OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Well, I'm tired of putting gas in my Jeep, paying high insurance premiums and our ever rising parking fees at work. I stand to save about $2300 a year between the three with a scooter.

I am looking to replace the Jeep as my primary vehicle but I will have access to the wife's Honda Element as needed.

Here's a brief description of my commute in Baton Rouge, LA which takes about 12-15 minutes in my Jeep:
-1.5 miles, residential, 35 MPH, light traffic
-4 miles, 4 lane divided hwy (Not limited access), 60 MPH, light to moderate traffic
-0.9 Miles, 6 lane divided interstate, flows at 35-45 MPH, moderate to heavy traffic
-2 Miles, 4 lane divided highway (Not limited access), 45 MPH, light to moderate traffic

I've always had a thing for Vespas so that's where I looked first.

Right now I'm considering 3 options:

1) GTS250- Checked one out at the dealer. Very sweet! But ouch on the MSRP+TT&L. Is it worth it? Depending on what I get for the Jeep it may or may not be an option.

2) GT200- I wouldn't consider purchasing this one new because the $600 extra for the GTS250 seems well worth it but if I could find a good used deal I'd jump on it.

3) Fly 150- Now we're talking on price but will it stand up to my commute, or any 150 for that matter? I'd be driving it at it's absolute maximum 90% of the time just to keep up with traffic. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs. Also, it doesn't have the classic look

Any feedback on these choices based on my situation?

What about comments on a large displacement scooter vs. a "Real" motorcycle? Most people think I'm crazy when I say I'm considering spending almost $7k on a scooter. Their response is usually "Why don't you just get a real motorcycle at that price?". I just like the idea of a scooter for some reason even though my logical/practical side asks me the same question of itself.

Thanks,

Jeff
UTC

Molto Verboso
'06 Vespa GTS 250 i.e., '77 Vespa P200

Molto Verboso
'06 Vespa GTS 250 i.e., '77 Vespa P200
UTC quote
DO THE VESPA THANG!!!
YOU NEED a Vespa. Get over it, get on with it, don't look back, and get the 250. No regrets, really.

Unless you really will need (want) the m/c later for longer rides. But that's a different and later budget.
@italianscoots avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"

Molto Verboso
@italianscoots avatar
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"
UTC quote
Hi Jeff! I am originally from New Orleans (now in Berkeley, CA) and have a good friend in Port Allen, so I know the roads you speak of pretty well.

If you're going to be going over THAT bridge at all, I'd recommend at least the GT200 - you'll need that for the wind alone.

Don't worry about the "real" motorcycle people, they don't know what they're talking about . . .

And a really great reason to buy a Vespa is that your dealer would be the Materne Family who also owns Vespa New Orleans, they're a great group of folks and very helpful.

Hope this helps a bit and let us know what you decide! Good for you for replacing your Jeep with a scoot! I use my LX for everything except laundry and large grocery trips and love it!

-Mel
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I really enjoy the GTS, but a BV250 wouldn't be a bad choice either. The GT is nice, but the GTS really is an evolution of it.
@gt-sith avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
gt200

Enthusiast
@gt-sith avatar
gt200
UTC quote
i think GT will suit u fine!
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
1) You don't think you want a scooter, you know you want a scooter.

2) If you plan on using the highway, get the 250. I have a 150 and even though it may be just fast enough, it's still too darn light. Others disagree, so this is my opinion. I don't get near the interstates during commuting hours. Also, you have to consider how fast people actually drive...not just the posted speed limit. Not necessarily the same thing.

3) Price: For the price of a low range motorcycle, you can get a high range scooter.

4) Forget what other people say about a "real" anything. It isn't a "fake" scooter, now is it? If they ain't buying it for you, then it's your choice, not theirs. They can eat their hearts out with a fork with envy. Razz emoticon
UTC

Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e

Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e
UTC quote
Yep! GTS 250 or GT200. They do quite well on short jaunts on the freeway. I buzz up and down the SF Bay Peninsula all the time. Takes a little getting used to ( a couple weeks ) but then it's easy. My former owner commuted 100 miles all the time. Wear the gear, though. Doesn't matter if you fall off a Harley Hog or a GTS250 at 70 MPH. You slide exactly the same distance.

I would agree about a BV250 or BV500 because of the larger wheels, but the GT200/250 is a CLASSY machine in the city. Just hard to believe how agile it is. With its quite, buttery operation you can people watch ( only at the stop lights, of course...the rest of the time you're scanning carefully ) and be a live part of the city you're slicing through on your trip to work.

If money is a concern, the GTS250 really took a chunk out of the GT200's used price. They dropped, like $1,000 overnight! So you can find some bargains if you're a little patient.

P.S. If I weren't clear enough: The GT200 is a fantastic city machine!

Russ
@neuregel avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@neuregel avatar
ET4
UTC quote
hahaha how funny your asking people in a scooter msg board if you should get a motorcycle or a scooter LOL!!
@traum avatar
UTC

Hooked
the Piaggio trike

Hooked
@traum avatar
the Piaggio trike
UTC quote
I wouldn't recommend the Fly for your commute. As you've pointed out yourself, you'll be pushing the scooter at its absolutely maximum at 60mph. If you happen to get to a small incline, your speed will drop down to about 50mph quite quickly.

If money is not an issue, I'd personally choose the GTS or the BV250. The BV is actually a bigger bike than the GTS, and the larger wheels will make the highway portion of your commute a little more comfortable. And since you're 6'1", I think you might find the BV a little more comfy for yourself as well.

If $$ is an issue, you might want to see if you can get a deal on the GT200. Or if you don't insist on a Vespa, you should certainly check out the Kymco People 250 or People S 200 as well.

As to your scooter vs "real" motorcycle question, I think your choices would be somewhat limited if gas mileage and prices is a concern. You can certainly get a older and much cheaper bike, but then it'll be an older bike and you probably have to sink some $$ into repairs. If you're going for a new bike, there aren't that many 250cc motorcycles around. Off the top of my head, I can only think of the 2 cruisers (Honda Rebel / Yamaha Virago), a few dual purpose bikes (Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha), and only a single street sport bike (Kawasaki Ninja 250).

-Rick
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Hey Jeff welcome to the site! I really think that the GT/GTS would be the minimum bike you would want. They would both do the job, the GTS would give you a bit more oomph, and top end.

A good used GT is not hard to find, even some used GTS floating around. If possible test ride and see which you like.

As to the "real" bike issue. We all get that question, and at times I will admit it gets old. In the end it is you on the bike not them. Please yourself and not them, Beale.
@farsideman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 Vespa GT 200

Molto Verboso
@farsideman avatar
2005 Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
I hate to say this, but I would trade my GT200 for a BV500 with side carriers and a top box any day.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Welcome Jeff. Yup ... I would not be hitting a highway with a 150cc scoot UNLESS I was with a bunch of other scooters to ride in a pack. As you pointed out, you would be gunning it most of the time and it wouldn't give you enough remaining power to get yourself out of a bind if need be as a single rider.

I'd say get the GTS if you like the classic look or the BV250 if you would rather a more modern look like the Fly. The BV's are very nice bikes with the larger wheels. I had to have the classic Vespa look and went with the GTS.

I will second that you will love the Materne Family of Vespa NOLA and Baton Rouge. They are awesome!!

Scoots are cool. They have a sense of class and style. Everyone has a motorcycle. Dare to be different, you will really enjoy it!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Yup, ditto, etc.

150 air-cooled is a stretch for this ride. Get a GTS if you can swing it or look for a solid used GT and save yourself a couple thousand bux. If you get a non-GTS scooter, I recommend never riding a GTS or getting near one because it can induce a bad case of why-didn't-I-get a-GTS syndrome.

BV250 is also a good call and I'd add the Kymco Bet 'n Win to the list. If there's a dealer nearby it's very much worth a test ride.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT ABS
UTC quote
When I talk to most of my "motorcycle friends" they talk about the great mileage that they get, around 40 - 45 MPG. I'm averaging close to 70 on my GT. When recurring cost is the issue that's significant.

I'd watch the used market for either the GT or GTS. If you're willing to drive up to, say 200 miles to pick it up there always seems to be someone selling one with <1000 miles on it who "just never got around to riding it".
@bubbalynjoy01 avatar
UTC

2003 ET4

@bubbalynjoy01 avatar
2003 ET4
UTC quote
lomunchi wrote:
When I talk to most of my "motorcycle friends" they talk about the great mileage that they get, around 40 - 45 MPG. I'm averaging close to 70 on my GT. When recurring cost is the issue that's significant.

I'd watch the used market for either the GT or GTS. If you're willing to drive up to, say 200 miles to pick it up there always seems to be someone selling one with <1000 miles on it who "just never got around to riding it".
I agree on both accounts...I have both, a "real" motorcycle (Honda Shadow 600) and a very "real" Vespa ET4 (150). Both were bought used...if price is an issue, which it was for me for my first bike, you can find a used one in terrific shape.
And as far as which one to ride? I ride the ET4 to commute 13 miles to work on every possible day. The Honda is saved to ride with my husband, who rides a Harley.
Although, I have to say its more fun to ride with him when I'm on the ET4...we get so many looks when stopped at a light...too much fun

Get the GTS!!!
@hyperbole avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@hyperbole avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Jeff,

Welcome! Your questions are all valid and appropriate. I have conducted a meta-analysis of your commute and of the responses posted. I have a GTS that I purchased new a few months back. I commute 20 miles each way to work and only take the car when the weather is bad. My commute includes suburban streets, and 10 miles on the interstate at speeds of 55 to 70 MPH.

When I purchased my GTS I also had to decide between the GT and the GTS. My wife, who has lived in countries where scooters are widely used encouraged me to get the GTS and it was great advice.

I can say that I am only now really getting comfortable on the bike. I have over 1500 miles on the bike now. I made an effort to ride within my skill level and kept off the highway at the start. Now that I feel more in control I do not hesitate to take the GTS on the highway and it is very competent at the speeds posted above. Please note that I used the term competent. The GTS is superlative on surface streets, it is the perfect urban scooter. It is not however the perfect highway scooter. For highway riding, I wonder if a bigger, heavier machine would be better: Honda Silverwing, Piaggio X9, new Aprilia Scarabeo 500.

You need to recognize that any choice you make will reflect some compromise. There is no perfect scooter for all tasks. The smaller, lighter Vespa is wonderful in the city, not so perfect on the highway. The bigger, heavier, more powerful maxi-scooters are better on the highway, but less agile in the city. The new Scarabeo 500 is not yet available in the USA but it looks like it might be a great bridge between the two classes of vehicles.

Good luck with your choice.
@baldanzi avatar
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Sportcity 250

Hooked
@baldanzi avatar
Aprilia Sportcity 250
UTC quote
Where are you guys looking for used Vespas? I've hit all of the usual suspects (ebay, cragslist) in the Philly area. I guess I just have to be patient. The deal on the ET2 I was about to buy fell through. I've been bitten by the "bug" an now need a scoot. A used GT sounds like a sweet ride.....
@salty_dodd avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
(GT200L) ... no more scoot :o(

Molto Verboso
@salty_dodd avatar
(GT200L) ... no more scoot :o(
UTC quote
Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

We bought our GT200L for my wife to ride about 2 miles on city streets.

She decided that it is too much for her, so I started riding it.

I am 6-2+, 235lbs.

I ride freeway to work, 15 mile one way. My GT does 70 MPH easily, but I do stay in the right lane because most vehicles, including tractor trailers, and cars towing trailers are doing 75+. When traffic slows due to congestion, I then start moving into the other lanes.

I have not tried the GTS, so I don't have that regret of not getting the GTS. Besides, we initially got then GT for my wife.

Around town, the scoot is a hoot, and I would not hesitate to take it on a long run. I have yet to take it down to the beach, but intend to soon. I just wish I could rig something up to be able to take my surfboard.

Get a scoot!
@cricket avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 midnight blue, GTS 250 dragon red

Addicted
@cricket avatar
GTS 300 midnight blue, GTS 250 dragon red
UTC quote
Used GTs
Check with the dealers. Many people trade in or up shortly after buying their scoots.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Thanks for everyone's comments.

I'm in a tough spot here.

A 250 Nighthawk or the Yamaha equivalent is so much cheaper than a 250 scooter. The GTS 250 is almost twice as expensive as the Nighthawk. That's not even considering the used market in which I think the price difference would be even larger considering the number of used bikes of this type on the market vs. scooters of this type.

A part of me really would like the scooter for a few differnent reasons but I'm having a hard time justifying the additional cost. I know it will be easier to manage in town and on the LSU campus where I work and that's great but is is so much better that it's worth double the cost?

The other problem is neither the Vespa deler or the Honda dealer will let me ride them so I can't really get a good feel of either one.

Thanks,
Jeff
@jon_wallin avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 LX 150

Hooked
@jon_wallin avatar
2007 LX 150
UTC quote
Jeff d wrote:
The other problem is neither the Vespa deler or the Honda dealer will let me ride them so I can't really get a good feel of either one.

Thanks,
Jeff
You might want to find another dealer. I told my dealer there's no way I could ever afford the GTS and he still let me take it for a 1/2 hour spin. He even told me which route to take to get a good feel for it. Granted, Vespa dealers aren't near as common as car dealers, so you might be stuck with your current choice as your only choice.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Also, on the BV250. I checked one out and it was nice but it didn't really "do it" for me. IMO it's like 100% practical with nothing really spectacular about it to get me excited about purchasing it. I also found that surprisingly it had less leg room than the GTS by a couple of inches. I could sit back comfortably on the GTS with my legs at a slightly obtuse angle but on the BV my legs were at a 90 degree angle and I didn't feel relaxed on it.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Backpacker wrote:
Jeff d wrote:

Thanks,
Jeff
You might want to find another dealer. I told my dealer there's no way I could ever afford the GTS and he still let me take it for a 1/2 hour spin. He even told me which route to take to get a good feel for it. Granted, Vespa dealers aren't near as common as car dealers, so you might be stuck with your current choice as your only choice.
The dealer is cool but very small, he has like 6 bikes in stock. They're a satellite store of Vespa of New Orleans. He said I could probaly ride on if I went to their main store which is about an hour and a half away. I'll definitely do that before I buy.
@flanders avatar
UTC

Hooked
'07 GTS Rosso Dragon

Hooked
@flanders avatar
'07 GTS Rosso Dragon
UTC quote
I too have had both scooters and "real" bikes. Stick with the scoot for sure, you won't regret it especially if you do any city/traffic riding. Think storage and ease of riding and you'll be set.

Oh, and I really think the deal is a pre-owned GT200 for the money.
@traum avatar
UTC

Hooked
the Piaggio trike

Hooked
@traum avatar
the Piaggio trike
UTC quote
The choice between a motorcycle and a scooter is a personal one, and thus totally depends on your needs and preference. Before deciding on the Fly myself, I was facing the exact same issues as you. Ultimately, I choose a scooter because I just want to tool around town without having to worry about shifting at all. Also, I wasn't interested in performance riding. If I want to carve up some curves, I have my car and my manual transmission.

-Rick
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1630s ][ Queries: 28 (0.1270s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]