How many times have you dropped your Vespa?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
Addicted
'15 GTS 300 SS
Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:43 am quote
Me? never. Mother Nature and jackass drunks? 3 times on 2 different bikes to date. Still fuming over the last 'wind' incident.
Hooked
piaggio fly50 4t 2v , honda ruckus x 2
Sat May 21, 2016 10:16 pm quote
JeffOlson wrote:
Not yet, but I expect it to happen.

We now live in a farmhouse, on a farm, with dirt, mud, some grass, orchards, and some gravel--but no pavement. We park our Vespas against a large shed next to the farmhouse, under a large overhand, on gravel.

The Vespas' center stands are pretty wobbly on anything other than flat pavement. I park both of our Vespas (even my wife's), so I make sure that I park them as securely as possible, and re-park them if necessary, so their right handlebars are very close to the shed wall (in case they fall that way) and their fairly stable left side side stand arms are pointing away from the shed.

Still, they are parked on gravel, and I fully expect them to fall over at some point.

My Norge, on the other hand... 600 pounds... Side stand not fully deployed one day on a sloping driveway. It took my wife to help me resurrect it. Fortunately, that Norge has been replaced by a perfect, new one (not due to the fall but to a speeding school teacher who failed to stop for a stopped school bus, and Moto Guzzi Norge...).
get you a sheet of plywood or a sheet of metal to put onder the scoots or at least the centerstand. I used to park on gravel and when we got a lot of precipitation the centerstand sunk on one side and the bike fell over. now I keep a square of plywood under the stand. I have seen this happen too with a sidestand on hot blacktop. which is why a lot of big bike riders carry around a 4sqin piece of sheet metal
Molto Verboso
2010 Aprilia Mana GT, 2010 Aprilia Sport City 300 (sold), 2010 GTS 300 Super (sold), & 2007 LX150 (sold)
Sun May 22, 2016 3:19 am quote
My Vespa GTS, LX & Aprilia Sport Never.
Aprilia Mana once. Forgot the put in the parking brake and she rolled away and fell on her left side.
Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
Sun May 22, 2016 4:16 am quote
Vespa never. Triumph once, right around the corner from my house. Was riding with the sun low and behind me. Got cut off by a person making a left hand turn in front of me. Locked up the wheels and down I went. Any future bike I may buy will include ABS.
Addicted
GTV300 (wife's)
Sun May 22, 2016 5:09 am quote
Wife has never "dropped" her GTV300 but it does have a few scratches. Those are on the underside! Seems she likes the twisties a little too much at times. Just this last week while out riding with me on the Sportster trying to keep up to the GTV300 I hear some noise and then on intercom she says "Did you hear that?, think I was leaning a little too much!
Hooked
Burgman 400, BV250, CH80, Helix
Sun May 22, 2016 5:59 am quote
Well, not a Vespa but I dropped my Piaggio while straddling it and trying to back down a low ramp from my deck. My foot missed the ramp and down I went. Ground was soft so no damage.
Hooked
2015 GTS 300 Super ABS and 2015 Sprint 150 ABS
Sun May 22, 2016 7:16 am quote
jeff84 wrote:
JeffOlson wrote:
Not yet, but I expect it to happen.

We now live in a farmhouse, on a farm, with dirt, mud, some grass, orchards, and some gravel--but no pavement. We park our Vespas against a large shed next to the farmhouse, under a large overhand, on gravel.

The Vespas' center stands are pretty wobbly on anything other than flat pavement. I park both of our Vespas (even my wife's), so I make sure that I park them as securely as possible, and re-park them if necessary, so their right handlebars are very close to the shed wall (in case they fall that way) and their fairly stable left side side stand arms are pointing away from the shed.

Still, they are parked on gravel, and I fully expect them to fall over at some point.

My Norge, on the other hand... 600 pounds... Side stand not fully deployed one day on a sloping driveway. It took my wife to help me resurrect it. Fortunately, that Norge has been replaced by a perfect, new one (not due to the fall but to a speeding school teacher who failed to stop for a stopped school bus, and Moto Guzzi Norge...).
get you a sheet of plywood or a sheet of metal to put onder the scoots or at least the centerstand. I used to park on gravel and when we got a lot of precipitation the centerstand sunk on one side and the bike fell over. now I keep a square of plywood under the stand. I have seen this happen too with a sidestand on hot blacktop. which is why a lot of big bike riders carry around a 4sqin piece of sheet metal
Good advice!

I now park the scooters on large, flat concrete pavers so the center stands are very secure.
Enthusiast
GT200
Sun May 22, 2016 7:48 am quote
grscum wrote:
12k miles and only the center stand and tires have seen the ground.
12k miles and never dropped it myself either. Somebody did it for me in a parking lot. Remember that Vespas are invisible always.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sun May 22, 2016 8:06 am quote
Another "falling over while i'm on it fall". Should never of jinxed my self with my last post on here. Cost me $300. Cheaper than the other fall.
Hooked
Burgman 400, BV250, CH80, Helix
Sun May 22, 2016 2:05 pm quote
bugvomit wrote:
never

my friend took care of that for me.
I had an et2 last spring/summer and he wanted to ride it badly so I let him hop on and started it up.
I'm paraphrasing at but the conversation before he crashed went something like:

"so you know how to ride?"
"yes"
"so you've ridden before"
"yes"
"are you nervous"
"no"
"ok"

he gave it has and he literally went
straight into the curb. kind of like that episode of it's always sunny when Charlie crashes Dee's car into that pole when they think zombies are after them at that wedding.

damn that sucked. I loved that scoot.
I walked over and I was so glad he was okay but that hurt my wallet bad
I've learned my lesson... I know how it's going to end every time I read. "I let my friend ride my _________". It never ends with "he had such a wonderful experience"
Hooked
GTS-250
Sun May 22, 2016 5:04 pm quote
I bought my GTS in 2009 and have never dropped it.

.... but the Honda I owned in the 1970's wasn't so lucky and bit the dirt several times.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sun May 22, 2016 5:51 pm quote
Four Vespas over nearly 10 years. Have never dropped any one of them. Now, I went down on a couple of Hondas much earlier in my riding history...........
Hooked
300 GTS Super - 2010
Sun May 22, 2016 6:15 pm quote
Zero in five years.
Hooked
GTS 300 Super
Mon May 23, 2016 8:18 am quote
Tinman wrote:
Two Vespas, zero dropped..
Same (two over 10 years).
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 pm quote
I've had my Vespa for almost a month, and I've dropped it twice.

The very first time i tried to ride it, in a Lowe's parking lot, I realized just how tall it was. I'm 5' on a good day, and I tried to lean and plant one foot on the ground. It went down.

The second time I was trying to turn it around on my narrow, inclined driveway and leaned it too far away from myself. I went down on top of it! That thing is heavy!!
Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie
Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:37 am quote
Never dropped my Vespa.

Last drop was my Yamaha RD50 in 1982
Hooked
et 2 50cc
Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:01 am quote
I haven't. I dropped my previous Peugeot scooter ten years ago. That was the first and I hope the last.
Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:59 pm quote
I never did before (since 2006); but I'm getting older and my balance is getting really crappy. It isn't an issue when rolling due to the gyroscopic effect of the wheels; but when going slow, stuff can happen. Anyway I was trying to negotiate my balance on four planes at once and all of a sudden I pitched over to the left.

THANK HEAVENS I HAD CRASH BARS. When I got it upright there wasn't a scratch on the body.
Enthusiast
2006 Vespa GT200
Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:43 pm quote
Never, fortunately enough. Though my first Vespa (Et2 50) got dropped and crashed pretty badly by a buddy who asked to ride.
There's pictures of that damage somewhere on this forum. But a valuable lesson was learned that day.
Ossessionato
Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:47 pm quote
28 scooters and motorcycles in 44 years of riding - never dropped one. Although I would have like dropping a few of them over a cliff and walking away.
Molto Verboso
2007 GT200L Graphite Black
Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:24 pm quote
Vespa-0
Harley - 2
Hubs Kawasaki - 2
lxv
Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:05 pm quote
I put down my GT200 three times, only when I was doing work on it. I'm a strong guy but I decided a 150 was for me. Got a new LXV and never had a problem. That GT was heaven at speed with two on board though. Once I rescued some friends stranded on a trail and brought out two women , one holding a 90 lb black lab, on the scooter and it felt very stable. I still like the 150 better because it doesn't get away from me.
Enthusiast
2016 Vespa GTV 300
Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:19 am quote
I dropped by new-to-me LXV 150 6 days after I got it. Well, sort of dropped it. I was having so much fun and thought it would be a great idea to let my girlfriend try and ride it a few feet. Just 15 feet, in a straight line to me. Showed her where the throttle was, told her to just go slow, and if she got scared to let go of the throttle and it would stop accelerating. Easy. She did it, it moved a few feet, she got scared, stopped suddenly and fell over. I ran over to her afraid, and mad at myself.

I picked her up and sat her down on the curb to make sure she was fine and not too shaken up. Kicking myself, and terrified and what I had done to my new beautiful bike, I ran over to pick it up, not thinking that I should hit the kill switch. While pulling it upright I also pulled on the throttle and my new baby shot forward fast about 20 feet and skidded on its side, hyperextending my knee in the process.

The ironic thing is that my girlfriend's fall, on the left side of the bike, caused absolutely no damage whatsoever. Not a scratch. My mishap though, completely tore up the right side of my bike. I can't afford to get it repainted, but in any case it's a nice reminder to always be mindful.
BV500
Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 am quote
I've always been told there are two kinds of riders: those that have been down and those who are going down. There is no shame in going down. Pick it up and ride on.
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:59 am quote
While riding? Never. While parked? Twice, both times because I have no feeling in my right foot.
First time was loading into a truck bed. Didn't notice an acorn had rolled under my foot, so down I went and knocked over my GTS. Small dent in the left legshield.
Second time was on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was going to sit on the seat to stargaze, but my ankle turned and I fell...on top of the GTS. It broke my fall, but the rough-cut granite curb broke its. Medium-size dent in the rear backside over the exhaust.
Ossessionato
2010 BV TOURER 500ie (gifted)
Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 am quote
Been riding PTWs for @ 65 years and never dropped a bike. Bicycle yes, twice, once while learning to ride and once when I was chasing a girl friend in grade school. Boy was I embarrassed.
Have come close a few times but so far so good.
Hooked
GTS Super Sport
Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:09 am quote
One time while still half asleep I forgot to take the chain off the front wheel. Other than that it's been rubber side down.

Last edited by GVDB on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:47 am quote
Since i wrote about my other fall i figured out why i fell. My front brakes were shot. My friends house is built on a hill. It's a big downward slope to get out of his garage and onto the street. My brakes just couldn't do it, hence the fall.
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:51 am quote
I thought they were for riding?
Enthusiast
GTS 250 ie Super
Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 am quote
I haven't dropped my GTS yet but there's still time. I did drop the engine, I had it out to replace the head gasket and the table it was on collapsed. It landed on the water pump cover and cracked it. I just got the new cover so all is good.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 la Negrita 2015 GTS il pipistrello nero
Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:12 pm quote
Let's see....once with my LX...trying to turn it sharply in my driveway when I first got it.

Twice, IIRC, with the GTS. Once, with my daughter as pillion trying to walk it through a U-turn on gravel, the second time when I pulled over on a sloped, gravel drive to take a photo. Foot slipped on the gravel and it was all over. Damn.

Does tipping the LX off of a trailer count as one?

God, I sound like a feckin' disaster.
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:58 pm quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
I haven't dropped my GTS yet but there's still time. I did drop the engine, I had it out to replace the head gasket and the table it was on collapsed. It landed on the water pump cover and cracked it. I just got the new cover so all is good.
Always time for a mishap!
Addicted
79' p125x
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 am quote
if you haven't dropped it, its waiting to be dropped.... not dropped my vespa yet, but its been dropped for me, a mini bus last month backed into it at work, they picked it up and pretended nothing happened.. but i still noticed a new dent to the front mudguard...
Addicted
2007 GTS 250ie 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 803 2005 Sportster 883XL
Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 am quote
Mitchel wrote:
I've always been told there are two kinds of riders: those that have been down and those who are going down. There is no shame in going down. Pick it up and ride on.
Or said another way; There are two kinds of Motorcycle Riders. Those that have Crashed and those who have Not Crashed Yet.

I don't know how I do it but over the last 40+ years I have walked away from four crashes. At this point I'm figuring that I will probably be killed by a falling flower pot.
Ossessionato
Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am quote
DrScooter wrote:
Mitchel wrote:
Or said another way; There are two kinds of Motorcycle Riders. Those that have Crashed and those who have Not Crashed Yet.

I don't know how I do it but over the last 40+ years I have walked away from four crashes. At this point I'm figuring that I will probably be killed by a falling flower pot.
It should be 3 types....going down, been down, going down again.
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:06 am quote
I don't buy into the "inevitable wreck" myth. It's part of the stigma that feeds the "donorcycle" mentality. Every one of my drops and my two moving offs could have been avoided. It's not fate or destiny that makes a scooterist or motorcyclist drop their bike.

Moving: first one, I panicked as a new rider who didn't know about emergency braking. I had a facepalm epiphany moment a few months later when I took the BRC. Second one was because I was over eager to ride and didn't notice that the used bike I had just bought had bad tires.

Stationary drops: Most of mine have been because I got sloppy in paying attention to my balance and boot traction. The others were because I overestimated my ability and the weight of the vehicle. (It's embarrassing to slowly fall over on a cruiser because I wasn't paying attention to the CoG.)

Are we "only human?" Of course...but it's not fate.
Enthusiast
2001 ET4 125cc
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:44 am quote
Thanking my lucky stars that I got a 3rd/4th hand vespa (in my hands that is).

Erm, more than twice!?

First time within a week of picking her up, got side swiped and went down. HE drove off.

2nd time -3 wet man hole covers at the entrance to the road I was turning into. Literally looked at it and though - this should be fun.

3rd - At a set of lights misjudged the gap between the car and the curb and down she went while I jumped off and to the side.

The above were probably all within the first couple of months of riding and I mean riding anything other than a bicycle (which incidentally I'd learnt to ride that year too)

4th...A couple weeks ago when my road wasn't de iced and I came off the pavement and there was just no grip on the road for either her or me once I stood up again. Thankfully a police van turned the corner in time to help out as I couldn't actually stand upright and hold the scoot at the same time without both of us sliding. And usually my road is not a problem, the council just didn't bother to salt it on this occasion.

As it's covered in stickers I just add more to cover the scratches. So it still looks fine! I take her to my friends shop to look her over quite regularly. Aside from a broken lamp cover once actually no residual effects.
Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250 - sold :(
Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:21 am quote
Cheshire wrote:
I don't buy into the "inevitable wreck" myth. It's part of the stigma that feeds the "donorcycle" mentality. Every one of my drops and my two moving offs could have been avoided. It's not fate or destiny that makes a scooterist or motorcyclist drop their bike.

Moving: first one, I panicked as a new rider who didn't know about emergency braking. I had a facepalm epiphany moment a few months later when I took the BRC. Second one was because I was over eager to ride and didn't notice that the used bike I had just bought had bad tires.

Stationary drops: Most of mine have been because I got sloppy in paying attention to my balance and boot traction. The others were because I overestimated my ability and the weight of the vehicle. (It's embarrassing to slowly fall over on a cruiser because I wasn't paying attention to the CoG.)

Are we "only human?" Of course...but it's not fate.
yup, agree. I know it's often only said in jest, but still, these ideas sink into the subconscious and linger. There are, and always will be, people who succeed in never dropping or crashing their bike. It's what we all strive for, and it is achievable.
'09 LX 78cc
Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 am quote
sigh, just one day after the rebuild, I just can't have shiny things....

image.jpeg
it was windy last night...

Addicted
79' p125x
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am quote
commiserations!!! at least you weren't moving on it! pick it up, lick yer wounds and keep on biking...... if it makes you feel better, all my shiny things over the years, someone or something has de-shinyed it!!
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.1439s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0234s) ][ Debug on ]