G'Day from Downunder.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.
Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:28 pm quote
G'Day All, Just to introduce myself instead of lurking.
I'm an oldie and have been scooting since 1962 .
Yes I was at Brighton 63, (64 the bad one)65.
Rode Slimstyle Lambrettas then.
Switched to PX200 in 1989 and think these are the greatest workhorse ever, mine is of course a mod machine with lotsa chrome attached even down to the aerial. I have to say my disc brake model is heaps better, blow what the purists say, I like to stop when a car cuts me off.
We have an energetic club here www.magnetos.org and get the max out of our machines. Deliberately set up to be for all scoots, and in my opinion all the better for it.
The GTS250ie is just starting to arrive , we have quite a lot of ET
2/4 and GT riders .
ALL the BEST for this site, much needed . Welldone.
Old Mod
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:29 pm quote
Old Mod-- welcome! Bring on that historical perspective....
Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS
Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:33 pm quote
Hello Old Mod - good to see you keepin' the "faith". Welcome to the MV home page.
Funny you mention Brighton '62, year I was born in fact - I'm from the UK - I had a bad experience in Brighton as a punk about 20 years later with a gang of skinheads - funny, haircuts my change but attitudes don't.... sometimes
I've checked your website and it is pretty full on, really good. You must be dead chuffed to see all these scooters about now and it's good to see you not bag on the new models, I've yet to have a friendly wave from anyone on a vintage scoot... or any type of wave for that matter!!
Maybe it's the haircut???
Addicted
Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:43 pm quote
Modernist.
Hi Paul and Pdx.
PDX from what I hear Portland/Seattle is a hotbed of scooter riding which is pretty good as I thought it was very wet around there.In fact scoots seem to be popular all the way down the West Coast .
Paul ,yes some riders are stand offish or should that be oafish , sorry bad play that one.

Which leads me into a conversation I was having the other day with a good friend(heavily into scoots as well) and I said the original stylists the earlier mods were into cutting edge (as much as they could afford) and they wanted the latest scooters , Italian style was admired and they were the LOOK. Sooooo what would a 1962 mod go for today if you time transported them to 2005? Not a vintage but a GT/GTS the modern spiritual successor to the Rally or SX200 or an ET the successor to the ss90.
Just a thought.
Cheers Old Mod.
Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS
Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:55 pm quote
Quote:
Which leads me into a conversation I was having the other day with a good friend(heavily into scoots as well) and I said the original stylists the earlier mods were into cutting edge (as much as they could afford) and they wanted the latest scooters , Italian style was admired and they were the LOOK. Sooooo what would a 1962 mod go for today if you time transported them to 2005? Not a vintage but a GT/GTS the modern spiritual successor to the Rally or SX200 or an ET the successor to the ss90.
That's good to hear!! Most of the geezers that ride the older machines are from looks of things the same age as me but with bigger shoulders for those extra large chips! Don't know why they have an issue, if you're on two wheels out there I give you respect.
You must have led an interesting life mate back in the day. Shi* I thought it was hairy enough being a punk rocker, let alone an original Mod like yourself!!
Gotta run, peace.
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:26 am quote
OM, I hope you have some paraphrenalia from Days of Yore, at least some pix-- Do share!

You're right, Portland & the Pac. NW are a hotbed of scooter culture, both old skool & new-mod, and yes, it is drizzly here, but confronting the elements fiercely is part of the ethos .

Your point about the evolution of cutting edge style is spot on!
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:39 am quote
Old Mod,

Welcome to the forum. We'll be happy to have your perspective from the other hemisphere (like several others here) and more importantly from the periods you've experienced firsthand.

Glad you joined us.

Jess
Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:20 am quote
Welcome OM

We need pics of your scoot. I love chromed out mods. Especially from someone who's had firsthand experience. do post
Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:30 am quote
G'day mate! thi struly becoming global forum.

And yes, pics pics!
Hooked
LX150
Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:15 am quote
I may join you soon. . .
I'm ready to pack up my LX150 and join you folks in NZ
for the rest of my life. How's immigration there?
Is it tough for Americans to get in?
I'd love to hear more about scooting in NZ.

I'm a Mod-Mod myself--I want the latest scooter model,
just like in the old days!

Last edited by scooterboi on Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:30 am quote
Welcome, glad to have you here!

Speaking of the wave...

I get the wave a lot and give the wave a lot to motorcycles here in Denver. Surprisingly enough, it's the Harley guys that wave and wave back the most. The sport bike folks don't seem to be as friendly. I find that most people respect anyone on two wheels.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:58 am quote
Nukie wrote:
Surprisingly enough, it's the Harley guys that wave and wave back the most. The sport bike folks don't seem to be as friendly.
This is my experience as well. I do get occasional waves from sport bike types, but as it seems to be more frequent on rural roads at higher speeds, I often wonder if they wave before they notice that my GT isn't a motorcycle...
Addicted
2005 GT200
Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:29 pm quote
jess wrote:
I often wonder if they wave before they notice that my GT isn't a motorcycle
That's funny. I get that feeling, too, sometimes. It seems they start to wave and then have a "what the...?" moment.

Kevin
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:42 pm quote
not too much 'tude here-- this is a scooter & bicycle friendly city-- I get lots of MC waves [y'know: that ultra-cool under the handlebar wave. Give 'em that, & you're in...]. Maybe the sport bikers are too intent on speed, or tucked too far forward, w their legs tucked back, to manage a wave
Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:38 pm quote
I hardly get any waves over here and when I do, I'm often caught by surprise and have to give a fast little wave
I started out waving a lot of them, but stopped out of frustration ... The bike sthat do wave back are mostly touring bikes.
Addicted
Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:48 pm quote
Old Mod calling
I dont know much website protocol so will answer all if you dont mind.
Pdx Ok on the wet roads up there, but you have gotta admit disc brakes are betta in suspect conditions and I feel much safer than on say my drum brake PX200 I had before. I believe Vancouver BC has a scene too.

Jess Thanks for welcome and other writers.I dont want to be a boring old xxxx and rave on about the glory days ad nauseum so just ask if you have specifics.
I agree about waving and rural roads I think riders have a wish for support from any other rider when OUT THERE.

JerryG and Hayes Sorry to say alot of pics are on slides and I havent looked at changing formats somehow. Hayes if you like those vespa calendar shots go to scooterculture.com and scootermaniac .

Scooterboi yep I like that MOD_MOD lets get With it and not Lost in Time, I am guilty of that of course it is part of the human condition .

Nukio I use the underarm salute when overtaking and a straight arm forward when approaching. I wave anyway hoping to instill the spirit to someone.

In case you havent look at our club site www.magnetos.com , we had a birthday ride last week and had 90 scoots, which ,out of a small by US standards city, was good the word is spreading. Magnetos have 150members and Chapters are starting in other provinces.
Have a great weekend.Old Mod
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:52 am quote
Wow, 90 scooters is great by any standard! I'm waving at you old-mod, in spirit.
Hooked
LX150
Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:13 pm quote
License Plate
Hey, old MOd. . . today, before I put my scooter away for the winter, I looked at the license plate and noticed that it starts with "NZ". hmmm...maybe I WILL go to kiwiland someday...
Enthusiast
'02 ET4 187 / '69 GP150
Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 am quote
Re: License Plate
scooterboi wrote:
Hey, old MOd. . . today, before I put my scooter away for the winter, I looked at the license plate and noticed that it starts with "NZ". hmmm...maybe I WILL go to kiwiland someday...
At the risk of barging in on our founding President / Chairman's thread, it's great over here (I'm a Brit Ex-pat too) there's great scenery just a few miles out of any City and aside from Akld the roads ain't full just yet.

So in the words of Beavis "Go on, do it, do it..."
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.7157s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0714s) ][ Debug on ]