Lost my keys including MP3 key with the seat button
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Member
Mp3 250ie
Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Location: LA
Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am quote
One of my biggest fears of having a Mp3 250 happened today
I lost the key with the seat release button..

I only have the other brown key that starts the MP3


Is there a manual release for the seat you can get to through the trunk or something..

I am scared to think of what a replacement will cost or the drama that will come with getting one.

Can anyone help me,what a bad day

Last edited by Theabbot on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
Piaggio MP3 500 & Triumph Sprint ST
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 946
Location: Oceanside, California
Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:25 am quote
Just PM'd you
Member
Mp3 250ie
Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Location: LA
Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 am quote
Thank you Spartin
But I think you misunderstood my post.

I can still open the trunk with my spare key.

I just can`t open my seat since the key I lost was the key with the seat unlock button..

So im acking of there is a manual way to replease the seat and how how do I get a replacement key with the trunk release button (and what im in for)
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250
Joined: 08 Aug 2008
Posts: 382
Location: Concord, CA
Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:55 am quote
You have to open the trunk to get to the manual release for the seat storage. Once you open the trunk you have to feel around the top bit just below where the latch would be on the seat. You have to move it to the side. The problem is with using the manual release all the time is that if you finally do get a remote again you may have buggered up the release so the remote doesn't release the latch for you. That happened to me when my darling little angels stowed my key in their lego box for a couple of months. Found the key and when I used it you could hear it trying to work but the seat wouldn't release. I could release it manually. I had to take the bike into the shop anyway to have the trunk liner replaced (broken upon arrival from Italy) and had them take a look. Getting that release fixed for the remote is not a small deal. It would have cost me a bundle because they would have had to dismantle the seat compartment or trunk just to get a look. But since they had to dismantle it anyway it was nada.

In those 2 months the key was lost I had waited for my dealer to order one. Never got it. I even said that I would take it as an extra when I found the other and still never got it. But I hear that there is a great dealership in San Diego - maybe they will be quicker. The key costs about $100 and needs to be cloned after. There is a gentlement on this forum that does cloning. He is highly recommended by many listers. His screen name is jimh I think. If I don't have it right someone will. He is a very nice guy and sent me my spares lickety split.

Good luck - I know exactly how you feel.

Dale
Addicted
Piaggio MP3 500 & Triumph Sprint ST
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 946
Location: Oceanside, California
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 pm quote
dccappy wrote:
You have to open the trunk to get to the manual release for the seat storage. Once you open the trunk you have to feel around the top bit just below where the latch would be on the seat. You have to move it to the side. The problem is with using the manual release all the time is that if you finally do get a remote again you may have buggered up the release so the remote doesn't release the latch for you. That happened to me when my darling little angels stowed my key in their lego box for a couple of months. Found the key and when I used it you could hear it trying to work but the seat wouldn't release. I could release it manually. I had to take the bike into the shop anyway to have the trunk liner replaced (broken upon arrival from Italy) and had them take a look. Getting that release fixed for the remote is not a small deal. It would have cost me a bundle because they would have had to dismantle the seat compartment or trunk just to get a look. But since they had to dismantle it anyway it was nada.

In those 2 months the key was lost I had waited for my dealer to order one. Never got it. I even said that I would take it as an extra when I found the other and still never got it. But I hear that there is a great dealership in San Diego - maybe they will be quicker. The key costs about $100 and needs to be cloned after. There is a gentlement on this forum that does cloning. He is highly recommended by many listers. His screen name is jimh I think. If I don't have it right someone will. He is a very nice guy and sent me my spares lickety split.

Good luck - I know exactly how you feel.

Dale
Dale,

jimh is the correct person (I just sent the same message to Theabbot regarding contact of Jim).

Barry
Member
Mp3 250ie
Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Location: LA
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:06 pm quote
I just sent jimh a PM

But even with a cloned brown key.

I just seen in the manual if I loose the red key no repairs can even be done on the mp3,is this true??

Im officially scared as hell now
Addicted
Demon Black 500
Joined: 25 May 2008
Posts: 548
Location: Austin, Tx
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 pm quote
Don't worry. The brown key is the red key.You need the brown key for certain issues regarding the ECU and ignition, and I guess to program new keys? No se.
Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 1093
Location: Austin, Texas
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:18 pm quote
Open the back hatch.
Get a mirror to look at the saddle latch..
It looks like the picture below.
Pull the latch wire...Viola

stickyfrog seat lock.jpg
stickyfrog's photo

seat lock best look.jpg
My seat latch photo

Hooked
MP3 500, Kawasaki Versys, KLX250S, Buddy 150 Pamplona
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 432
Location: Seattle
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:28 pm quote
On the 500 you can open the seat with the key in the ignition by pressing it in and turning anti-clockwise (opposite of opening the fuel cap). Is the 250 different?
Member
Mp3 250ie
Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Location: LA
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:34 pm quote
Kabuleiro wrote:
Don't worry. The brown key is the red key.You need the brown key for certain issues regarding the ECU and ignition, and I guess to program new keys? No se.
So they don`t need the seat key to work on Engine ECU and ignition?
Are you saying im fine with my brown key and a dupe and the only downside in not being able to pop the seet anymore?

Please advise.
Member
Mp3 250ie
Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Location: LA
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:35 pm quote
alba wrote:
On the 500 you can open the seat with the key in the ignition by pressing it in and turning anti-clockwise (opposite of opening the fuel cap). Is the 250 different?
yeah its different.
I think the mp3 500 only has a seat and not a back trunk

Last edited by Theabbot on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, X9 500 Evo, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 30695
Location: London UK (for a few weeks)
Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:34 pm quote
Theabbot wrote:
Kabuleiro wrote:
Don't worry. The brown key is the red key.You need the brown key for certain issues regarding the ECU and ignition, and I guess to program new keys? No se.
So they don`t need the seat key to work on Engine ECU and ignition?
Are you saying im fine with my brown key and a dupe and the only downside in not being able to pop the seet anymore?

Please advise.
Exactly so. It's the bad translation of Italian to English that has turned 'brown key' into 'red key'. The brown master key is the one never to lose! You should be able to get a new red key with the seat remote. A good locksmith (jimh) will be able to get it cut using your master key as a template - or your code card if you were given one. Then the ECU will need to be programmed for for the new key's RFID and the seat receiver will need resetting and re-programming with the new key's TX ID. The procedures for these steps is in the workshop manual.
Addicted
mp3 250
Joined: 15 Jun 2008
Posts: 693
Location: West malaysia
Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:36 am quote
My 250 have a brown master key.
Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 1731
Location: Upstate N.Y.
Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 am quote
For the record, the instructions for opening the saddle through the back hatch are in the owner's manual. And it has been discussed before on MV.

RTFM, search, post.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.5784s ][ Queries: 35 (0.3235s) ][ Debug on ]