@cricket avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 midnight blue, GTS 250 dragon red

Addicted
@cricket avatar
UTC quote
Since I don't have a regular driver's license, my upcoming test will probably involve a road test. I'd like to know what people's experiences have been (especially in the SF Bay Area). Is the road test done before or after the handling test in the parking lot? If you can't stay in the circle (how strict are they?), can you still continue with the test or are you automatically failed? I can do everything else except stay in that &^*#$ circle. I rode bikes for several years back in the 70's, so have plenty of experience - just not driving in tight circles!
I don't have the option of using a smaller scooter for the test, so am looking for advice.
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Forget about the DMV driving test and go take a MSF class. You will learn much more and it counts the same. You will need to take the written test at DMV
OP
@cricket avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@cricket avatar
UTC quote
DMV test
I don't do too well standing around in brutal sunshine (as I will have to when taking the course - I've seen the photos), so am not willing to do that until autumn. I need to do the DMV next week so I can use the freeway. (Legally ).
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Brutal or not, the education you would gain is tremendous. The DMV test is pretty strict, do some search here on this site and you will find the exact driving test. It is all about SLOW speed handling. Yes you have to keep the front wheel in the circle.

California Motorcycle License Test
UTC

Hooked
1962 Lambretta TV175, 2001 ET4, 1972 Honda CB350 1969 Honda CL350

Hooked
1962 Lambretta TV175, 2001 ET4, 1972 Honda CB350 1969 Honda CL350
UTC quote
Heres how I see it. If you second guess yourself about the DMV test you NEED to take the MSF course. DMV is strict, very strict. They make you do weird configurations of slaloms and then multiple loops. It's hard. Take the MSF you will thank yourself later. I was told many years ago that anyone can manuver at speed, the real skill is going very slow and manuvering while maintaining balance. Good Luck!
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
The key to the DMV test (for me) was to use the rear brake to control speed rather than trying to steer and ride really slowly. That, and practicing on the course. The guy said I could after I flunked my first test.
@neuregel avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@neuregel avatar
ET4
UTC quote
My wife and I took the DMV test about a month ago in long beach, CA DMV. We practiced a little on the course a few times within a week before the test. Both of us passed on the first try.

We had to ride a small slolam line which were dots painted in a straight line that led to a circle maby 15ft diameter and 2ft wide im guessing. Two full circles 2 clockwise and 2 full circles counterclock wise. During practice I found I held balance alot better if I arched my back and sat straight up instead of slouching like an ape. But you will need to practice to see what worked for you. My wife likes to lean more into the turns.

My wife like to accelerate fast and coast as far as she could. i preferred to come in slower and apply gas in spurts. I thought I went out of the line but my wife says I did not .

The instructor told us if our feet touched the ground or we went out of the lines we fail on the spot.

before the drive test we had to know the hand signals. point to the front brake. point to the rear brake. point to the turnsignal switch. point to the horn.

I was not nervious at all and did it pretty easily. It was free to take the test and $5 bucks to retest so no worry and we were riding on permits so its not like we had anything to lose.

Took about 4 mins to complete. was very quick. they give you a paper licence and punch a hole in your old driver licence. We got our new licence within a week.
OP
@cricket avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@cricket avatar
UTC quote
DMV Test
My problem is that I can't keep the revs at a constant level while maneuvering round the circle. It's on a very slight slope, so there's a point where I have to give a touch of throttle, which always sends me out of the circle. There doesn't seem to be a way of giving the right amount of acceleration on my GT to keep me from overshooting the lines.
Looks like I'll have to wait until autumn, when the weather cools down & take the course, which I'm planning to do even if I do have my license.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Re: DMV Test
Kapiti wrote:
My problem is that I can't keep the revs at a constant level while maneuvering round the circle. It's on a very slight slope, so there's a point where I have to give a touch of throttle, which always sends me out of the circle. There doesn't seem to be a way of giving the right amount of acceleration on my GT to keep me from overshooting the lines.
Looks like I'll have to wait until autumn, when the weather cools down & take the course, which I'm planning to do even if I do have my license.
Are you balancing the throttle against the rear brake? You can quite easily keep your speed steady even if the throttle isn't smooth just by holding the rear brake partway in, just enough to get some control back. Try it, I guarantee it'll make a huge difference.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0313s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0089s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]