Weird tranny noise on Piaggio L E A D E R engine
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
Fly150
Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:28 pm quote
Hi I just got a Fly150 this afternoon. I previously had an Aprilia SR50 for 20 000 miles/30 000 Km.

When I turn the Fly off, there's this weird sort of noise for about 1/4 second coming from the transmission. Sort of sounds like a marble rolling at high speed around the outside of a vortex like this

its definitely something rolling in something for a second.

I figured maybe its a roller weight thing but this seems very bizarre..
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 am quote
jimc wrote:
For those new to CVT bikes and the large singles especially, it's worth remembering that the transmission will always make some tinkling/clanking/rumbling noises when not under load. It's just the transmission components slapping about, not helped by the inherent vibration of a big single. Often it's the belt, and is particularly noticeable with a new one. HTH.
[/quote]
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:21 am quote
jimc puts its best
Enthusiast
Vespa LX150
Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:23 am quote
are you saying "you blew a tranny?"

sorry, i couldn't help myself. i heard someone say that in the automotive department at sears one day and still laugh to this day.
Enthusiast
Fly150
Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:30 pm quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
jimc wrote:
For those new to CVT bikes and the large singles especially, it's worth remembering that the transmission will always make some tinkling/clanking/rumbling noises when not under load. It's just the transmission components slapping about, not helped by the inherent vibration of a big single. Often it's the belt, and is particularly noticeable with a new one. HTH.
[/quote]

Definitely not new to CVT. I really miss that SR I tell ya... that thing was tricked out with every available performance part... pipe, front shock redone, racing rear shock with a gas preload, big bore kit, special reed cage... sigh...

The FLY150 is actually substantially slower overall in terms of top speed and acceleration at any speed than my 70cc 2-stroke scoot was- which I find kind of odd. They say its reliable though...

I gotta tell ya... I've 'noticed' all the roads that arent paved properly in my area with the fly. With the SR you only knew you were going through a pothole or a rut if you saw it coming...

Ya the clank is definitely not the belt though. Its either roller weights falling back to start position, which is not the greatest cuzz thats not a very good variator, or its the actual half pulley the rollers sit in slapping the toothed cover on the far shaft end when it moves that last 3mm on stop...

I took it by the shop and the guy said its supposed to do that so ok I guess
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:15 pm quote
your fly should become faster as the engine loosens up a bit. no more smelly 2 stroke oil, cheaper to run, longer lasting, nice and quiet, good for the planet -- think of all the positives !!!
my first scoot was a 100cc peugeot speedfight2 - i miss the blisteringly-fast take-offs - but at least now i can hear my walkman clearly !!
2015 Spring Gathering - Little Switzerland, NC   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1949s ][ Queries: 33 (0.0957s) ][ Debug on ]