OP
@suzyq avatar
UTC

1980 Primavera and 2007 LX150

@suzyq avatar
UTC quote
Hi:

I posted this in the general discussion but I see that it's probably more appropriate here...

I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable value for my 1980 Vespa Primavera 125cc is. It seems they range from $2500-$4500 Canadian. Mine's in good shape, three-year old engine rebuild, low km. Any guidance on what the value would be? I am not expecting the wholesale would show up on my Used Vehicle Info Package (provincial requirement for selling --usually it lists the basic price).

Thanks in advance.

Suzy Q
@sakkerju avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa 50 Special '71 / Vespa 150 Sprint V '78

Molto Verboso
@sakkerju avatar
UTC quote
Re: Going price for a 1980 Primavera?
suzyq wrote:
Hi:

I posted this in the general discussion but I see that it's probably more appropriate here...

I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable value for my 1980 Vespa Primavera 125cc is. It seems they range from $2500-$4500 Canadian. Mine's in good shape, three-year old engine rebuild, low km. Any guidance on what the value would be? I am not expecting the wholesale would show up on my Used Vehicle Info Package (provincial requirement for selling --usually it lists the basic price).

Thanks in advance.

Suzy Q
There is a similar one for sale at a local dealer overhere...
Looks nice and not too expensive IMHO...haven't seen it in reality though.
http://www.joepklassiekers.nl/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=10
OP
@suzyq avatar
UTC

@suzyq avatar
UTC quote
Thanks --very helpful. I guess it all comes down to the particulars though (condition, etc.).
@sakkerju avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sakkerju avatar
UTC quote
suzyq wrote:
Thanks --very helpful. I guess it all comes down to the particulars though (condition, etc.).
Yes, good shape and above all 'originality' counts heavily
So does the miles on counter etc...
Having the dealer invoice papers is a big plus, but 'local' pricing matters a lot too...

I love the small-frame primavera like the one on the link.
If I wouldn't have my yellow Special I might....
@phaetn avatar
UTC

Addicted
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore

Addicted
@phaetn avatar
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore
UTC quote
Just as a point of comparison from someone who's closer to home:

I bought a 1978 Vespa Super 150 (Mk II, Eurospec) for CA$3200 this past summer. I'm in Ottawa, but bought it from a private dealer in Toronto; it was actually a private sale, but since he had a Dealer's License number, we didn't need the Used Vehicle Info Package. I had it safetied by a friendly local garage so I could get it licensed, but I knew I needed to put work into it before I would deem it safe for driving.

I quickly put in a few more hundred in things like new wheels and tires, new cables, front drum brake, mirrors, etc. The engine was reputedly rebuilt, though I still had a local vintage scooter mechanic give it a once over (including opening the carb) and gave it a clean bill of health after the work I had done on it. That said, he never split the engine cases and that's a job for this winter since i know there are some transmission issues (likely caused be a worn cruciform or cush drive, but hopefully not chipped gears!).

To be honest the speedo is obscured in terms of mileage (it was around 14,000km showing) but it's meaningless since it wouldn't indicate the miles since the rebuild and certainly isn't accurate in any event. As it is I pulled the orig speedo cable and use a bike computer now since it's much more accurate (magnet on wheel with pickup on front brake cable).

In terms of affecting its price, it's very likely that my scoot is of Indonesian origin, given the make (Super 150s are very popular in the Orient), but it doesn't appear to be a horrifying bodge; it's also relatively uncommon as it's a Eurospec (3 port motor with decent grunt, trapezoidal headlight).

This info might be of use to you. My scoot did have a fresh paint job, though it's not of the highest quality (it can chip easily, I've discovered). That said, nothing can protect it from the garage door that was dropped on it this summer!! eek!!

Some people in the States (especially from sunnier climes where scooters are popular) will be surprised by the prices. That's just the way it goes, I guess -- different prices in different markets. Here in Canada, and especially Ontario, they're not cheap.

Here are some pics if you're interested for comparative purposes.

I dare say you'd also get a better price come April-May, when spring fever hits, rather than November, when everyone is putting things away for the winter...

Cheers,
phaetn
OP
@suzyq avatar
UTC

@suzyq avatar
UTC quote
Just as a point of comparison from someone who's closer to home:

I bought a 1978 Vespa Super 150 (Mk II, Eurospec) for CA$3200 this past summer. I'm in Ottawa, but bought it from a private dealer in Toronto; it was actually a private sale, but since he had a Dealer's License number, we didn't need the Used Vehicle Info Package. I had it safetied by a friendly local garage so I could get it licensed, but I knew I needed to put work into it before I would deem it safe for driving.

---Terrific, Phaetn, this is very helpful. I have a feeling my engine case would need to be cracked open at some point too to replace a gasket (it leaks oil, but performs well). You're advice about selling in the spring is a sound one --I debate whether to see what bites I get right now, but it may be worth waiting in the long run. I think I would seriously have under-estimated the price but based on (a) the rarity of small frames and (b) the similarity of yours and mine (mine's only 125cc but similar year, paint job issue, and overall condition (save for the garage door 'incident' --argh!)), I think I could do just fine reselling.

Thanks for this.

Heather
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0560s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0253s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]