How many times have you dropped your Vespa?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 pm quote
Ratboy wrote:
My MP3's been dropped 3 or 4 times so far.
How the hell do you drop a three-wheeler?

Yes, I know the front wheels move. It just struck me funny.
Molto Verboso
Fly 150, 2006 black
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 pm quote
Never dropped or crashed, but it did get blown over while parked in crazy winds when I had a tall screen a couple of years ago.
Hooked
2009 Siena Ivory GTV 250ie "Sasha"
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:55 pm quote
I have never dropped mine, but the day I brought my GTV home I decided(stupidly) that it was a good idea to let me girlfriend at the time take a few lessons on it. Well she was doing good, until it came to a point where she needed to turn. I don't know what happened but I think she freaked and hit the breaks but didn't put her feet down... and down she went. I just stood there for like a minute not knowing to go help her or "sasha". I was very conflicted and that scared me a bit. ha.

luckily I was able to replace the cowl and everything was okey dokey. No more lessons for her though. haha.
Enthusiast
LX 125
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:03 pm quote
Once!! Lost the back end on ice, no warning. Both me and the Vespa went for a little slide up the road, both bumped and scratched, but OK now. Strangely glad to have got the first, and hopefully last, prang out of the way!
Addicted
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 pm quote
mongoose wrote:
Ratboy wrote:
My MP3's been dropped 3 or 4 times so far.
How the hell do you drop a three-wheeler?

Yes, I know the front wheels move. It just struck me funny.

You'd be surprised how easy it is. That's why I ask that people be experienced riders. Just because it doesn't require a class M to ride it still requires the skill set that comes with riding for awhile.

So far the two that have dropped it (once on either side and I suspect a 3rd did too, hence the 3 or 4 times) have been riding for years. I explained to them that if they drop it it will likely be while making a slow turn, like parking or doing a U-Turn.
Addicted
P200e
Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm quote
I had just finished painting the P200, while closing the garage the door hit the scooter and down she went. Got scratched up pretty good.
GTS250 Dragon Red

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:02 pm quote
Only have 1100 miles, but I figured it would happen early. Not yet!
Ossessionato
'07 GTS-250ie "Silver"
Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 pm quote
I've never laid it down; but the closest I've come is making a U-turn on an up-slope. Damn lucky my boot didn't slip on the pavement. Looking back, it seems really stupid of me to have even thought of doing it.

BTW, Groundhog Day post: Tell us about the first time...
LX150ie
Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:32 pm quote
once, was riding out of an industrial estate i work at and someone took a cover off a drain in the driveway and i just plain didnt see it. was funny at the time but was expensive to fix.

and i had a flatmate drive into an old scoot i'd parked in the driveway once as well...
Addicted
2006 Vespa LX150
Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:36 pm quote
bryanhayn wrote:
I haven't dropped my S150 yet. I'm being super careful. Though going over the Pali last night in the rain with just a t-shirt and shorts was pretty careless..damn was it fun.
Off topic, but how does a 150 do on the Pali? I grew up in Aiea and sometimes wonder about returning.
Addicted
'10 GTV 250 i.e
Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:03 pm quote
Once, I hit a car on the freeway. Due to the massive adrenalin rush picked the GT up like it was a feather.

A young "lady" reversed into it once and knocked it over, took two blokes without adrenalin to pick it up.
GTS
Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:15 pm quote
Re: How many times have you dropped your Vespa?
President Robert Cooper wrote:
I'm just curious, since I've been thinking about waiting and saving more to get a Vespa S150...again

But, how many times have you dropped your Vespa?
Once, in my driveway. I pulled in to my driveway after a ride and stopped with the front wheel turned hard to one side and the bike leaned over slightly. The bike just rolled out from under me and there I was, on the ground wondering what happened. I figured it out pretty quick and learned to mind the front wheel at all times.
Addicted
White S150 '09
Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:37 pm quote
BoomieMCT wrote:
bryanhayn wrote:
I haven't dropped my S150 yet. I'm being super careful. Though going over the Pali last night in the rain with just a t-shirt and shorts was pretty careless..damn was it fun.
Off topic, but how does a 150 do on the Pali? I grew up in Aiea and sometimes wonder about returning.
It did great! I'm 180 lbs, and I kept a steady 50mph indicated all the way up...but of course I had to keep it wide open throttle. On the way down I was able to hit 70mph.
Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 pm quote
Ratboy wrote:
I haven't dropped any of mine... yet. I know it will happen eventually. *shrug*

Now my customers are a different story. So far only one of my Vespas hasn't been dropped/crashed. My MP3's been dropped 3 or 4 times so far. Never moving though so just minor scratches on the fenders, exhaust cover, center stand, mirror ends and brake levers... *sigh*

At least that's all easy to replace.

I've had a few motorcycles fall over in the past though... once my center stand snapped after I'd walked away and I have laid my bike down once. Also have had my bikes knocked over by people parking...
How the hell do you drop an MP3? <scratching>

I thought non-dropability was the chief benefit...
Hooked
GTS 300 Super
Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:22 pm quote
No drops yet. Hoping to keep it that way......
Hooked
Vespa GTS300 Super,Sym 200 HD
Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 am quote
How do you drop a three wheeler?
A three wheeler is not idiot proof. I know, as I have dropped mine a couple of times.
Always happens while sitting still and distracted by small shiny objects or such.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vintage Red GTS / 2 GT60's / 05 ET2 / 01 ET4 X2 / 09 GTS / 78 P200 / 2003 Honda Ruckus /946 #00017 946 #00003 / 67 Sprint / 76 CB200 / 09 Ruckus
Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 am quote
Michael Moore wrote:
Ratboy wrote:
I haven't dropped any of mine... yet. I know it will happen eventually. *shrug*

Now my customers are a different story. So far only one of my Vespas hasn't been dropped/crashed. My MP3's been dropped 3 or 4 times so far. Never moving though so just minor scratches on the fenders, exhaust cover, center stand, mirror ends and brake levers... *sigh*

At least that's all easy to replace.

I've had a few motorcycles fall over in the past though... once my center stand snapped after I'd walked away and I have laid my bike down once. Also have had my bikes knocked over by people parking...
How the hell do you drop an MP3? <scratching>

I thought non-dropability was the chief benefit...
Actually Michael history tells me this is the exact opposite. Remember the wheels are not stable all of the time and the scoot is a little heavy. Navigation of slow stuff with the feet not firmly planted on the ground will get this scoot dropped more often than not.

Good news is as long as you don't take the steering shaft out its usually just a couple of pre-painted plastic parts. MP3's get dropped, Vespa's get crashed, that's what our shop see's.

Best,
SDG
Addicted
2004 Vintage Green GT200
Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 am quote
once.kinda.

was sitting on it backpedaling out of the garage. someone parked behind my garage(ok, it was me) and i saw it, braked hard at the last second and it fell sideways in slow motion. i didn't have the strength to hold it up. very minor damage. scraped the mirror a bit. the cowl protectors saved my baby.

oh and i almost dropped it once while taking a corner after i had my whitewalls put on and the mechanic filled the tires to 50 psi. it was like riding on glass. but i managed to keep her up.
Ossessionato
GTS250

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 am quote
Re: Once.
SDG wrote:
rgconner wrote:
Just signed the papers, tried to take it off the center stand for the first time and over balanced...

down she went. Well, at least I got it over with.
We always suggest to our new buyers that they are ON the scooter when they rock it off the c/s, then this wouldn't of happened. Just something to ponder.

Best,
SDG
Yeah, that would have been handy to know.

Fortunately, I only scratched the plastic "underfaring" not the metal cowling
2016 GTS 300 Super
Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:42 am quote
I dropped an old, light-weight sub-50 cc scooter (not Vespa) a couple times when I was learning many years ago. One drop was on a turn, the other on a brake and lock-up. And once... I knocked it over.

Never dropped my Vespa. If you didn't have something beat up to learn on, I'd suggest a Basic Rider's course where they provide a bike that's seen its fair share of drops.

All the new ones come with ABS, but it's good to know how to brake without ABS since it's possible the ABS could fail and you might have to know how to ACTUALLY brake if you're going to ride to the dealership for service.

Twist & Go makes dropping on a turn a bit less likely since you don't have to shift. Just make sure you know not to brake and turn.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:50 am quote
Old thread. Cool. Never dropped the LX but i parked it a bank in Haleiwa. What i didn't notice (wasn't my bank,doing a deposit for a friend) the gentle sloping downward sloping on the right side. Came out put my right foot over and down i went. BTW it was on the center stand. The bike landed on me and it was right in front of the security camera. I got the guy who came out behind me to get the bike off of me. Cost me about $500 for that stupid stunt. Knocks on wood but i've been good for 9 more years. I only had the bike for a few months when it happened.
Hooked
piaggio fly50 4t 2v , honda ruckus x 2
Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:42 am quote
not a vespa, but when I first got my Honda I fell over at a red light. it was quite embarrassing. it was raining hard and I was wearing a full helmet with the visor down, so my visability was shit. (discovered that wearing a ballcap tight over the eyes with some basic safety glasses does a better job of letting you see in the rain) as I approached the light which was on a slight incline, I attempted to coast to a stop. I actually managed that part of it. however, I came to that stop sooner than anticipated and didn't put my foot down yet. needless, to say the side of my helmet caught me.

had a six pack off longnecks which I had just bought sitting on the floorboard. they went a rolling everywhere. I can only imagine what the people in the car behind me must have been thinking as I scurried to pick the bike and the beers up from the intersection.

Last edited by jeff84 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
LX150, GTS250
Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:59 am quote
I've had my motorcycle license 37 years. Took my first (hopefully only) fall last month.
Was driving my 2007 GTS250ie around 10 mph, or less, on a dirt road when suddenly the packed dirt turned to sand and while trying to get back to some packed dirt, the rear tire spun out and down we went.
Happily only I got bruised and a knee rash...bike just had a superficial mar. Whew!
Molto Verboso
2010 Aprilia Mana GT, 2010 Aprilia Sport City 300 (sold), 2010 GTS 300 Super (sold), & 2007 LX150 (sold)
Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 am quote
Never dropped or crashed the LX, GTS or the Sport City.

However the Mana once. Forgot to engage the parking brake while loading the top box… As I closed the top box to my surprise the Mana started to roll and down she went on the left side. Kicker - I only owned the bike all of 24 hours. Never did that again.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:13 am quote
Just once.
LX 50 2t
Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:38 am quote
Never, but the f*cking wind did it for me at the weekend
Storm Katie knocked it over, near broke my heart when I saw it.

IMG_4555.JPG

Molto Verboso
GTS Vintage Red
Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:05 pm quote
Once - I came to a stop sign on a hill. It wasn't a drop rather it was a slow lay down. It was during my first month as a rider...
Addicted
Suzuki VanVan200, 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm quote
Never yet the Vespa, but one close call:

I was on a sandy beach and did what you'll do (or don't...) when there is a tight sandy spot where you'll have to turn around a stationary two wheeler with the engine running: put my foot down, leaned towards it heavily, turned the handle bars and gave a good turn on the throttle.

It started with a nice, tight turn-in and an impressive spray of sand, as it should. But then the back wheel found a solid, large rock under sand, got sudden enormous grip, and off we went....but because of un-deserved luck, I was able to hang-on and stop the pendulum effect without a scratch.

And yes, I'm too old for using Vespa like a dirt bike, but...it's just so surprisingly agile little thing it's hard to resist.
Enthusiast
GTS300 2013
Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:38 pm quote
Once and that's when the rear crash bar paid for itself . Whew!!
Addicted
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:35 pm quote
I have never dropped a scooter
I noticed from the prior posts that a bunch of folks have
dropped their machines while stopped or doing during
slow movements on bad surfaces. This may be an
experience thing. Sand or gravel seems to be the problem.

Awareness of the surface is crucial.

Bob Copeland
Enthusiast
GTS300 2013
Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:43 pm quote
Re: I have never dropped a scooter
Bob Copeland wrote:
I noticed from the prior posts that a bunch of folks have
dropped their machines while stopped or doing during
slow movements on bad surfaces. This may be an
experience thing. Sand or gravel seems to be the problem.

Awareness of the surface is crucial.

Bob Copeland
So true! Sand or gravel even almost at a stop can be like riding on ball bearings. Surface awareness and apprproiate breaking techniques are essential.
Hooked
2015 GTS 300 Super ABS and 2015 Sprint 150 ABS
Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:53 pm quote
Not yet, but I expect it to happen.

We now live in a farmhouse, on a farm, with dirt, mud, some grass, orchards, and some gravel--but no pavement. We park our Vespas against a large shed next to the farmhouse, under a large overhand, on gravel.

The Vespas' center stands are pretty wobbly on anything other than flat pavement. I park both of our Vespas (even my wife's), so I make sure that I park them as securely as possible, and re-park them if necessary, so their right handlebars are very close to the shed wall (in case they fall that way) and their fairly stable left side side stand arms are pointing away from the shed.

Still, they are parked on gravel, and I fully expect them to fall over at some point.

My Norge, on the other hand... 600 pounds... Side stand not fully deployed one day on a sloping driveway. It took my wife to help me resurrect it. Fortunately, that Norge has been replaced by a perfect, new one (not due to the fall but to a speeding school teacher who failed to stop for a stopped school bus, and Moto Guzzi Norge...).
Primavera 50 4TK 4V
Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:09 pm quote
What a coincidence this thread is active again... Cos it happened to me the other day

We'd gone to the pool with my boyfriend on the back of my primavera. It was very windy but even though the high windshield caught lots of it we rode very solid. I'd parked it on its extra wide centre stand, making sure it was stable and in a sheltered spot (I've been reading lots here so I was aware what gusty winds can do to our treasured bikes). When we came back after a nice poodle it was on a different apot on its side stand... ?!

A knot instantly formed in my gut... The thing I'd been so cautious about... Not the paint!?!

Cos I'm so proud of its crispy and neat appearance... I'm super glad I took the advise here and added crash bars at the back straight away. One side of them is pretty messed up now and a brake lever broke off together with some scratching on the front fender... But nothing on the actual body... Pffff

I'd like to think it was just the wind, although my bf thinks it was some kids bs with it. But of course there was no note. Still glad someone took the effort of putting it upright while we were still inside the pool. Seeing a bike down is never a pleasant site :/
Enthusiast
2006 Vespa GT200
Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:58 pm quote
never

my friend took care of that for me.
I had an et2 last spring/summer and he wanted to ride it badly so I let him hop on and started it up.
I'm paraphrasing at but the conversation before he crashed went something like:

"so you know how to ride?"
"yes"
"so you've ridden before"
"yes"
"are you nervous"
"no"
"ok"

he gave it has and he literally went
straight into the curb. kind of like that episode of it's always sunny when Charlie crashes Dee's car into that pole when they think zombies are after them at that wedding.

damn that sucked. I loved that scoot.
I walked over and I was so glad he was okay but that hurt my wallet bad
Addicted
Suzuki VanVan200, 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:43 pm quote
JeffOlson wrote:
Not yet, but I expect it to happen.

We now live in a farmhouse, on a farm, with dirt, mud, some grass, orchards, and some gravel--but no pavement. We park our Vespas against a large shed next to the farmhouse, under a large overhand, on gravel.

The Vespas' center stands are pretty wobbly on anything other than flat pavement. I park both of our Vespas (even my wife's), so I make sure that I park them as securely as possible, and re-park them if necessary, so their right handlebars are very close to the shed wall (in case they fall that way) and their fairly stable left side side stand arms are pointing away from the shed.

Still, they are parked on gravel, and I fully expect them to fall over at some point.

My Norge, on the other hand... 600 pounds... Side stand not fully deployed one day on a sloping driveway. It took my wife to help me resurrect it. Fortunately, that Norge has been replaced by a perfect, new one (not due to the fall but to a speeding school teacher who failed to stop for a stopped school bus, and Moto Guzzi Norge...).
Jeff, I have quite similar situation with the parking - I'd feel safer for your bikes if you used a few tiles or something else solid under the stands. It's easy and quick to just dig out some dirt, put the solid parts in, check they are straight enough and then just always park the bikes so that the stands always rest on top of the solid objects. I actually have two such places, one for quick stops near the entrance to the house and one behind the shed for storage.
Molto Verboso
LML star
Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:18 pm quote
owned three vespas two got damaged none of them my fault

first one was killed by a car braking on ice

second one got knocked over by some idiot opening a gate and just letting it go and I got a bollocking for shouting at him
Hooked
2015 GTS Super 300ie 'Bruno'
Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 pm quote
JeffOlson wrote:
...We park our Vespas against a large shed next to the farmhouse, under a large overhand, on gravel. ... Still, they are parked on gravel, and I fully expect them to fall over at some point.
RRider wrote:
... It's easy and quick to just dig out some dirt, put the solid parts in, check they are straight enough and then just always park the bikes so that the stands always rest on top of the solid objects.
++ Really Jeff, do this. It is only a matter of time before the gravel shifts under your stand and you have a problem which could have been avoided. ++
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250
Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:12 am quote
My GT 200 lasted a few years before I had a prang. A car in the outer lane was waiting to turn and I was in the inner lane and ready to overtake the moment we were past. The passenger door suddenly opened on the turning car and hit the bike hard in the cowl which threw me and the bike up onto the pavement and into a shop doorway. For a moment I wasn't sure what had happened. The next one I was overtaking a series of reasonably slow moving cars, one pulled in to the kerb to make it easier for me to pass so I raised my hand to say thanks, the next car in line did the same so I just kept my hand off the bars to say thanks again but the car obviously hadn't seen me at all and caught me out by doing a U-turn right in front of me. It's impossible doing an emergency stop with one hand on the bars and down I went.

The GTS has been for two slides down the road but luckily both on the same side. I also had a pedestrian hit her after she was hit by a car travelling in the opposite direction and flung through the air. I naturally assumed she was toast but instead she jumps up (very obviously drunk), retrieves all her beer cans that were now rolling around in the stopped traffic. The cans left a small dent in the front of my scoot. I also fell off trying to hit the remote control on my garage door while going up a muddy path - I didn't want to get my shoes muddy and instead ended up face first in the mud. I could see the funny side and was actually laughing as I hit the floor - no damage.

My bikes are working bikes, I pretty much always ride in heavy traffic, rain or shine. I'll admit I don't ride if snow has settled on the road. I also tend to ride quite aggressively. The metal skin was one of the things that attracted me to the Vespa - neither of my scooters has had any accident repairs and I just pick them up and continue riding. The scratches and dents just make them look used. If I was going to have them resprayed and restored to new after an accident then it would make more sense (and be cheaper) to get a plastic scooter and just replace the panels.
Addicted
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:16 am quote
Prevent a Fall Over
Bugvomit

Even though I have ridden motorcycles and scooters for
40 years, I am reluctant to either ride someone's machine
or let them ride mine. Each bike has different handling
characteristics - it is just to easy to drop one you are not
familiar with - usually during slower maneuvers. This is
especially true for some one who has not been actively riding
recently.

My Dad always said "Don't let anyone drive your car" - "the
bum walks away from the crash with no responsibility -
tell him to get his own damn car". Yes, harsh words from the
past. Those words were aimed more at me when I was young
so I would not let a friend drive my car. Today, I would let
a friend borrow my car - but not my scooter.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250
Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:12 am quote
Sophie wrote:
my bf thinks it was some kids bs with it
I doubt it was kids cause they'd never stick around to put it back upright. It's more likely to be the wind and then someone saw your bike over and put it back upright for you - it's difficult to get onto the centre stand if there's a lock in the front wheel so they'd of used the side stand. I've done it myself to peoples motorbikes when I've seen them over though I'm never quite sure whether the owner will arrive at that precise point and try and accuse me of knocking it over in the first place.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.1724s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0611s) ][ Debug on ]