deal or no deal?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:14 am quote
I found a 1970 Vespa locally and am going by to look at it today. To the experts, does it look genuine from the photos? What should I look for when I go to see it in person? What's it worth? The nearest Vespa dealer is 3 hours away, so I'm hesitant to buy. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200246754063
Addicted
Honda Shadow VLX (Fly 150 sold)
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:26 am quote
Well, the scooter is in Brandon. Have you gone to see it yet?

Over $3100 (current bid) is an awful lot for a pig in a poke. Why not ride on down to Baton Rouge and take a look at the bikes here? I think there's a Buddy dealer in Hattiesburg too, so it's not as if you don't have any choices.
Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:29 am quote
From my untrained eye, it doesn't appear to be a Viet-Bodge. It seems like a legit restoration, and it's a beautiful scooter.

My question is, what do you plan to do with this? It doesn't scream "daily driver / gas saver" to me. It seems like more of a trailer queen show bike.
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:35 am quote
that "scoot" has been for sale forever (when i say scoot, i say that asian paint job sidecar combo). google 1970 vespa 150 and hit the image tab. it pops up twice for 2 different sales of it.

then, click on page 2 to view it on modscooters.com. bad asian place.

plus, the speedo looks like a reproduction, not NOS, so he's lying about original parts right off the bat.

i would not do it, but that's just me.
Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 am quote
I stand corrected -
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:48 am quote
the big tip off is the modscooters.com site. they pump that design out. look at the seat stiching, matches perfectly. i'd say someone in mississippi is trying their hand at reselling them, that would explain 2miles on the speedo.
Ossessionato
ET2, PX150
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:50 am quote
Chad
Quote:
that "scoot" has been for sale forever (when i say scoot, i say that asian paint job sidecar combo). google 1970 vespa 150 and hit the image tab. it pops up twice for 2 different sales of it.
I'm pretty sure we've seen that one here before even
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:06 am quote
I just got off the phone with the seller. It was refurbished by www.modscooters.com (which I found out is relatively local to me - Memphis, TN and Oxford, MS) and he is trying his hand at reselling. This is his first one, and he says if it goes well, he will sell more. He claims it gets 80 mpg... but I'm very doubtful of that.

I'm looking for a daily driver, I drive 3.7 miles to work one way. I have been looking closely at the Yamaha Vino 125, because we have a local dealer and its cheaper. My heart tells me I need to get a Vespa though... especially after my trip to Italy this year.

Any suggestions? I am moderately mechanically inclined, and I plan on putting the scooter to good use. The higher the mpg the better, and I would like at least 125cc.
Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:
I just got off the phone with the seller. It was refurbished by www.modscooters.com (which I found out is relatively local to me - Memphis, TN and Oxford, MS) and he is trying his hand at reselling. This is his first one, and he says if it goes well, he will sell more. He claims it gets 80 mpg... but I'm very doubtful of that.

I'm looking for a daily driver, I drive 3.7 miles to work one way. I have been looking closely at the Yamaha Vino 125, because we have a local dealer and its cheaper. My heart tells me I need to get a Vespa though... especially after my trip to Italy this year.

Any suggestions? I am moderately mechanically inclined, and I plan on putting the scooter to good use. The higher the mpg the better, and I would like at least 125cc.
The above posters seem to know bad things about modscooters.com. I can't say myself, but it is worth paying close attention to their experience. I can say you will NOT get 80 mpg on it. Without the sidecar you wouldn't get that mileage, and those will drag your bike down.

If you love Vespas, get one! They are phenomenal vehicles. But I personally don't like the fact that folks know bad things about where it was "restored" and I don't like that the seller is inflating the fuel economy so much. I'd look elsewhere... you can find one for cheaper that will be more reliable and get better mileage.

Last edited by xantufrog on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
Vroomy Vroomerson!
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:

In the immortal words of mr. Solo

"I've got a bad feeling about this!"

You can't go wrong with a Vino...why not look for a used ET4 it seems to be a bit zippier and it's still a Vespa if you have your heart on one!

A friend of mine got burned by the Viet-Bodge bug, he rode it a total of 25 miles before it completely died and he found out no one would work on it. Ebay refused to refund his money when he claimed that the seller advertised as restored, when in fact it was bodged!
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:16 am quote
mod scooters are not american restos, they're done in india. the place in grenda is owned by sameer pareek who just imports and dumps them here.

if you want an indian scoot, why not buy a brand new stella with a warranty or a used bajaj? way better scooter than a modscooters polished turd.
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:20 am quote
I'm going to go take a look at it and get some pics at lunch. What should I pay attention to?

I have been watching this E4 on ebay, it ended last week with a bogus bidder at $3000. BIN is $3300. I don't know how to tell how much scooters are worth...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330262990416&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 am quote
i'm out. this guy won't listen.
Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 am quote
original post with side car: pass on it..looks sketchy
Moderibbit
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:
I'm going to go take a look at it and get some pics at lunch. What should I pay attention to?

I have been watching this E4 on ebay, it ended last week with a bogus bidder at $3000. BIN is $3300. I don't know how to tell how much scooters are worth...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330262990416&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us
Make sure it starts COLD. Sometimes folks will warm em up before you come and try it. Go ahead and check it out, but I still wouldn't buy it myself, as sweet as the sidecar combo might look.

The ET4 looks nice, thought I'm sure it will go up in price over 4 days. You can find them for sale for mid-2,000s, which is I think a fair price for the vehicle. I personally love the ETs
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:32 am quote
I'm listening, but how can I learn what to look for if I don't see the good and bad. I value experience, which is what I'm working on. I think seeing what not to buy in person will be valuable to me.

I like the ET as well... I think. I won't know until I see one in person.
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:43 am quote
if you're that determined, go look at it. write down the serial number on the frame, and write down the serial number on the engine. then come back here and let us have a look at it.

also, take your digital camera along, and take some close ups of it from all angles. post those for us as well.

PX150 and 1 drowned P200,
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:
I'm listening, but how can I learn what to look for if I don't see the good and bad. I value experience, which is what I'm working on. I think seeing what not to buy in person will be valuable to me.
The cosmetics of the scoot may look as good to you in person as they do in the photo, but w/o a good mechanical/technical background you will just be guessing. "A pig in a prom dress is still a pig". Yeah?
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:49 am quote
oh, also, when you go to talk to him, have him tell you what the make, year, and model is. i want to hear what he says.
Moderibbit
Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:56 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:

Yeah, I can understand that. We tend to throw up our hands early because we get a lot of new people here who know what they want and just come to us for confirmation. And when they don't get it, they go right ahead and buy it, and we just feel like not a word was heard.

I'm not a vintage guy, though I would love to be if I had a garage at the moment. But my limited advice would be: some of these restorers are experts at making things look nice. Viet-bodges are a great example. The are super shiny, with pretty paint, nice chrome bits, accessories you don't normally see on an unrestored bike...

I'd look closely for weld seems that don't look like they came from the factory... maybe too much welding, or gaps between weld spots on a seam. I'd ask myself - did a machine or professional manufacturer (depending on age) really hold this part of the frame to that part of the frame with patches of welding with little unwelded stretches in between? Did they leave such large or unground blobs along that seem?

I'd also look for excess chrome, especially if it looks like one too many extra holes needed to be drilled into the original body to mount it. Might mean they are trying to jazz up a bike which is lacking in some other way.

I'd listen carefully to the engine, and take a gander at it too. Should that plastic bit be there on such an old engine? Maybe not. And again, did it start cold?

These are things I wouldn't really know many of the answers to, but I would feel good about using them as potentially big warning signs. Maybe someone else who knows vintages can add some real specifics for this particular model. Get the VIN.

I still would prefer to look elsewhere myself. AT THE VERY LEAST, you can get an ET4 for that same price, and it would be faster, far far more fuel efficient, would emit less polution, would have better brakes, and would be more reliable. Not that going vintage is bad, but I am just saying I wouldn't pay top dollar that could get me a modern one unless I KNEW the vintage was worth it. And it seems folks in the know don't think this one is.

Good luck!
Ossessionato

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:13 am quote
The OP has received some good advice and has been warned but is too emotionally involved with buying this pig in a poke.
I just did what he could have done if he took a couple of minutes to investigate who owns the company and if they do anything else.

Sameer Pareek is a Partner/Owner and lists his email address on this page: http://members.fortunecity.com/outlinedspider/ref.html

By his email address, he is employed at Fleetwood Exim, which imports many products from foreign countries.
Here's the page for Fleetwood Exim: http://www.fleetwoodexim.com/

And look at one this page for some of the items they specialize in:
http://www.fleetwoodexim.com/autos.html

You will notice that there are three partners and two, partner/owners, the other partner owner being the owner of the Ragtime Bar and Grill.

The other partner probably manages the scooter business.

The likelyhood that this scooter was restored in MS is very suspect. Do you really want to throw this much money at a pig in a poke? Have you ever ridden a sidecar of any type? (I've owned six of them over a 35 year period on motorcycles). Do you really want to do business with someone who is not being straightforward with you?
I can tell you right now that even if everything was on the up and up with where this scooter came from and who restored it, it will be slower than dirt and handle like crap with the sidecar on it. It just won't have enough power to get on the road and move with traffic very well.

Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware)

Last edited by XLR8 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 am quote
stay away from it!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:37 am quote
This is a must read before you consider that bike.

http://www.rovers-usa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1938
Addicted
Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:43 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:

http://www.scootmagazine.com/forum.php
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 am quote
XLR8 wrote:
The OP has received some good advice and has been warned but is too emotionally involved with buying this pig in a poke.

Um... yeah. I'm very emotionally tied, as a matter of fact I just went ahead and bought it for $6,500. Sounded like a deal to me!
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:24 am quote
are you serious?
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:26 am quote
you bought it?
Moderibbit
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:27 am quote
I THINK it's a joke. The price is *only* 3,000 at the moment on the ebay link. I think the OP was responding sarcastically to XLR8
Addicted
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:
XLR8 wrote:

Um... yeah. I'm very emotionally tied, as a matter of fact I just went ahead and bought it for $6,500. Sounded like a deal to me!
You do realize, don't you everyone, that this was a joke?
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:29 am quote
Ok, so it turns out the seller and I know a lot of the same people. I went to college with his next door neighbor and he owns a screen printing business with another guy I went to college with. He's young, likes hobbies/toys. Scoop on the scoot:
Refurbished in India
Shipped to Mod Scooters
It's a "1970 Vespa 150"
2-stroke
upgraded to 12 volt
VIN: V452 121 130644 (as best I could read)
6 month warranty from Mod Scooters
comes with helmets, new cables, spark plug, small tool set
$6,500

Pics loading now
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 am quote
chad wrote:
you bought it?
gothca
Addicted
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:32 am quote
scootinjackson wrote:
chad wrote:
you bought it?
gothca
Ossessionato

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:33 am quote
I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. Just pointing out that you appear to be headed down the "I'm gonna buy it path, no matter how much anybody points out that it many not be a very smart decision"
When all the evidence is in, it's highly likely that this scooter/sidecar came from India where it was restored in the usual fashion that they restore them.

Good luck to you and if you think it's a good deal, then buy it and enjoy it.

OOPS!........................you posted while I was composing this post.
Never mind

Last edited by XLR8 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Moderibbit
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:33 am quote
$6,500!? I hope you said "FUDGE THAT"
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 am quote
When he said $6500, I was like... oh... ok. There's no way I would pay that much for any scooter, regardless. I was questioning it at $3000. It was nice looking and it fired right up. It has 41 miles on it now, he has been riding it a little.

Last edited by scootinjackson on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am quote

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:41 am quote

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:42 am quote

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:43 am quote

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:47 am quote

Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.4965s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0602s) ][ Debug on ]