@jwhite2 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P200E

Hooked
@jwhite2 avatar
1979 P200E
UTC quote
well this is my first post and actually my first vintage vespa! im so excited. has 1000+ original miles and i got it for 1850. i noticed one thing when i got it off the trailer today. it takes ALOT of kicks to get it started. like 15ish? thats too many i know. what could be the problem? also, seems like the throttle is really tuff to twist. is this normal because its older? can i lube something up to remedy this? lastly, what mods can i do just to make an overall smoother machine? shifting, throttle, idle. i want everything to be extremely smooth and easy. one or two kick starts etc. its already got all the power i need (although i might add the sito plus exhaust after any other mods are done.) Thanks for the help and i am so excited to be joining this awesome community!
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Did you trailer it with the fuel tap open? If so, It's probably flooded.
@christos_x avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...

Molto Verboso
@christos_x avatar
No Scooter no more...
UTC quote
Re: bought a p200e. need help
Jwhite2 wrote:
what mods can i do just to make an overall smoother machine? shifting, throttle, idle. i want everything to be extremely smooth and easy.
You bought the wrong machine its a two stroke its supposed to be a bit shake rattle and roll. Love the clunk
OP
@jwhite2 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P200E

Hooked
@jwhite2 avatar
1979 P200E
UTC quote
ah i did forget to turn the fuel tap off. well even when i went to inspect it the guy had a little trouble starting it. took him a few more kicks than it should have. he said it didnt normally do that and i am so anxious to have one that i didnt question it. after it started going it had no problems restarting on one or two kicks. (it died on me a few times because its my first manual scooter.)

when i say smoother i mostly mean one or two kick starts and my throttle and clutch. i know the ride itself isnt going to be overly smooth without some expensive aftermarket suspension. any more suggestions.

oh one more thing. is it supposed to leak FRESH oil? like its blue not black so i dont think its bun run through the motor. is there some kind of let out for excess oil that i dont know about?
@christos_x avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...

Molto Verboso
@christos_x avatar
No Scooter no more...
UTC quote
Ah i's got yer....

LUBE IT UP, lube is your freind, lube the cables, lube the throttle and gear bars (in the headset) lube the gears, lube yer batwing, lube the clutch and throttle handles. Adjust those cables, fiddle with your nipples keep em adjusted from time to time. thats the easy way, it should get most things slippery smooth (in a good way).

You could tinker with your idle until it purrs like a kitten in cat prison, keep your spark plugs clean and tighten shit up.

You could go the whole hog and strip down the engine and replace your bearings, cruciform, clutch etc etc.

but all of the above my make absoulutly no difference what so ever and it may still clunk and thud and crash and grind (OK hopefully not grind Crying or Very sad emoticon )

you can do it painlessly (relativley) or painfully.... do the simple shit first and if it still feels like your bones ar gonna fall out go on and do the hard stuff.

IMHO... if it aint broken, dont fix it
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
It should not be leaking two stoke oil. Where is the oil leaking from? Follow the dripping upstream to see where it's coming from.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
welcome new p
im just gettin back into this thing and im excited too.these guys girls are a group of people. nice stuff coming from a bone head from venice.i had a leak grom a cracked site glass.lost about a quart in the frame.she still leaks from splits near the floor.its cool until i tear that one down.i dont think your bike should drip anything but for wetness around the exaust from too rich if anything.enjoy.ride.bring it to the public.i and others like pics.later. jimmyjames
OP
@jwhite2 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P200E

Hooked
@jwhite2 avatar
1979 P200E
UTC quote
well i asked the guy i bought it from and he said it was leaking from the top because he had over filled it the day before. im gonna get it out and run it today to see if it continues to leak.

is there a guide to lubing this stuff up? i dont wanna just grease the whole bike up! (seats are leather... might be kinda hard to sit on!)

has anyone ever installed a fuel gauge for it? my old scooter had one and im kinda spoiled/ unobservant.

Thanks for all the responses guys! i know i have a place to ask all my beginner questions!
@die_wespe_kind avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 Genuine Stella, '03 Vespa ET, '62 Motovespa 150S (with a P125X engine), a '71 Rally 180, '57 Lambretta LD125 Mk. III

Hooked
@die_wespe_kind avatar
'04 Genuine Stella, '03 Vespa ET, '62 Motovespa 150S (with a P125X engine), a '71 Rally 180, '57 Lambretta LD125 Mk. III
UTC quote
I think some of the Lambrettas came with fuel gages, some incorporated into the gas cap. That is what the fuel reserve is for though, keep it off of the reserve until you need it, then stop at the nearest gas station and fill up.
OP
@jwhite2 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P200E

Hooked
@jwhite2 avatar
1979 P200E
UTC quote
well i found the leak. my uncle joe came over for thanksgiving and we took the gas tank out... was leaking from where the oil tank connects to that feeding tube up top. just need some tape to cut off the flow around the threads.. thanks all for the responses!

im still wondering what are some things i can do to make the overall experience smoother. (not necessarily ride) just seems like the throttle is tuff to turn and clutch is real finicky. the twist shifter is a little hard to turn. just wondering if a new clutch or something would help make driving it easier. im new to the clutch as my last scooter was automatic.

Happy thanksgiving all!
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Replace the cables, and use a cable lube tool. Simple tool, and effective.
@hp avatar
UTC

Addicted
'60 VS5, '63 Li 150 Special, '07 PX125

Addicted
@hp avatar
'60 VS5, '63 Li 150 Special, '07 PX125
UTC quote
Congrats on your classic scoot acquisition.

IMO, you need to take a deep breath, step back, and think about things logically. Instead of asking what can I do to make it smoother/whatever, just use common sense; moving parts like lubrication.

Take it one step at a time. If you're worried about the throttle, think about how the throttle works. If you don't know, look in one of the online parts manuals and start removing covers to look at the mechanism of things. Apply grease where things move.

I think that getting in the right mind set and working through it is better than just expecting a list of things to do. No one's gonna know better than the person riding the scooter, and if you start to get to know your bike you're in for a long and rewarding mechanical relationship!

Good luck!

-hp
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
leak
some guys and girls like to keep the oil tank low.right until the sight glass is full then youll have two things going for ya.you wont be up arond the tank connec and youll see the injecter is taking oil from the tank.it was once said that the beauty of the vespa is the limitations.it is a small invention ridden by big thinkers.dont over think and enjoy the small things.ride.enjoy.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0738s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0419s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]