@kingnor avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 Vespito Bandito

Addicted
@kingnor avatar
'79 Vespito Bandito
UTC quote
How fast would you expect a 134cc '79 50Special to top out if it has a 134cc kit and 3 speeds?

i'm pretty sure i'm hardly reaching 50, which seems slow. I rode around a bit on tuesday and felt really small on the road. I was having trouble out pulling pretty much anyone and people were flying past me.

is there a way for me to look and see what cc the bike is for sure with out totally opening it up?

I am not a speed demon, but really i want the bike to keep up with surface street speeds and i feel like i have to go full throttle everywhere just to be the slow side of average.

thoughts?
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
Re: 1979 50 special. 134cc? hmmm
kingnor wrote:
How fast would you expect a 134cc '79 50Special to top out if it has a 134cc kit and 3 speeds?

i'm pretty sure i'm hardly reaching 50, which seems slow. I rode around a bit on tuesday and felt really small on the road. I was having trouble out pulling pretty much anyone and people were flying past me.

is there a way for me to look and see what cc the bike is for sure with out totally opening it up?

I am not a speed demon, but really i want the bike to keep up with surface street speeds and i feel like i have to go full throttle everywhere just to be the slow side of average.

thoughts?
sounds just like mine..3 speed also..pretty scary flying down Lawrence, but city streets are do-able.
OP
@kingnor avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 Vespito Bandito

Addicted
@kingnor avatar
'79 Vespito Bandito
UTC quote
about how fast do you actually go? i almost feel like a road hazard on lawrence or san tomas
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
kingnor wrote:
about how fast do you actually go? i almost feel like a road hazard on lawrence or san tomas
I was on my S and Pete was riding the smallframe. I think we got up to about 55mph on the Vespa speedo, which is about 5-7 mph off..So, maybe around 49-50..I dont' really like pushin the little one too much.

Stayed in the far right lane too
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
need... more.... info....

carb? pipe? gearing info? ignition?

i'm assuming a stock carb (19mm)
and stock V50 gearing

if that is the case then 50mph is about right.

i just did a V90 with a 135, and standard 3spd with stock V90 gearing and it pulls about 50~55

best,
-greasy
OP
@kingnor avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 Vespito Bandito

Addicted
@kingnor avatar
'79 Vespito Bandito
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
need... more.... info....

carb? pipe? gearing info? ignition?

i'm assuming a stock carb (19mm)
and stock V50 gearing

if that is the case then 50mph is about right.

i just did a V90 with a 135, and standard 3spd with stock V90 gearing and it pulls about 50~55

best,
-greasy
i don't know but it sounds like you're probably set up just like me. so i am maxing out at about 45-50 then.

what to do... what to do...
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
kingnor wrote:
what to do... what to do...
realistically, there's no easy answer here. ideally, a 4spd set up is going to be where you want to be. at a minimum switching out the primary gearing would be a start. but if you've got the cases split then you might as well drop the coin and add the gear.

besides that, making sure that your carb and pipe are properly matched and the clutch and ignition are in top order would be a start as well.

best,
-greasy
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0542s ][ Queries: 10 (0.0289s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]