Mounting a Video Camera on a Vespa GT200L
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
Many

Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:11 pm quote
Mounting a Video Camera on a Vespa GT200L

Having a rack on the front of my GT200 made this task much easier. I tried mounting a camera many ways but this was the most solid with very little vibrations. As a matter of fact, my first video made with this setup can be seen throughout the Current TV program about Rage 19 including the opener. I bought and tried 2 different wide angle lenses but ended up liking the lens that came with the camera best.

Another view from the front showing the http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/ourgear.php?page=ac3_overview VIOSPORT Adventure CAM 3 mounted with the same mounts used for my GPS bought from http://www.gpscity.com GPS City. This photo also shows my GPS.

Here you can see the Lanc Remote also bought from Viosport. This turns the camera off and on along with putting it into record and standby mode. I use my thumb to do all of this without taking my hand off the grip. The LED changes color to indicate what mode it is in.

The Handycam I chose is the Sony DCR-HC42 MiniDV Handycam®. It is super small but better quality then standard TV.

I run the cable from the camera into the glove box through the top of the top of the left door/speaker cover. I made a notch into the side so that I can remove the cover easily and/or remove the camera easily. The switches seen are for some of my other mods that I will share in another post.

I cut a hole in the top of the glove box to pass the camera wire on into the glove box.

The wire coming down into the glove box. I already had 12 volts running into the glove box that I use to run the Handycam and Camera. I also have the option to run both on supplied batteries too.

To mount the Handycam so that it isn't taking the direct vibrations of the scooter, I cut up a block of foam to fit inside the left side of the glove box.

I gut out the block to fit the Handycam inside along with the wires.

Here you see the Handycam inside the glove box.

I used a piece of sticky backed foam on the glove box door to keep the camera from getting scratched up.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:03 am quote
Nice work Jess.
I like the custom foam idea. It really turns the mostly useless glove box space into a functional, item specific (video camera), cradle.

I have been thinking about an integral method of mounting accessories on the scooter. My goals are to make it appear integrated with the scooter's lines, not have any exposed wires, and have good functional placement without interfering with any controls or obstructing any views. Impossible, you say?

Well, how about a video camera mounted in a faux front fender headlamp? That's just a teaser.
Addicted
2005 GT200
Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:42 am quote
self-made scooting video
So do any of you with mounted video cameras have videos online that you can share with us? I'd love to see your riding movies.

I made two short movies last summer and then played with them in iMovie on the Mac. These aren't from a mounted camera, just a handheld digital camera with a movie capability (yeah, I was riding with one hand on the handlebars, no traffic at all, though). They are from the Virginia countryside and are in Quicktime format (.mov).

http://kevjot.com/photos/050813inn/vespa.mov (2.2MB, 20 sec.)

http://kevjot.com/movies/wine2.mov (8.4MB, 81 sec.)

Now show us your videos!

Kevin
Ossessionato
Many

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:46 am quote
It isn't hard at all to put a 12 volt (cig lighter) accessory outlet in your glove box. You can do it with only removing 1 screw if you only want a low current one. The low current one wouldn't run a spot light but it would work great for charging a cell phone or Ipod.

Behind the left door/speaker cover above the glove box, you have 2 plugs: the larger one is for the alarm and the second is for an intercom. The intercom plug is where you rob your 12 volts from. Sorry but no one I have spoken with knows anything about the intercom, the service manual is where I leared what it was for.

You then drill a propper size hole though the top side of your glove box with a step drill and mount the 12 vold accessory outlet (from Radio Shack) andd conect the wires. A 90 deg drill is helpful. This is hot/powered only while the key is on.
Molto Verboso
GT200

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:08 am quote
addicted wrote:
Nice work Jess.
You mean nice work Curt!

I've ridden with Curt quite a bit, and his set up is amazing. I really like his audible turn signal reminder. It's something that I'd do to my GT if I knew how.

Curt, did you get my PM?
Ossessionato
Many

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:14 am quote
The audible turn signals are easy too. Again only requiring 1 screw to be removed. You have to tap into the wires going to the alarm plug. By the way, I installed the alarm too and it works great. I have the parts you need Jed.
Molto Verboso
GT200

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:22 am quote
cfargo wrote:
I have the parts you need Jed.
Let me know when would be good for you. I'm in no hurry, but I understand you don't want to keep a hold of those parts forever.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 am quote
Curt - You've done such an amazing job with your camera setup, I've split this into it's own thread. Nice work.
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:52 am quote
Mesmer wrote:
I've ridden with Curt quite a bit, and his set up is amazing. I really like his audible turn signal reminder. It's something that I'd do to my GT if I knew how.
I've wired an audible turn signal reminder on my current motorcycle, using a Radio Shack piezoelectric buzzer and 4 diodes. It buzzes in cadence with the turn signal lamps. It attracts attention from pedestrians too, as it sounds like a truck's back-up warning.
Molto Verboso
GT200

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:53 am quote
addicted wrote:
It attracts attention from pedestrians too, as it sounds like a truck's back-up warning.
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 am quote
cfargo wrote:
The audible turn signals are easy too. Again only requiring 1 screw to be removed. You have to tap into the wires going to the alarm plug.
I'd be curious to hear more about your audible turn signals... I've been looking for a solution that clicks instead of beeping via piezo.
Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:00 am quote
I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Demille.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:32 am quote
Curt - have you had your bike in at SF Scooter Centre within the past 3 or so months? I think I saw it there and saw the changes you made in person: very professional looking job! Slick and clean, pictures do not do it justice.
Addicted
gt200
Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:35 am quote
cfargo wrote:
Behind the left door/speaker cover…
Really great stuff. Speaker…meaning music also? That's cool! How does it sound while riding, loud enough to hear with gear on?

Also, have you thought about getting or printing up some custom vinyls for the switch labeling? Might last longer and create a cleaner line (not that yours is bad).

X
Molto Verboso
GT200

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:38 am quote
xman wrote:
Also, have you thought about getting or printing up some custom vinyls for the switch labeling? Might last longer and create a cleaner line (not that yours is bad).

X
Curt's got a vinyl cutter and makes some great designs (like the argyle on the front of NapaCoach's bike). I don't know that the vinyl would stick very well on the speaker covers, because they are an uneven surface.
Addicted
gt200
Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:02 pm quote
Mesmer wrote:
Curt's got a vinyl cutter and makes some great designs (like the argyle on the front of NapaCoach's bike). I don't know that the vinyl would stick very well on the speaker covers, because they are an uneven surface.
Ahh, I see. Still cool though. Wish I could ride out west with you guys sometime…so I could see some of these things up close…hehe.

X
Ossessionato
Many

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:04 pm quote
Thanks for all the good words. I have patents on nothing and am more then happy to share. Please feel free to copy any of my mods, (if you start selling them I get 10% of gross). Copying is the highest form of flattery. While were on the subject of copying, I copied M@ idea with LED’s and really added to it. I’m also in the process of copying JESS’s rear wig wag brake lights (parts have been ordered).

I was lazy and used 2 separate audible turn signal reminder instead of 1 and 4 diodes. VERY easy to do and hide behind the speaker panel. You don’t have to use a piezo, you can use anything that makes noise and runs on 12 volts to accomplish this. It will go on and off in sync with the turn signal lights.

Yes the speaker system does have an external input for an Ipod, police scanner or what ever else you want to use. I originally installed it to be the audio part of my GPS. With my full face Aria RX-7 helmet and stock exhaust, the speaker system is audible up to 45mph. The parts to do this run around $75. If there is someone local that wants this mod done to their scooter, I will do it for a 6 pack of Diet Coke and document all the steps to be posted here. This does take about 2 hours as I use plugs so that it can be removed easily. You really can’t do vinyls that small for the switches and with the ruff surface they wouldn’t stick any better and maybe worse. Hey I’m always open to suggestions.
Banned
M@
Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:08 pm quote
great write up Curt

sometimes when riding with Curt i hear a ladys voice telling us where to turn (powered speaker is hooked to his GPS most the time & calls out directions)
Molto Verboso
GT200

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:11 pm quote
I've heard that voice too Matt... I just thought it was you talking to yourself
Banned
M@
Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:13 pm quote
i assure you it was Curts kick ass accessories
Ossessionato
Many

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:24 pm quote
Mesmer, as you know, M@ is big enough to kick both of our asses at once, so please don't get him mad at me. Remember we are not suppose to be talking about his unmentionable tendencies.
Molto Verboso
GT200

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 pm quote
oh, ya... my bad :? I'd just have Sean take care of him for us.

Curt,
When are we gonna ride next. Is work slowing down any?
Ossessionato
Many

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:23 pm quote
Here is a 20 minute video I did of a ride across the Napa hills. It is 400MB http://www.vespagt.com/ScooterRide.mpg

Here is the Current TV program on SF Rage 19 http://www.vespagt.com/currentv.mov This is about 5 minutes long and 12MB. The stuff shot from my system is used at the opening and throughout. I had NOTHING to do with this program other then that they used my first ever scooter cam video. I used a wide angle lens that I don't use anymore do to vinyetting. You can also see my fat ass :? when they interviewed me with my scooter.
Molto Verboso
GT200

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:52 pm quote
Nice Video CFargo!

Who's that idiot at 8:33 into the video? Oh yeah... that was me taking a picture of you, videoing me.

Here's a link to the pic

http://socoscoot.com/images/July10EatnRideTheRedwoodRun/images/IMG_1348.jpg
Hooked
'06 GTS, '06 GT, '79 P200, '80 Sport 100
Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:13 pm quote
Nice job
Wow, that's so much nicer and fancier than my crude setup that I tried out at Amerivespa. I used RAM mounts attached to an aluminum rod cut to length between the mirror stems of my GT, and attached the videocamera to one of them. Simple but effective. I love the sound of all those 2 strokes on the big ride - this reminds me that the video is still sitting on digital tape and needs to be downloaded... going on almost 6 months now..

Karen
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:05 pm quote
cfargo wrote:
Here is a 20 minute video I did of a ride across the Napa hills. It is 400MB http://www.vespagt.com/ScooterRide.mpg
Whew ... Just finished an amazing 20 min. virtual scooter ride complete with nice twisties!! Thanks Curt! I will have to hold on to that once the snow hits here and I need a scooter ride fix. Your set up is amazing. I can't believe how smooth it all was.
Addicted
2005 GT200
Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:16 pm quote
cfargo wrote:
Great video! I feel like I was there.

Post more as you get 'em.

Kevin
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:55 am quote
That was a great ride. I found myself leaning in my chair.

Our computer desk is in the corner of our dining room, and Deb was riding "bitch" behind me watching the video. I caught her leaning a couple times, too. She also said that she was feeling car sick. Wouldn't that be the end-all! Getting yacked on by your back-seater on a virtual scooter ride!

Who was right in front of you with the pony tail? Anyone here? They never turned around or moved at all!
Ossessionato
Many

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:33 am quote
That is my wife Carol; she only had her permit then. She learned to ride there on Trinity Rd. If you have driven this road before you know that the video makes it look a lot tamer then it really is.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:51 pm quote
Posted as a technical article here. Thanks again, Curt, for a great write-up.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2412s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0630s) ][ Debug on ]