need to give a hard look to the dealers in your area. After my own experiences, I'm as likely to base my purchasing decision on my dealer just as much on the product itself. Fortunately, I have excellent local dealers for Vespa, Kymco, Genuine, Bajaj, etc. But if I didn't, I would go with the dealer who could best support me. Basically it comes down to how in love you are with the Vespa look and brand iconography, and how easy or difficult living with that choice will be. It's rather like dating a model. Some of them are wonderful human beings who have the full package. Others...well they rely on their looks to carry them through life. If you have the full package on a Vespa, you won't regret buying one. If the full package isn't there, you may very well be annoyed and frustrated.
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
UTC quote
Why Vespa?

Only one reason.

Only Vespa comes with deep soul music as standard.

8)
@vesparican avatar
UTC

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
@vesparican avatar
NONE (At this moment)
UTC quote
Dude;

You just woke up the giant!!!

VESPARICAN 8)
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
Why Vespa?

It's a love thing. Eyelashes emoticon Eyelashes emoticon Goofy emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1198s ][ Queries: 30 (0.0839s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]