UTC

Lurker
PX150

Lurker
@shopunit avatar
PX150
UTC quote
I'm obviously new to this forum, and I've got two questions:

1) How would I make my px150 (2005) run faster? It's surprisingly sluggish, kind of feels like it drags, 1st and 2nd gears huff and puff with quite an attitude problem when I'm not even trying to gun them, AND it stalls out a lot.

In the bikes defense, this is my first manual transmission, I'm not very familiar with the clutch, I'm coming from riding an LXV (traded for a brand new 2005 px150), and it's freezing cold here in New York.

2) The bike hasn't started in a couple weeks. Granted, I hadn't attempted to start it for two weeks and left it sitting on the freezing cold sidewalk of Brooklyn, covered with a tarp. But now when I try to start it up and let it run for a few minutes, I get nothing. I feel the engine trying to turn, but it just can't do it.

So before I have it towed down to Vespa's garage, is there anything you guys could suggest I try?
thanks
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
UTC quote
1) Swap out the catalyzed exhaust with a sito plus exhaust, and upjet your main jet a couple points to compensate for the increased flow.

2) Are you kicking it over, or hitting the electric start button. If you're electric starting it, is the electric motor turning over, or is the battery dead entirely? If kicking it over, have you pulled out the choke before trying to start it? ( stupid question, but .. ) Are you sure there's sufficient gas in it?

A bike so new shouldn't really have problems with the carb gumming up or anything.

You sure all the kill switches are turned off ( like, the key in the ignition and the run / kill switch set to run ) ?

I dunno ...i could start running you through more advanced stuff than that ( stuff like checking the spark plug for spark + cleanliness, making sure there's gas firing in the carb and that your float bowl isn't stuck shut, etc ) but i want to make sure you've exhausted the easy things first.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Re: make my px150 go faster?
ShopUnit wrote:
I feel the engine trying to turn, but it just can't do it.

So before I have it towed down to Vespa's garage, is there anything you guys could suggest I try?
thanks
If the engine is "trying to turn" but isn't, you may have a weak battery. Try using the kick starter.

Al
@halijaro avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport

Molto Verboso
@halijaro avatar
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport
UTC quote
It does sound like a weak battery. Tip if starting from cold, pull the choke and kick over without touching the throttle. It should start after two or three kicks. If you open the throttle while kicking it, there's a good chance you will flood it and then you'll be kicking 'til your leg falls off.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
batterys don't like the cold any more than you do.
buy a battery tender junior and when not operating bike connect the tender to keep battery freshend up.
that should help with the batt. issue.
a good strong battery helps to start with.
@servicejeff avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman

Hooked
@servicejeff avatar
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman
UTC quote
sell your 150 and get a 200 from ASC and just swap them in the long run its less hassle unless you love to tinker and have the mopney and time. Good luck either way and have fun!
@scooter808 avatar
UTC

2005 PX150 Serie America #351

@scooter808 avatar
UTC quote
I'm thinking about the same upgrades for my PX150 (sito plus exhaust and new main jet). What's the trade off other than increased fuel consumption? Does the engine become less reliable, etc.?

Eric
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Scooter808 wrote:
I'm thinking about the same upgrades for my PX150 (sito plus exhaust and new main jet). What's the trade off other than increased fuel consumption? Does the engine become less reliable, etc.?

Eric
A little more exhaust noise. No loss of reliability.

Al
@firej avatar
UTC

Hooked
over 60 scooter spanning 75 years

Hooked
@firej avatar
UTC quote
the best thing I heard was to lose about 100lbs if your a fat ass that will give you at least 10 more miles per hour ,,

ok for real now

Get a DR kit if you can find one and go with a 24/24 carb and also america scooter center has thoses Fat pipes made its like a p200 pipe that mounts to a 125/150 and it will not sound like a GAY SITO pipe

but really there are lots of thinks you can do start out small and do believe what your speedo says its off by at least 10% so GPS the bike
@sarah avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Stella

Molto Verboso
@sarah avatar
Stella
UTC quote
The sito plus makes a huge difference compared to stock. I've ridden a friend's stock Stella and there is a very noticeable difference between it and my Stella with the sito plus and up-jet. It is a super easy mod and well worth it.
@firej avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@firej avatar
UTC quote
I disagree sitos are crap and block up to 40% flow because of the shit shit sound if you put a stock P125/P150 exhaust with the larger down pipe its much better performance with out changing the jetting that much we have it played out on a dyno posted somewhere on here

Stock stella exhausts are garbage unless your a good welder and replace the downpipe and take some baffel out only to be done with new exhausts because rust sets in so fast and rust don't weld too good
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
FireJ wrote:
I disagree sitos are crap and block up to 40% flow because of the shit shit sound if you put a stock P125/P150 exhaust with the larger down pipe its much better performance with out changing the jetting that much we have it played out on a dyno posted somewhere on here

Stock stella exhausts are garbage unless your a good welder and replace the downpipe and take some baffel out only to be done with new exhausts because rust sets in so fast and rust don't weld too good
100% agreed. Get one of these here:

http://www.americanscootercenter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_50&products_id=1260
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
i so glad this has come up. im not totally sold on my sito. can you guys tell me if this big bore will work on my p200 motor. and is it quieter than my sito.
@brandonpx avatar
UTC

Addicted
74 Rally 200. 79 P-whatever

Addicted
@brandonpx avatar
UTC quote
they arent being made anymore, but might be in the future.

sito+s are fine for what they are, nothing major.

and a tuned bike is just as reliable as a stock bike, just depends if its built right and requires a little more maintenance and attention.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
They aren't making them anymore? Why not?
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
i so glad this has come up. im not totally sold on my sito. can you guys tell me if this big bore will work on my p200 motor. and is it quieter than my sito.
minus the baffles...it will not be any quieter than your sito...but then again...you got yourself a beast P200! That thing needs to be heard!

In my opinion, I really don't like the look of the performance exhaust out there either...
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
im not much for the look of the shiny performance pipes either. thats why i got the sito in the first place,stock look-perfomance feel.
@brandonpx avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@brandonpx avatar
UTC quote
VLBJS1 wrote:
They aren't making them anymore? Why not?
they were specially made, and the people that did them havent popped any more out, but that may change this year.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
hey brandon,how about one for a 125. :P :lol: :lol: :D
UTC

Hooked
i have a few

Hooked
i have a few
UTC quote
i know you guy over the pond have really crappy laws, but my prefference is:

mallossi 166 kit

fully ported casings

28mm carb

22tooth reinforced clutch (standard 150 cosa clutch with the rivets welded and a band welded round top)

lightened fly wheel (or if elec start remove the motor and ring gear from the flywheel)

race crank, or std cut to 180 deg induction.

decent expansion chamber, sip, pm, jl, taffy, simmonini ect

if running oil injection remove and pre mix with 2.5% fully synth 2t oil.

paul

8)
@brandonpx avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@brandonpx avatar
UTC quote
pajd wrote:
i know you guy over the pond have really crappy laws, but my prefference is:

mallossi 166 kit

fully ported casings

28mm carb

22tooth reinforced clutch (standard 150 cosa clutch with the rivets welded and a band welded round top)

lightened fly wheel (or if elec start remove the motor and ring gear from the flywheel)

sounds like one of my bikes. minus the cosa, i hate those things. and mine does about 85ish.

race crank, or std cut to 180 deg induction.

decent expansion chamber, sip, pm, jl, taffy, simmonini ect

if running oil injection remove and pre mix with 2.5% fully synth 2t oil.

paul

8)
@scooter808 avatar
UTC

@scooter808 avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for all the great advice.

Final thought...I'm going to add the Sito Plus to my 05 PX150 and rejet. I've read countless threads on this site and others and there's no clear size to go with. The stock size is #98 and I live at sea level.

I've seen recommendations between 100 and 107. Any final thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric
@firej avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@firej avatar
UTC quote
Large down pipes are stilling being made I have 250 that came in on my Nov. Shipment

I just have to reweld the out pipe

The price will be $49 I think
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
FireJ wrote:
Large down pipes are stilling being made I have 250 that came in on my Nov. Shipment

I just have to reweld the out pipe

The price will be $49 I think
Nice! Hook us up with a link!
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
firej,i would like to put a order in ahead of time. will pm you this week. thanks. jimmyb
@firej avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@firej avatar
UTC quote
It was a split with other partners in south america we want to get a stock mold pressed in stainless steel but it almost 15 dollars more and half the batch is 125/150 and the rest are 200's

Jimmyb are you in america???
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
heck yea,right here in good ol venice cali-forn-i-a,WESTsiDE!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0398s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0139s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]