OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
Hello!
Well, I know I connected some wires wrong, can't figure out which ones.
With scooter running:Headlight works, horn kind of works, rear blinkers don't work, front ones only work when I give it gas, break light blinks when turnsignals are on.
Not sure if the speedo light works.
Help! Scooter has not been ridden for more than a month!!
@hp avatar
UTC

Addicted
'60 VS5, '63 Li 150 Special, '07 PX125

Addicted
@hp avatar
'60 VS5, '63 Li 150 Special, '07 PX125
UTC quote
I know this sounds silly, but... have you tried looking at an electrical diagram for your bike?
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
I have, but they might as well be written in cirilic. I wish I would've listened to my parents and stayed in school past the 3rd grade
I think the problem is in the headset area, I messed up when I put it back together after changing it, I connected the wires the wrong way.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
if you dont mind. may i suggest as well that you print out a copy of that said diagrme (correct year and config)and find a well lit spot to study while observing the lay out of junctin boxes,front and back and batt side and ignition.those are all easy acces areas. a tester of sorts will be helpful. i have a fluke but a batt operated test light is cool to. now stay calm cause it was built by geniuses to be operated by idiots kinda.what i mean to say is it was right once,and you will make it right again.i start at the rear,i had to be reminded of this by sean in canada.been 20 years since i did this but it does make sence once you start.sip some coffee and look at your cdi box and that diagram and write down what you see.(i disconnect batt until i know my wiring is straight).the p does not need batt for squareing away wireing.and you also wont fry your bike while learning.our 12v batt will kill a harness if you make mistake while juiced.lengthy but true.jimmy
these are my notes but this shows what i mean by write down what you see
these are my notes but this shows what i mean by write down what you see
@sean_s avatar
UTC

Hooked
bunch "o" bikes

Hooked
@sean_s avatar
bunch "o" bikes
UTC quote
What year is your P?
did you disconnect the wires at the key or at the switches...or both??
If you cant follow the diagram, I can take a pic of the stock wiring at the key switch if that'll help you.
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
sean s wrote:
What year is your P?
did you disconnect the wires at the key or at the switches...or both??
If you cant follow the diagram, I can take a pic of the stock wiring at the key switch if that'll help you.
It's a 1980. I disconnected the wires at the key. Yes, a picture of the stock wiring would be very helpful, thanks!!
Like jimmy said, "it was right once..." I reckon I have not tried all the possibilities but I'm afraid of f'ing things up.
Thanks a lot for all the help.
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200
UTC quote
The tail light flashes instead of the blinkers because one of the signals on that side is shorted to the frame. The same thing happened to me after I crashed, breaking the steering stop and turning the headset all the way around until it pinched a wire.

So trace the wires and see if the insulation is stripped somewhere, probably where it goes from the headset into the frame.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
yes ,fuzzy is correct in saying colume pinch.very common if i recall.remember ,to learn as you go(the scooter help diagram is awsome).
so starting at the back of the bike will show you whats right if right and as you go the bike will show you whats wrong if its wrong.unless your impatient like i am and just wanna get it to work so you can ride.problem there is no sooner are you riding,your wondering if you forgot somthing,i do.
if nothing has been messed with you'll move forward pretty quick.its a cool system.
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
Thanks Fuzzy, there are some wires that look kind of dodgy, I'll check them out.
Hey Jimmy, you say that in scooter help there is a good diagram? I had found a good one on the net but did not save it, have not been able to see it again.
@vp1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@vp1 avatar
UTC quote
Electrical diagrams can be freaking confusing. I recommend not looking at the whole picture, just take a turn signal for example and figure out where all of the wiring goes, then move on the brake light, headlight, etc..
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
True dat!
I reckon that was (is) my problem, I tried to make sense of the whole picture instead of going by sections. At least I found out what color of wire is what.
@sean_s avatar
UTC

Hooked
bunch "o" bikes

Hooked
@sean_s avatar
bunch "o" bikes
UTC quote
Well, I took some pics for you...but...my USB cable is missing.
strangly enough, it's the same cable that my kids use on their IPOD's/MP3's/PSP's/cameras....the kids just shrug and look at me like I'm crazy.
but, see if this helps..

on the key switch,
pole 8 = green
pole 7 = double black
pole 6 = brown
pole 5 = double grey (the 2nd grey wire jumps over to pole 2)
pole 4 = double wire, white and white with green stripes
pole 3 = red
pole 2 = grey (from pole 5)
pole 1 = double white

Shit..now I'm going to mess you up..........I just remembered, I changed a couple of the wires for the SCOOTER O DISCO (long story)
*do you have a neutral light??
let me know before you start hooking up wires
THEN I'll give you the proper setup
@sean_s avatar
UTC

Hooked
bunch "o" bikes

Hooked
@sean_s avatar
bunch "o" bikes
UTC quote
O.K., I pulled the headset off another P (just for you)
here ya go
on the key switch,
pole 8 = green
pole 7 = double black
pole 6 = empty
pole 4 = empty
pole 3 = red
pole 1 = double wire, white and white with green stripes
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
sean s wrote:
O.K., I pulled the headset off another P (just for you)
here ya go
on the key switch,
pole 8 = green
pole 7 = double black
pole 6 = empty
pole 4 = empty
pole 3 = red
pole 1 = double wire, white and white with green stripes
Thanks Sean, I really appreciate this. Pardon my ignorance, but what do you refer to as "poles"?
I had the neutral light until I started the bike a few hours ago, now it won't come on.
I looked for messed up wires and only found a green one that needed some fixing, which I did, other than that the wires look tip-top to my very untrained eye.
Thanks again.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
the poles are the things your connecter slides on to.sorry to interupt sean. so my posting links is weak,i gotta learn that,but i sent a pic of the page on scooterhelp.com.print a couple of mcopys to have around.don'tbe scared, its just a bunch of colored lines,haha.i use the 1979 and after with the 8 pole ignition,battery of course.jimmy
what is not there that helps is the color code for our wires.ask sean to send that
what is not there that helps is the color code for our wires.ask sean to send that
@sean_s avatar
UTC

Hooked
bunch "o" bikes

Hooked
@sean_s avatar
bunch "o" bikes
UTC quote
the key switch has 8 tabs (poles) that the wires connect to.
hope this helps.
none of my P's have a neutral light, but the one I took pics of is wired for it....crazy Italians.
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
That's what I thought they were, but wanted to be sure.
Thanks for the diagram, Jimmy. Looking through the paper work I found a manual from scooterhelp.com that the PO included. The diagrams are there but they (and every other diagram I've seen) show the turn signals switch on the left side. My scooter has them on the right.
Thank you very much, Sean, that info will help me a lot. Some of the wires coming from the harness are not connected directly to the poles and I think that is where I made the error. I must've paired the wrong wires together. What about the earth connections on the cowls? Could that be part of the problem?
I want to thank you guys for going way past the call of duty in trying to help me out with this, that was very nice.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
hey thighs,that diagram i sent you has the turn signals on the right.the one i sent is an example of the one on scooter help you need to have around.find the exact one,enlarge to full page and print and frame.you will find it as usefull as a globe.i'm not jokin.jimmy
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
Thanks Jimmy. Believe it or not, these diagrams are starting to make sense to me.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
[quote="thunderthighs"]Thanks Jimmy. Believe it or not, these diagrams are starting to make sense to me.[/quote]

they are meant to.
@sean_s avatar
UTC

Hooked
bunch "o" bikes

Hooked
@sean_s avatar
bunch "o" bikes
UTC quote
"I must've paired the wrong wires together. What about the earth connections on the cowls? Could that be part of the problem?"

Did you CUT the wires? or do you just not know where they connect to?
I can tell you every connection under the headset (grounds/highbeam and signal indicators and stuff) if you need.

The rear turn sigs. are grounded to the cowls, and the cowls are grounded to the frame o the bike by the rear cowl pin and the spring clips on the top and front.

if you think this is fun, just wait for the day you get a Serveta
OP
UTC

Addicted
P200e

Addicted
P200e
UTC quote
No, I did not cut any wires, set coming out the harness connects to the ones on the poles.
Rear blinkers work! (I'll accept the Idiot of the Year award right now, thank you. ) Turns out I had painted over the contacts. The rear brake light still blinks when turn signals are on.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0984s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0687s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]