caked on grease and dirt
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 pm quote
this may be a dumb question. is it a good idea to remove caked on grease and dirt from an older scoot's engine, forks etc?

all i know is when i had my 66volvo p1800's engine steam cleaned (i was very young so cut me some slack) it opened a whole box of worms.
Hooked
GTS250, Rally 200, 125 t.s.
Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 pm quote
Should be OK. Some degreaser and a little gentle scrubbing perhaps? A good time to check your cables and what-not. I don't think there's much chance of doing damage, as long as you keep water away from the electricals.
Molto Verboso
2007 GT200 1979 P200E 1980 P200E 2011 Triumph America
Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:21 pm quote
Keep the water away from the Air filter and carb. A lot of the rubber grommets are missing off the back of the airbox where the mixing screw is. Personally I just use a plastic scraper for the thick stuff, then some shop paper towels with some simple green once in a while after that.
Molto Verboso
1974 Rally USA 200 1980 P200e
Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:14 am quote
Its time to get up close and personnel with your Vespa... Put down a big piece of cardboard get some rags a small plastic brush and, a big spray can of Engine De- Gunk found at any auto store.
Take your time and let it soak in. Try not to get any on the rubber bits. If you do rise them off right away with warm water .In fact after your done with the whole DE-Gunk, wash all the surfaces you cleaned with warm water.
This is also a great time to check that all your screws are tight, or need to be replaced. All the rubber plugs are found at Scooter works for just about nothing . They are there for a reason...

I spent a lot of time this winter doing all I could and I'm just about done ..........Take Your Time And Enjoy...
Ossessionato
Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:15 am quote
thanks guys.
all that gunk was really buggin me.
perfect project for those rainy windy days.
Molto Verboso
Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:46 am quote
The best degreaser I've found is called Ecotech2 by Finishline products. I get it at the bicycle shop. It is a soy based degreaser, which is biodegradable and nice to the castings. If you got caked up gunk, scrape as much off as possible with a plastic scrapper. It helps to block the scooter up and remove the rear wheel so you can get at the back side of the engine. I use a tooth brush to scrub the degreaser into the remaining deposits and loosen them. If you use the traditional brass spray nozzle on your garden hose, you can open it up just enough to get a light fan spray and rinse the degreaser without penetrating things like the airbox and clutch cover vent , flywheel,ect..
You may need to repeat once dry to get it really clean. Then use the degreaser annually, or as needed so the cake doesn't have a chance to build up.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/degreaser.htm
Oh, and you want the pour bottle. The spray, while convienient, goes too fast. This stuff is like $10-12 a bottle, but worth it in my opinion.
nothing at all
Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:58 am quote
i dont have much more to add.

it is nice to take pics of before and after.

i find it to be insperational.

caution: when spraying and de greasing becarefull not to get any residue in the area between the rear hub and rearhub plate. you will get grease residue in your drum and you will have to remove wheel and clean drum and pads.(which is not a bad thing,just another project)
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.6755s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0973s) ][ Debug on ]