NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
OP
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Created article Vespa ET Range
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Separate articles for the ET range, ET2 and ET4?

The LXs are all organized in one article, which also includes the LXV and Vespa S. I think this should be one way (all inclusive) or another.
OP
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Hi Eric,

I'm okay with whatever way people think is best. I made separate articles for the ET2 and ET4 because I figured in later years people will come looking for specific information related to their specific scooter. It's amazing how quickly information becomes lost...it's actually already getting hard to find some ET info that used to be there for the taking. I can see this wiki Jess has created becoming really valuable to users in the future.

More info might be added later that would be more helpful to end users, I'm just trying to help flesh out the bones.

I would think separate articles for the LX range would be in order too, but it just takes a little time. What does everyone think? Separate articles for the ET2 and ET4, or combined? Should all the GTS models be combined? The LX series?

So far my preference would be separate articles, but I'm definitely able to be persuaded otherwise. I really like the look and feel of the LX article.

Len
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Well... I can see benefits to doing it both ways. If someone's looking for LX150, ET4 or whatever, a lot of the essential information might be in the "LX Range" article. Also, many of the links and references would be redundant.
OP
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Jess, what is your thought on this? Eric brings up a good point and I'd like a little more input on this. Should we have one large article for all the ET's, or separate articles for the ET4, ET2? Either way is fine, but I agree with Eric that consistency is good. Any thoughts?

The GTS article is a good example of a single article which includes all models in the GTS range, while the ET articles are separate. I think we could delete the article "ET Range."
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
It's also a matter of whether we adapt to not having a search or organize knowing that we will have it someday. For instance, some people may be looking for info on the Vespa S and not know it was spawned from the LX.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I'm just as torn as you guys, and can see the benefit either way. And I don't think there's a single answer that satisfies all conditions.

There are a lot of things that are common among the range, but I don't want to slide all the way down the slope and have, say, all LX-derived models (LX, LXV, S) in one article. Same goes for the ET, which has the ET2, ET4, and 50, 125, and 150 variants, not to mention LEADER and pre-LEADER versions. This essentially means that we're probably going to have to live with some redundancy in the articles.

Len might be on to a good way to handle it, though. We could have a single article that covers the range of variants ("family", if you will) and briefly cover the models in that range, with a link to a more in-depth article specifically on that model. The model-specific article might itself be fairly brief in some cases (I'm thinking LX-50 here) but that's probably okay.

The "range" article could also have some history on the range, a timeline if you will, so that people can see and understand what derived from what.
ericalm wrote:
It's also a matter of whether we adapt to not having a search or organize knowing that we will have it someday. For instance, some people may be looking for info on the Vespa S and not know it was spawned from the LX.
We will have search at some point in the near future. However, we should definitely have a well-defined hierarchical organization of articles.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Cool. Then I'll split up the LX variants. I suppose guiding rule would be for the "range" article to have all the information they have in common and for the individual model articles to have the information that's unique.

While splitting the ET Range into ET2 and ET4 seems pretty clean, for the LX, we'd need: LX Range, LX 125/150, LX 50, LXV, Vespa S 125/150, Vespa S 50... which I guess is okay, right?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
While splitting the ET Range into ET2 and ET4 seems pretty clean, for the LX, we'd need: LX Range, LX 125/150, LX 50, LXV, Vespa S 125/150, Vespa S 50... which I guess is okay, right?
I think that's okay. Yes, that's a lot of articles, but there seems to be quite a bit of confusion over which ones are the same as which other ones, and in what ways.

And some redundancy is okay here, too. Each article should have a spec table, a list of FAQs that apply, a list of colors offered, a history, and so on.
NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0602s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0314s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]