OP
UTC

LX 150

LX 150
UTC quote
I have been putting my '75 Super back together. I am to the point of installing my gas tank. I am so far unable to figure out the trick for this. The feul control selector has to be install prior to installing the tan. If it is not you can not get the secureing pin in. When trying to install the selector handle hits the frame prior to reaching the hole. I also have to line up the oil tank sight glass. Anyone know the trick for this?
@urchin avatar
UTC

Stella, Rally 200

@urchin avatar
Stella, Rally 200
UTC quote
I swear I've done this six times in the past couple of weeks working on the Rally. Here's what worked for me, I'll be curious to hear if there's a better trick.

With the fuel tap in the 'C' closed position (far left) I set the selector arm dangling a little to the right. I start to angle the tank in, front first, aiming the arm towards the hole. Keeping the selector arm on the right just about centers the hockey-stick end of the lever. Looking through that hole at the top of the frame you can see where the small hole for the fuel arm is. When I get the 'C' end near the hole, I actually put my finger in there to help guide it. As soon as it's right at the end I grab it with padded needle nose pliers and pull it through as I'm setting the back of the tank in. Then you can slowly wiggle it down into the final position. The oil view glass seemed to seat itself after the fuel tap was fed through.

Good luck!
@vp1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@vp1 avatar
UTC quote
It's not too bad. Turn the fuel valve to the on position(straight up) and it'll go through. Put the front of the tank in first and as you lower it in tilt the tank left or right to get the arm to swing into position to go through the hole.
Have fun-Todd[/i]
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
UTC quote
It's pretty effin bad, IMO - any of those pre-p-series, autolube bikes ( mid 70's largeframes )....

I think Urchin's description is pretty good. Another option is getting the fuel tap lever that's a bit longer ( there are like 3-5 different length fuel tap rods ).

I'd say keep at it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0470s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0231s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]