How many times have you dropped your Vespa?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 am quote
DAVE So sorry. At least it was covered. Is there much damage? Gutted for you.
Hooked
2016 GTS 300 Settantesimo
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 am quote
I refuse to answer this question lest I become jinxed!
Molto Verboso
Kymco Like 200i
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:58 am quote
Never, but then again I don't own a Vespa. . Back in late '77 I just bought a new Honda 750F and rode up my neighbor's driveway to show off my purchase. As I manhandled the bike to turn around I found myself falling in slow motion. Thank goodness for dynoguards. Only damage was a broken mirror, cut to the throttle grip and my ego.
Enthusiast
2015 GTS 300
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:34 am quote
Vespa? Not yet
41 years riding I have had a cycle on the ground or pavement less then 10 times and most of those were silly stuff like sliding down my yard getting it out of my shed of putting v a foot down at a stop and finding a hole instead of Terra firma for my foot , etc. Once I tried to ride my RT across a damn that was also a community road. Bad idea. Had to drag it off the damn. No damage other than pride.

Gee did I really tell ya all that?

Phil
Addicted
2006 GT200
Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:30 pm quote
DaveOfEarth wrote:
sigh, just one day after the rebuild, I just can't have shiny things....
No! Bummer!

What's the right side look like?
2009 VESPA S 150, 2015 VESPA Sprint 50, 2015 Sprint 150, 2004 Ducati S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:30 pm quote
Never on a Vespa and never on a motorbike owned be me. I have had a couple of slow motion drops on rented bikes but never anything more than minor scratches adding a few hundred to the rental fee. The drops were all big BMW's, R or K bikes. It's been at least 10 years and 50K miles since I've had a drop.
Addicted
GTS250
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm quote
If backing into with my car and knocking it over counts, then 1 time in 50K miles...no dents - just some scratches/
Addicted
2007 GTS 250ie 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 803 2005 Sportster 883XL
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 pm quote
Cheshire wrote:
I don't buy into the "inevitable wreck" myth. It's part of the stigma that feeds the "donorcycle" mentality. Every one of my drops and my two moving offs could have been avoided. It's not fate or destiny that makes a scooterist or motorcyclist drop their bike.

Moving: first one, I panicked as a new rider who didn't know about emergency braking. I had a facepalm epiphany moment a few months later when I took the BRC. Second one was because I was over eager to ride and didn't notice that the used bike I had just bought had bad tires.

Stationary drops: Most of mine have been because I got sloppy in paying attention to my balance and boot traction. The others were because I overestimated my ability and the weight of the vehicle. (It's embarrassing to slowly fall over on a cruiser because I wasn't paying attention to the CoG.)

Are we "only human?" Of course...but it's not fate.
Well okay, no one says it is inevitable very probable. If I ride the bike around the block and never ride again then I guess I never had an accident. It is just a general statement, not the Law of God. However, most people who have a significant amount of miles USUALLY are involved in a bike "down" situation. Even in your driveway if you dump the bike I have seen people with multi fractures (Mind you they had a HOG) that although minor would be an accident. Noted after you said ""inevitable wreck" myth. It's part of the stigma that feeds the "donorcycle" mentality" Then you go on to tell about accidents? Look, I worked in a Trauma ER for some 20 years, I have seen some bad shit but I still choose to ride a Motorcycle. One can not ignore the fact that motorcycle are more dangerous than a cage. I'm sure there is someone who has never been down. I know a bunch of riders and not a single one has not dropped their bike. Live and learn, I'm not looking for your parts the correct phrase is probability of an accident. By the way, since it seems you are a new rider, who mention about dropping your bike a few times, I just want to point out that while not 100% there is the are ways to fall and minimize one injury, or learn to "shoot the gap" in a near T-Bone. Ever wonder why Professional Motorcycle Races can walk away from a crash that very well would have been over 100 mph ? The same wreck that most people here would have been killed, so how did "he/she) just walk away? I can explain it but it does not come naturally, one has to do what is drilled in despite what your emotion are telling you.

A Racer gets onto his back with hands and feet up so he will slide and not tumble. If you find yourself flying over a car because of a T-Bone DROP your head and go into a fetal position. The odds are you will come down on your shoulders and helmet with very little or no slide. I could explain shooting the gap but that a bit complex first you have to be perficient at how to put your bike in a controlled LOW end slide and then know how to correct that to normal driving. I am not an expert Motorcycle rider, I learn things every time I go out but having almost 45 years experience when needing to go into a low side slide I don't have to think much about, I am much more focused on finding that gap. If that is not a possibility I will lay the bike down between me and the car so I won't end up under the wheels.
Hooked
Piaggio BV 350, Zero SR electric, Honda NC700X
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:06 pm quote
BV - once while making a tight U turn on a steep driveway. Was able to let it down gently and the center stand saved me - no damage.

NC700 - once while backing into the garage. Thought the kickstand was down - wrong. Got pinned under the bike with my left boot trapped. When I realized I wasn't hurt I got the giggles thinking about how ridiculous I looked. Took me several minutes to wiggle myself out. No damage.

Zero - none by me but my knucklehead 18-year-old son took care of that for me. I was getting ready for a ride with the bike in the driveway when my son jumped on it. I yelled at him to get off but he was down in about 2 seconds just trying to coast down the driveway ("Gee Dad, it was heavier than I thought"). He heard a few special words from me that he had never heard me say before. Damage - scratched bar-end and mirror, broken brake lever (which was only available from Zero - $75!) I'm still a little mad!
Hooked
GTV 250, CB500F/A
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:25 pm quote
First Vespa:
#1: Racing bicyclists downhill, low-sided on a left-hand turn. Never do that kids!
#2: Crossing a moss-laden stream at 1 mph. Go figure.

Second Vespa: Zero (fingers crossed!)
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:16 pm quote
DrScooter wrote:
Look, I worked in a Trauma ER for some 20 years, I have seen some bad shit but I still choose to ride a Motorcycle. ...

...By the way, since it seems you are a new rider,
Let me stop your condescending mansplaining right there.
Point 1: You've seen stuff. As a paraplegic hit-and-run survivor, I've lived it.
Point 2: I'm not a new rider. I don't appreciate your assumptions.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous1234
[ Time: 0.1897s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0753s) ][ Debug on ]