500 Battery Dead - Need a Charger ASAP
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
MP3 500
Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 am quote
Guys, so what I thought was a horrible nightmare was a reality - I left my key in the on position last night and drained by battery....I know...what an idiot...

So I've got no clue on what charger to buy, just looking for something reasonable to get up and running - can someone provide me a suggestion (even down to a model would be a great)?

This sux - 80 degrees and no bike!

Thanks all
Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 am quote
Slow Charger
I inherited the one below. It's decades old, but it works on my Rav4 and my electric bicycle. Knowing my uncle who bought it, it was cheap cheap. Regardless, it slow charges the car.
Cheers.....jacq

IMG_8212.JPG

IMG_8210.JPG

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:11 am quote
Get a dedicated M/C intelligent battery charger/tender, such as the Optimate:
http://www.accumate.co.uk/it010003.html

In the meantime, jump-starting from a car battery will get you going, then take it for a good 50 mile ride.
Hooked
MP3 250
Location: Alexandria, VA - woof! Just across the river from DC
Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:47 am quote
The Optimate 3 is ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/TecMate-Optimate-3-Battery-Charger/dp/B000285AWS
(I'm not sure Amazon has the best price.)
Hooked
Piaggio MP3/250
Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:23 am quote
Jump it and take it for a long ride. Then order/shop for the charger you like.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:19 am quote
when charging m/c scooter batteries use no more than a 2 amp charger 12 volt of course. anything larger you could over cook the battery. also don't forget when jumping your off of another vehical (other than a scoot or m/c) never have the other vehical running as it will be putting out way to much amps and could blow up your battery.
Hooked
Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:01 am quote
jimc wrote:
Get a dedicated M/C intelligent battery charger/tender, such as the Optimate:
http://www.accumate.co.uk/it010003.html

In the meantime, jump-starting from a car battery will get you going, then take it for a good 50 mile ride.
Another solution is

CTEK 800 BATTERY CHARGER

Reverse Polarity Protected
Overheat Protected
Splashproof/Rainproof - approved for outdoor use.
Not suitable for immersion.

Technical Specification
Input Voltage 170-260v AC 50-60Hz
Output Voltage: Nominally 12 - 14.4v DC
Maximum current output: 0.8A
Temperature range: -20 deg. C to +50 deg C. Output power is automatically adjusted to account for ambient temperature.
Current drain if no input power present : <1Ah per month
Battery capacity: 1.2 to 32 Ah for Charging
Battery capacity: 1.2 to 100 Ah for Maintenance
Suitable for all types of lead acid batteries:
- Wet
- Maintenance Free
- VRLA (Valve Regulated Sealed Lead Acid)
- Absorbed Glass Mat
- GEL
- Calcium

Dimensions: 142 x 51 x 36 mm (L x W x H)
Weight 300g

they also got the Cigarette Plug Connection Lead

The CTEK Cigarette Plug Connection Lead is a more convenient way to connect the CTEK through the interior of your vehicle instead of accessing the battery compartment, which for some can be both time consuming and awkward. Fits all 21 & 22 mm cigarette lighter sockets and has 8 amp fuse protection built in.

A live feed through the cigarette socket with the ignition off, will be required for charging

did a little research before buying - if CTEK was a crappy brand I would rather buy a Battery Tender - but they are a Hi Q brand:

CTEK is located in Sweden
http://www.ctek.com/EN-CA/about-ctek.aspx

they supply battery chargers to some well known brands:
Quote:
CTEK Sweden is proud to supply battery chargers and develop adapted solutions to some of the worlds most recognised car and motorcycle manufacturers in the world: Porsche, Mercedes, Maybach, Harley Davidson (Scandinavia), Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari and Lamborghini.

In 2002, shortly after having launched their first battery chargers to the market, German manufacturer, Porsche, now showed interest for CTEK’s new battery chargers. A year later, the first battery chargers were delivered. After an in-depth worldwide research of alternative suppliers, Mercedes named CTEK as their official partner of record. Since then, Maybach, Harley Davidson (Scandinavia), Aston Martin and Bentley also decided to use CTEK battery chargers under their own brand name.

Today, Ferrari also delivers a CTEK battery charger with each sold car as well aftermarket service offer chargers for those having earlier models.

Lamborghini is the latest of high performance luxury sports cars having reached an agreement with CTEK Sweden of specific battery chargers.
:worship:

Guess it's OK for my Aprilia then
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1485s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0359s) ][ Debug on ]