Tires
Post Reply    Forum -> Modern Vespa Wiki
NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:12 pm quote
Created article Tire tawk

(This message was automatically generated)
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:02 am quote
Matt - could you tell us more about what you'd like to see this article become?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:41 am quote
jess wrote:
Matt - could you tell us more about what you'd like to see this article become?
A collective resource regarding the different tires we've all used. The plusses, minuses etc. for others to refer to. For instance, some swear by Heidenau tires, I have no experience with them...what do they like~dislike about them? Please add.

Also, many people that may use this resource may own second-hand models, and not know what tires they initially came with, the good and bad of those tires that were once OEM to them.

If that type of thing isn't what the Wiki is about, I'm clealry outta the loop that way
Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200
Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:39 am quote
Well, the wiki isn't exactly a place for discussion. That's what the forum side is for.

What I think you're getting at is archiving the various tire review threads we've had, and I'd support that. Basically if you want to list all the various tire options and list the pros and cons of each, go for it.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:47 am quote
No no, you're doing fine. Don't let me scare you off. I just wasn't sure of which direction you wanted the article to go. I think I was thrown off by the title.

The difficulty here is that a chorus of personal experiences don't translate well to wiki articles, in that everybody's opinion of each tire is going to be subjective and probably at conflict with the other opinions. What makes for a good discussion topic doesn't necessarily make for a good wiki article. For instance, Fred might get 2,000 miles out of a Michelin Pilot Sport while Sam might get 5,000 miles. Which one of them is right? Well, both of them, actually. That kind of valid difference from rider to rider makes a comprehensive article about experience difficult, and so major wiki efforts tend to shy away from that which is purely subjective.

Still, information about tires is sorely lacking. What would work well is an objective description of the tires themselves, inasmuch as that's possible. A description of the tread pattern & design, sizes available, what conditions the manufacturer intends the tire for, dual compound vs. not dual compound, and so on. That kind of compendium of verifiable facts works very well in a wiki setting.
Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200
Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:50 am quote
Well I do agree that tire reviews are subjective, but the figures are good for a ballpark estimate.

Tech specs and a summary of the available field reports would be good.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:17 pm quote
thefuzzylogic wrote:
Well, the wiki isn't exactly a place for discussion. That's what the forum side is for.

What I think you're getting at is archiving the various tire review threads we've had, and I'd support that. Basically if you want to list all the various tire options and list the pros and cons of each, go for it.
Yes I do understand that the Wiki isn't a discussion board, more of a reference guide (?) and perhaps my article title was poorly chosen. The pros and cons of each tire is entirely subjective however, I was hoping others could add their input as well, and make for a somewhat "educated reference guide".
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:22 pm quote
jess wrote:
No no, you're doing fine. Don't let me scare you off. I just wasn't sure of which direction you wanted the article to go. I think I was thrown off by the title.

The difficulty here is that a chorus of personal experiences don't translate well to wiki articles, in that everybody's opinion of each tire is going to be subjective and probably at conflict with the other opinions. What makes for a good discussion topic doesn't necessarily make for a good wiki article. For instance, Fred might get 2,000 miles out of a Michelin Pilot Sport while Sam might get 5,000 miles. Which one of them is right? Well, both of them, actually. That kind of valid difference from rider to rider makes a comprehensive article about experience difficult, and so major wiki efforts tend to shy away from that which is purely subjective.

Still, information about tires is sorely lacking. What would work well is an objective description of the tires themselves, inasmuch as that's possible. A description of the tread pattern & design, sizes available, what conditions the manufacturer intends the tire for, dual compound vs. not dual compound, and so on. That kind of compendium of verifiable facts works very well in a wiki setting.
I agree, and understand. In the case of tires (and BiTubos and exhausts, and....) the raw specifications and manufacturer input don't neccesarily equate to much real-world, useful information for a scooter newbie or someone faced with the dilemma of their first after-new tire purchase.

But as discussed, that leads us back to the general discussion area, which this isn't.

This will be a fine line for me, as I'm a man of many opinions! This isn't the venue for opinion. No problem, will need to take a different tack is all.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 pm quote
mattgordon wrote:
This will be a fine line for me, as I'm a man of many opinions! This isn't the venue for opinion. No problem, will need to take a different tack is all.
Opinions are fine. Very few facts are without any difference of opinion, so I think it's a given that some subjectivity is acceptable. What might be good in this particular situation is for one person (I'm nominating you, Matt! ) to summarize the consensus opinion about a particular tire (or multiples). For instance, the Michelin Pilot Sport is generally considered a sticky performance tire, and there's not very much disagreement about that. That's a reasonable thing to state in a summary of tires, because it's the consensus opinion.
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:50 pm quote
Could we add in some general info on wheel balancing and tire sealants such as slime?

Dave
Ossessionato
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie
Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:03 am quote
Just a couple of days ago, I asked about what "type" of tire to use under specific conditions. For instance, our roads are in pretty terrible condition and always will be. I asked what tire I should use for broken cement roads, dirt/mud and stone roads as well.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:34 am quote
TrafficJammer wrote:
Just a couple of days ago, I asked about what "type" of tire to use under specific conditions. For instance, our roads are in pretty terrible condition and always will be. I asked what tire I should use for broken cement roads, dirt/mud and stone roads as well.
I think you'll find that there are lots of differing opinions in the world of tires, and very few definitive answers. The few scraps of definitive-ness are around what kind of tire to use for wet / snow / mud, and not so much one type of pavement or another.
Ossessionato
Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:09 am quote
Mileage estimates could be most useful if compared with another tire on the same bike used by the same rider.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:07 pm quote
Changed name of this article.
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150
Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 am quote
Added note on the tires delivered with the Super.
Ossessionato
Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 am quote
I added a few changes, including minor corrections, more specific tire model names, and various applications.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Neck Scarf   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
Post Reply    Forum -> Modern Vespa Wiki
[ Time: 0.1058s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0241s) ][ Debug on ]