Auh, C'mon
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Molto Verboso
1967 Gran Turismo 1963 Lambretta S3 TV175
Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:57 am quote
Auh, man, I know I'm a new loser, but there has to be SOMEBODY out there who has some advice for me. I'm 34 years old, married, two kids, and work full time. I had to agree with my wife to buy a $300,000 house to get the go-ahead to live my life-long dream of owning a Vespa. I don't do myspace. I don't do facebook. I don't think I've posted anything on a message board in about ten years. C'mon, please?

I just picked up a very nice 1980 P200e. About 7,000 miles on it, rebuilt engine, everything looks and works great...except one little thing. It bogs down and frequently stalls out when starting out from a dead stop. The spark plug looks ok, but I guess I don't know what a bad one looks like anyway. Could it have something to do with me riding it between 20 and 30 degrees here in Frigid Minnesota? Any suggestions?
Hooked
A Rally and P

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:07 am quote
It sounds like you're having carb issues. Get a carb rebuild kit and clean everything, replacing all the seals and your float. Then, clean and check to make sure that your jets are the proper size. Perhaps you need to upjet the main.
nothing at all
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:44 am quote
your just like me,only 10 years younger.

i'm a post loser too,i still can'tdo the quote in a box thing.

and yes,no face book - no my space.

but what we do have a few awsome bikes.

can you post a pic.

now about your problems,latin has told you to do the carb rebuild thing,which is good but makes me wonder why the engine rebuild did'nt include some type of carb tinkering as well.

what else do you know about the bike.

how long has it been sitting

who did the motor work

is the gas fresh

if your new to two strokes than go slow on the rebuild of carb

if you remove the carb,remember that it is aluminum and easily damaged.(turn off gas first)

remember not to over tighten anything,dont run out and buy a bunch of torky tools,just a couple simple screw drivers and a socket set(standard and metric)will do.

some thin wire to clean any grub in jets and chamber.

go slow-keep organized-when wife is gone or asleep-do it on the kitchen table.

talk to you later-remember pics
Hooked
1960 Series 2 Lambretta, 1962ish API series 2 Lambretta, 1974 Vespa Super 150, 1978 Rally 200
Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:32 am quote
WAIT...

Almost certainly you're riding in conditions WAY colder than what your bike was jetted for. As a result you are running lean. Next time your bike does this pull the choke out a bit -- I'll bet the bike returns to a normal idle.

If the choke trick works you need to upjet for the winter. (I do) No big deal on your P200.

Hey riding in the winter can be fun -- I'll be on the bike and on my way to work in about 15 minutes.

Cheers from WI
Tom
Molto Verboso
Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 am quote
Great, thanks. I bought the bike from Scooterville, a very reputable shop here in Minneapolis who did the rebuild about a 1000 miles ago. The bike has had a single owner from new, and has obviously been well taken care of. That's about all I know though. I put some new gas in it and have only ridden it a few times because of the weather. I figured I'd just sit on it in the garage with a cup of coffee in hand until spring, but you know how that goes. I should probably get the frostbite on my face checked out too. I asked one of the custodians in my school (I'm a teacher) who is an engine wiz what he thinks. He said start with replacing the plug and using some Seafoam. I haven't done either yet. I like the idea of learning to rebuild the carb myself, but that means I need to buy another scooter to ride while I'm messing with this one.

IMG_3929.jpg

Hooked
'07 GTS250IE
Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:56 am quote
Just a couple of thoughts...

Have you checked the idle speed...maybe adjusting that a little
higher will help.

Are you blipping the throttle at a stop I find that helps keep
the plug from fouling.

Last edited by Black Angel on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
1960 Series 2 Lambretta, 1962ish API series 2 Lambretta, 1974 Vespa Super 150, 1978 Rally 200
Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:56 am quote
If Scooterville sold you the bike then almost certainly there is nothing wrong with it. -- DO NOT mess with any of the carb settings until you've ruled out a basic lean condition (by pullng out the choke).

Try the choke like I said -- I'll bet money it fixes the problem (for now -- you still need to upjet). The little carbs on these things are very sensitive -- MUCH more so than say somethig you'd find on an old American car.

I'd also bet that if you start that bike up when it's above 50 degrees outside it runs like a champ.

Tom in WI
Molto Verboso
Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:10 am quote
Yeah, the mechanics at SV checked it over before I picked it up so I can't imagine it's anything major. I think it does idle a bit low though. I'll try the choke thing today. Thanks for all the help.
Ossessionato
Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:23 am quote
sweet scoot. congrats
Molto Verboso
many
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:45 am quote
Quote:
I bought the bike from Scooterville, a very reputable shop here in Minneapolis
Before you start f-ing around with
anything on that scooter, call Scooterville first, and ask
them what they think. I'm sure
that if you just bought it from them,
(and they looked it over) they should
back up their work(and what they sold you).
I assume you bought it as a running scooter.
You will have plenty
of time to learn to work on it.
Messing around with it now as a
newbie, will be your first mistake.

Rob
Addicted
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore
Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:27 pm quote
I'm a teacher with two kids, too, and live in a cold clime. Be prepared to spend some time working on your scoot (as various things like snapped cables need replacing, or more serious things arise like clutch plates etc.), plus the accompanying spousal tension that may arise, new house or no new house.

Remind your wife that you're not driving a new car with a warranty and computerised diagnostics, but a finnicky vintage scooter that needs the odd fiddling to keep running right (and more often than not it's testing one setting versus another and seeing what works best). The good news is that you have summers off, the bad news (at least if your job is anything like mine) is that you have very little time between September and June.

Definitely your scoot may be running lean because of the cold temp -- you get much more of a charge of air in cold temps, and you have to have the gas to match for the right mixture in the engine. Running lean in a Vespa can be a big problem: Its two stroke engine gets lubrication from the oil-gas mix, and if there's not enough (a too lean condition) it can lead to an engine seizure. (I've had one minor soft seize after running out of fuel at speed. Not pretty: the rear wheel locked up until I grabbed the clutch to let it free wheel and it can cause piston damage, obviously.)

Before you mess about with the carb at all -- especially if the engine was recently rebuilt, speak to the folks that worked on it. There's a screw on the carb that lets you adjust the fuel-air mix. I adjust this when I'm riding in colder months versus the heat of full-on summer (the coldest I've ridder is a few degrees above freezing). If changing the mixture screw is not helpful, then you may find you need to upjet -- essentially getting a $15 part that just screws into your carb and atomizes the gas into vapour. "Upjetting" just means getting a jet with differently sized holes that will let more gas get through to achieve the right mixture.

Again, if it was serviced locally, they should have the right jet(s) for your altitude and climate. Speak to them before you change anything.
Molto Verboso
Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm quote
Great, thanks for the advice. I pulled the choke out just a hair, and that made a world of difference when I rode it today. Didn't stall or even hint at bogging down. I tried pulling it out all the way earlier in the week, and that didn't work much. Keep in mind the most experience I've had with a two stroke is my weed wacker, and I can't get that thing started half the time. I imagine half the fun of owning an older scooter is learning to work on it. But of course it's great to have some dudes who actually know what they are doing just a few miles down the road. As for my wife, she's already eyeing the buddy 125 which I think would be a good fit for her.
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:55 pm quote
cool machine!

hang in there, you will have fun.
250 GTS
Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:33 pm quote
Hi,could be just a cold engine.Next time you use it,let it warm up on tickover for 10 or 15 minutes and see how it goes then.If not,then before messing with the carb check your fuel flow.Put a pan under the engine,disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb and turn on the tap.The fuel should pour out,theres a good flow on vespas.If it dosn't pour,suspect a blockage in the pipe,tap or tank.Once moving vespas can run on almost nil fuel,until they go bang.Anyway,whatever the problem,I hope it's simple and you cure it soon.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2850s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0882s) ][ Debug on ]