64 Vespa Sorting out
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:50 am quote
I am new to the Forum and Vespa ownership, however am very handy with the wrench. I thought I might document some of my trials and tribulations with my new toy. I have been into Vespa's for awhile but recently found one that met my needs about 2 months ago. It is an all original(except for the seats) 1964 150cc Vespa with its original blue paint. It has a nice patina and is very solid but does have some issues. The engine runs but is a little lethargic up hills and starts to make a rattling sound after a few minutes of running. The other issues are the tail lamp and brake lamp dont work, the clutch lever is super loose, and the tires are worn out. I will get into each of these issues and keep you updated on how it goes.

blue vespa 3.JPG

Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:58 am quote
Also add to the list-the fuel reserve doesnt work . I found that out the hard way about 1.5 miles from my house when the engine crapped out and would not turn on again, even when I turned the lever to reserve. Let the fun begin.
Hooked
1983 vespa pk50s
Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:06 pm quote
at least it looks awesome.

itll be that much better to have when it works properly.
Molto Verboso
Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:37 pm quote
All minor problems which should be easy to sort. Looks great! Have fun-Todd
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:18 am quote
So the fun began this weekend. First order of business was to fix my electrical problems. I took apart the front headlight and removed the rear taillight and gues what I found. Someone had installed 12v bulbs in my 6v electrical system. This now explains why my tailight was not functioning. It turns out the speedo bulb is tough to get , however I managed to find one when I had ordered some parts last week. Fortunately I had anticipated replacing some bulbs, so I made sure I had every bulb on the bike, before I started working. I also found a broken wire to the speedo lamp, which I resoldered and sleeved. Bolted it back together and checked that item off my list. I also put on my new Michelin tires. I believe the ones on the bike were original(scary) It is neat to see the difference in the 2 tires. Tomorrow I will see what is lurking in my fuel tank.

recon 3.JPG

recon 5.JPG

tire 1.JPG

Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:21 am quote
Some other neat things on my bike are the original break-in decal is still intact, as well as the original steering lock and 2 keys. I also got the original owners handbook with it as well.

break in.JPG

manual 1.JPG

manual 2.JPG

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 am quote
Lucky!!! That is a BEAUTIFUL condition scooter. I'm jealous. Original manual, keys, paint, running in sticker!? I'm drooling.

I can help you with any of these issues you're stuck on.

I'd wager you need a new fuel tap on your tank, so order up one of those the next time you're calling in a parts order. Or, you could try to clean out the one you got ....but it could be pretty gunked up with varnish crud and rust particles.
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:57 pm quote
Wow! That's a beauty. You're going about it the right way. One thing at a time. Which ever route you decide to go with the fuel tap, order a fuel tap wrench. It's a pain to remove without it. It's something you may only use once but having the right tool is a must in this instance. I've been able to get by with a basin wrench in a pinch but not recommended.

Last edited by Killo on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:55 am quote
Great minds think alike. Thanks for the tips. As luck would have it, I did indeed get a new fuel petcock along with a bunch of other parts that I anticipated I would need, before I pulled the bike apart. I am very dangerous with a parts catalog in my hands, as I imagine many of you are. The fuel tank was completely crudded up with about 2 inches of sludge on the bottom and around the petcock. I decided that the best way to tackle this job would be to pump out whatever fuel I could and fill the tank a quater of the way with some speedi-dri absorbent. I did remove the petcock before I did this, and put a piece of duct tape over the hole. With the fuel cap closed, I shook it vigorsly back and forth and up and down. This worked out really well. I was able to empty the contents out with a few shakes back and forth with both holes open. This left the inside of the tank nice and dry. I then put it in my sand blast cabinet and gave it a good bead blast from both sides, but only on the inside of the tank, taking care not to damage the original paint. I then installed the new petcock and a new fuel hose with an original type clamp and problem no.2 has been checked off my list. Next step, the motor.

fuel 3.JPG

fuel 2.JPG

r 15.JPG

Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 am quote
With the day off yesterday, I decided I would put back the gas tank and get this scooter running, however I realized that I would still need to address the motor noise and so with little hesitation, I pulled out the motor. I decided at this point to pull off the glove box and tail lamp as well and give it a good cleaning and polishing.

dirty motor 4.JPG

recon 2.JPG

recon 7.JPG

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:23 am quote
What a lovely project you've got there!

How did you manage to get hold of such a beauty, and the cost to it?

Do you find original spares?

I would be interested in knowing where to get hold of some original spares - got a 1963 160GS original. She's pretty ok for the moment, but some minor things needs attention. Still 6V, I do struggle with the electrical issues getting the lights work properly. I don't know where to start.
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:24 am quote
After alot of scrubbing, I was able to get the engine to look really nice. I then decided to pull the head off and take a peak inside. The cylinder was in good shape as well as the piston, so the noise has to be coming from down low. At this point, I decided to send the motor out to someone who is more familiar than I am with these motors, so off to Scooters Originali it goes. Gene had done a great job on my wifes motor so I am excited to get this one done by him as well. This will now leave me more time to do a thorough cleaning and buff/wax on the bike, while the motor is away. I will also replace some of the grommets and small rubber bits to give it a more tidy look.

clean motor 2.JPG

piston.JPG

motor parts 3.JPG

Last edited by 64Scoot on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:33 am quote
skoeter wrote:
What a lovely project you've got there!

How did you manage to get hold of such a beauty, and the cost to it?

Do you find original spares?

I would be interested in knowing where to get hold of some original spares - got a 1963 160GS original. She's pretty ok for the moment, but some minor things needs attention. Still 6V, I do struggle with the electrical issues getting the lights work properly. I don't know where to start.
Thanks for the kind words. Spares are plentiful here in the US. Quality of spares seems to be one of the big issues that I have found. As far as the 6v electrical system, I have found it to be ok, as long as all your wires are in good shape and all your bulbs are 6v, which is what the issues were with mine. Start by pulling off your headlamp and tail lamp and checking the connections and making sure you have the correct bulbs in place.
Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:13 am quote
I'd have them ditch your deflector piston setup while you have it there.

As long as scooters O has it, and they're cracking the cases, you should toss in another couple hundred bucks and have them put on a DR177 kit or something. Squeeze a little more HP out of it.

My 2 cents. It won't make it look any less stock. Sito+ exhaust, DR177cc, 20/20 carb.
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
I'd have them ditch your deflector piston setup while you have it there.

As long as scooters O has it, and they're cracking the cases, you should toss in another couple hundred bucks and have them put on a DR177 kit or something. Squeeze a little more HP out of it.

My 2 cents. It won't make it look any less stock. Sito+ exhaust, DR177cc, 20/20 carb.
Gene had recommended that as well so I will be taking that advice less the exhaust
Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:48 am quote
you won't quite get the power out of it unless you use an exhaust that breathes more than the stock one. You'll notice a far greater performance increase with the sito ... but it DOES hang a bit lower, the shape is different, ( though it still KINDA looks stock ) ...and it does change the exhaust note to more of a "pock-pock-pock-pock" instead of the purr of the stock exhaust.
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:31 pm quote
Less than 2 weeks and the motor is back. Now time to bolt it in and get this bike back on the road. I decided to keep the original patina on the fan shroud and cylinder cover so I cleaned them up, but did not paint them. Also notice the original exhaust which I sandblasted and painted, it still has its original factory part number stamped on the side. Also notice the original style clamp that hold the cables close to the case so they don't hit the exhaust.

m1.JPG

m9.JPG

m13.JPG

Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:37 pm quote
Here are a few pics of the parts that came out of the motor. It turns out it had quite a few issues including a broken piston and some very beaten up bearings.

mp 1.JPG

brkn piston.JPG

bearings.JPG

Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:43 am quote
A little(actually a lot) of cleaning goes a long way. I was able to really get the underside clean with some amazing results, yielding the factory primer in near perfect condition as well as the original paint still on the front end. I guess the factory deemed it to much money to spend, painting the underside. Sorry I did not take befor pics, but I am sure you can imagine what it looked like based on the engine pics.

r 11.JPG

r 13.JPG

r 14.JPG

Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:46 am quote
Here is one last shot of the bike all cleaned up, assembled and shiny awaiting the engine.

b 1.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:55 am quote
Nice work, this is the kind of stuff I like to see!
Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:24 am quote
very nice, bud. I'm impressed.

Scooters Originali did a great job on that engine! What did they charge for all of that work, if you don't mind me asking?

-Eric
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 am quote
They charge a flat $600.00 labor plus parts for a standard rebuild. When comparing their parts prices with the catalogs and others, their parts prices seem to be very reasonable , not to mention they pride themselves in selling high quality parts. The motor sounds great. A vast improvement over what it was. I cant wait to take it for a spin on Friday(my day off) Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:42 am quote
You should get the original paint color sampled to get a modern paint code. Others might be able to get theirs painted the original color. My '66 VNB was that color of blue originally. I wasn't able to match mine exectly to the original. It's close by not quite like yours.

You've done a great job on it. Congrats.
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:03 pm quote
Killo wrote:
You should get the original paint color sampled to get a modern paint code. Others might be able to get theirs painted the original color. My '66 VNB was that color of blue originally. I wasn't able to match mine exectly to the original. It's close by not quite like yours.

You've done a great job on it. Congrats.
I am currently working with my paint shop to do that so I can have some touch up paint to fix a few spots. Unfortunately it has not been as simple as I thought and requires a bit of additional mixing on top of the standard starting color. As soon as I get a positive result, I will let you know
Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 pm quote
Well... the standard code is going to be way brighter than what you've got at this point. Remember that the original paints were single stage laquers ...they have faded and such. If you mixed up the tint these days on a single stage urethane, you'd need to add some flattening agent to get it to have the same vintage sheen as aged laquer paint.

My paint guy can do this. He matched the paint on the front fender, headset, centerstand, rims, and rear floorboards to the patina on the rest of the bike by adding a flattening agent....so there wasn't a big clash between the resprayed parts looking all shiney and glossy, and the old parts all matte.

Molto Verboso
LX150 Darling Plum; GTS 250 Dragon Red; Honda Big Ruckus Demented Bastard
Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 pm quote
I agree with skoeter, you are one lucky guy to find such a sweet scoot!! You are doing that clasic scooter great justice on how your restoring her! I bet no one on MV can let you know how much good it feels to see someone like you recovering a vintage scooter and putting her back on the road. I so wish I had gotten a Vespa 20 years ago, and I can not think of why I never did... Especially when I see that 64 polished up with original paint in a beautyfully aged patina. Som one must have loved that scooter enough to keep it protected, and I can tell from the pictures that you are worthy of such a fine lady!!
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:10 pm quote
Copper Dolphin wrote:
I agree with skoeter, you are one lucky guy to find such a sweet scoot!! You are doing that clasic scooter great justice on how your restoring her! I bet no one on MV can let you know how much good it feels to see someone like you recovering a vintage scooter and putting her back on the road. I so wish I had gotten a Vespa 20 years ago, and I can not think of why I never did... Especially when I see that 64 polished up with original paint in a beautyfully aged patina. Som one must have loved that scooter enough to keep it protected, and I can tell from the pictures that you are worthy of such a fine lady!!
Thanks for the kind words. It definitely appeared as though the scooter was cared for. There was a lot of wax residue all over it, which is a sign to me that someone cared about it somewher along the way, not to metion it is really pretty straight and rust free.
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:12 pm quote
[quote="Rover Eric"]Well... the standard code is going to be way brighter than what you've got at this point. Remember that the original paints were single stage laquers ...they have faded and such. If you mixed up the tint these days on a single stage urethane, you'd need to add some flattening agent to get it to have the same vintage sheen as aged laquer paint.

My paint guy can do this. He matched the paint on the front fender, headset, centerstand, rims, and rear floorboards to the patina on the rest of the bike by adding a flattening agent....so there wasn't a big clash between the resprayed parts looking all shiney and glossy, and the old parts all matte.

Eric
I agree and I certainly dont have an unrealistic expectation of the paint match however the first go around was way off and too light in color. I have a good shine going on the scooter right now, so I wont be using a flattening agent. BTW nice Lambretta. I see you and I think alike when it comes to patina.
Hooked
Vespa LX150 - Excalibur / Asphalt Grey
Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 pm quote
This thread was a fun read. As someone who will eventually get into this stuff (after the baby is a bit older and I can justify the time/expense), it's nice to see it done properly.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 am quote
Show them the one you did for your wife. It brings joy into the lives of addicts.
Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:49 am quote
BlueBunny wrote:
Show them the one you did for your wife. It brings joy into the lives of addicts.
Are you directing this to me?
Enthusiast
64 Vespa 150cc
Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:58 am quote
BlueBunny wrote:
Here is the 125 VNB I did for my wife before and after. I was able to match the original paint color from a section under the floor mat.

fin 1.JPG

vespa side.JPG

Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:42 am quote
Beautiful bike!

Yeah, under the floor mat is the money place. I was able to get the exact stock paint code from my GS160 mk1 from under the floormat. Hadn't faded or been scratched or anything. It's a little paint treasure trove!
Hooked
Vespa LX150 - Excalibur / Asphalt Grey
Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:39 am quote
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Nice job!

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:44 pm quote
Rover Eric wrote:
BlueBunny wrote:
Are you directing this to me?
Aren't we all addicts at this point?
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:26 am quote
This forum (and thread [as with some other threads alike]) are the very reason for it to exist!

Apart from appreciating the emancipation of the Vespa to a modern top class scoot, - the real beauty (to me) is in seeing classic vintage Vespas (and Lambrettas) taken care of, restored (meticulously) with love, proudly displayed, going the whole nine yards (without falling into the Asain cheap trap).

I would like to applause you guys; on great info, sharing your expertise, and showing us these beauties in full glory.

I would aspire to get mine to this condition.
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:30 am quote

Thumbs up!! .... I wanted to say

Ant
Vbb 1962
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:59 am quote
Amazing, that's beautifull great work
Honestly, i was rebuild mine too, but unfinish yet
Very inspiring :thumb:
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1941s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0520s) ][ Debug on ]