Vespa LX 150 + Salt == Rust?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
LX 150
Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:37 am quote
What a great forum! Found my way over here from the "other forum" and I have to say the atmosphere is much more relaxed. I'm likin it.

I'm relatively new to scooting. Have about 3K miles on my LX 150. Been trying to keep on riding it but I just noticed that winter has finally really shown up. It's snowing and we are going to get some inches today. So I need some advice. Here are some of the particulars.

I have to keep my scoot outside on the street. And I live in a place where there is street cleaning, so I need to move it from one side of the street to the other two days a week. I have a cover for the scoot. I also have the option of putting my scoot in my parents heated garage.

My dilema is simple. I'm not sure if I should try to scoot as much as I can through the winter. Or put the scoot into my parents heated garage until say, March. Although when I bought the scoot I had the attitude that I was going to run it into the ground, I'm not so sure now. I want it to last a long time too. So here we go.

Will road salt cause my scoot to rust? I'm not sure that it is manufactured in the same manner as cars today. I really don't want it to rust.

Is road salt a hazzard in the way the gravel is? I think I can correct for it, but I have no experience with it and I'm not sure what more experience riders may think.

Can I ride through the actual snow? It is similar to a car? I'm probably going to give it a shot around the house tonight just to try it out. I have to try!

Or should I just put it away until March? And take the risk that that amazing warm day pops up in the middle of Decemeber and my head explodes because I can't scoot into work.

Advice is appreciated.
Ossessionato
Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:40 pm quote
If you've got an indoor place to park it, do it.

You're concerned about salt & gravel rusting is very valid. If you don't mind washing your scoot frequently, ride all winter. If you're not fond of playing with water when the temps are below freezing, first the sand/gravel will chip the paint, exposing bare metal. Then the salt attacks that bare metal and starts the corrosion process.

You should also be concerned about errant plows. Yeah, they say say they plow one way, one day, and then the other way the next, but why take the risk?

Unless you're a die-hard rider, park it.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:44 pm quote
Re: Vespa LX 150 + Salt == Rust?
My dilema is simple. I'm not sure if I should try to scoot as much as I can through the winter. Or put the scoot into my parents heated garage until say, March. Although when I bought the scoot I had the attitude that I was going to run it into the ground, I'm not so sure now. I want it to last a long time too. So here we go.

Will road salt cause my scoot to rust? I'm not sure that it is manufactured in the same manner as cars today. I really don't want it to rust.

Yeah road salt will eat away at your scoot. If it has a chance to sit on the scoot the terrible effects of salt will do it's damage. The actual salt and/or slag can nick the paint opening it up for rust.

Is road salt a hazzard in the way the gravel is? I think I can correct for it, but I have no experience with it and I'm not sure what more experience riders may think.

Yeah here too. Just as "slippery" as gravel and there also might be ICE around.

Can I ride through the actual snow? It is similar to a car? I'm probably going to give it a shot around the house tonight just to try it out. I have to try!

Yikes! I'd try it on someone else's scoot! Hate to mess up a beautiful LX.

Or should I just put it away until March? And take the risk that that amazing warm day pops up in the middle of Decemeber and my head explodes because I can't scoot into work.

That's what I'd do. This way you'll have your LX in perfect condition and ready for another riding season. I thought I'd be carefree with my first scooter when I got it but I liked it so much it became (like my present scoot) a treasured piece of machinery.

Advice is appreciated.[/quote]
Vinnie

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:50 pm quote
We don't get anywhere near as severe winters here in the UK as you describe but here's my two penn'rth.

Ride it as long as you feel comfortable.

Salt will rust a metal bodied scoot so keep it cleaned.

Riding on salt/grit is not the same as gravel,

a) It tends to crumble under tyres.

b) You'll be glad of it if you're riding after snow/ice.

It's the opposite of gravel, it provides grip rather than takes it away. (but don't get over confident and expect summer levels of grip!)
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1268s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0265s) ][ Debug on ]