@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Hi all, my first post here... just wanted to say I rode a Silver Vespa GTS 250 ie today here in Toronto..
I currently own a Black GT 200cc, and will be upgrading.
I can say the new model rode well, the extra power is nice, though hard to completly judge when riding on side streets... power delivery seemed smoother though. The saddle height is indeed a tad lower, and the new trimings look great...
Kev.
8)
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
I test rode a red one several weeks ago. Found it 10kph faster than my GT200, and significantly more acceleration. But I won't be upgrading in the near future - am taking the cheaper option of a PM exhaust and maybe a few other performance accessories.

Will you upgrade to black again? I had great difficulty deciding between black and silver for my GT200. Chose silver, which looks nice but is a bit tame. Will probably go black when I do eventually upgrade. Red is very visible, but not my colour. But I do like the darker red that I have seen pics of!

If you are selling your GT, I hope you can get a good price for it. There might be a glut if a lot of people are upgrading, as is happening here in Sydney!

Mike
OP
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I've decided to purchase the model I rode today in light Silver (it's here as a demo), as in Canada I'm told, it will only be sold in Red or Black... 8) my Black GT 200 will be traded in..
@christine avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT200

Addicted
@christine avatar
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
Riding in T.O.
Kev,

It must have been a chilly ride! I didn't take my scooter to work today because of the forecast of flurries...which didn't happen!!

Which store has the GTS?
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
curious. call me crazy but I've been noticing that the larger the engine, the slower a CVT will seemingly respond off the line.

My atlantic 500's a bit more sluggish off the line than the GT, and my GT got beat regularly by Zumas and ETs off the line... unless people are just goin' wide open on the throttle, it just gave me the impression that when it came to CVT bikes, more displacement/torque seemed to net bad results off the line.
OP
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I'm not sure if the "off the line" speed was faster or slower than my current GT 200, but the mid range seemed to have slightly more urgency.
I know what your saying about bike mass verses power in a CVT, but I'm sure Piagio would have designed the bike to not slip under load wouldn't they? I'll let you know when I meet a GT 200 at the lights..

I wasn't too bad riding to work this afternoon, but when I leave at 10.30pm it's going to be chilly for sure.. only 4 miles to travel though, and two pairs of gloves helps. I also have double lined pants and a full face helmet...
It's Ice the I'm most worried about... gulp

K.
OP
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Traded in the Black GT for the Silver GTS this morning, expect full delivery in late February 2006...
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
curious. call me crazy but I've been noticing that the larger the engine, the slower a CVT will seemingly respond off the line.

My atlantic 500's a bit more sluggish off the line than the GT, and my GT got beat regularly by Zumas and ETs off the line... unless people are just goin' wide open on the throttle, it just gave me the impression that when it came to CVT bikes, more displacement/torque seemed to net bad results off the line.
Okay: "You're crazy!" Seriously, though, part of this may be that we often compare 2 strokes with 4 strokes.

My first modern scoot was a Yamaha Vino kitted out to 68 CC and it was super-quick off the line. Very frantic, and the power was very much Right Now. One of the benefits of the 2 stroke is that the power is developed at low RPM and they rev up quickly. The big 4 stroke bikes, besides being heavier, take longer to spool up. The most noticeable example of this is the Honda Metropolitan, or the old ET2 (2 stroke) vs the new LX50 (4 stroke). The 4 strokes really lack that BANG off the line response.
⚠️ Last edited by Bzzz on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200
UTC quote
JNV
You could use lighter roller weights in the variator. It will make the engine rev higher before the belt hits the pully, then it will increase the acceleration because the engine will already be at a higher rpm. I did this to an Aprilia I had, it became a wheelie monster after that.
@fallow avatar
UTC

ET2 70cc

@fallow avatar
ET2 70cc
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
The most noticeable example of this is the Honda Metropolitan, or the old ET4 (2 stroke) vs the new LX50 (4 stroke). The 4 strokes really lack that BANG off the line response.
I just wanted to point out a typo, as you likely meant to compare the old ET2, not the ET4 to the LX50. Both are (/were) 50cc scoots, but it's important to note as well that not only is the 2t advantageous in overall power-stroke-every-damn-time pep, it also (resultingly?) puts out considerably more power total (5.1 bhp) vs the LX50's 4.1.

In an engine that size, 20% makes a big difference. And I've found the LX to be a bit of a dog, especially compared to my kitted ET2. (I look forward to seeing some tunes LXes, however, because I like the handling more than my ET--though it took some getting used to.)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0644s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0376s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]