Labor hours for a fork replacement
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 am quote
Help me answer a question from our son. He was wondering how much time it would take to replace a bent fork in a P Series. I sald, assuming only the fork needed replacement, a competent mechanic could do it in about 8 - 10 man hours.

That's predicated on starting with a new, bare fork and being able to use everything else from the original, as well as no complications.

Is my estimate correct?

He's a competent mech, but no Vespa experience and thinking about buying a P with what he was told has a bent fork. He plans on having a proper mech take a look before he does anything. I know that there are other concerns in this scenario, but I wanted to give him the "best case" scenario and let him work down from there to see if he wants this as a project.

Al
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:32 am quote
fair asessment on the hourly.

i did a fender replacement on a stella once in 2hrs... but that was straight on the hustle and while the fork needed to be dropped; there was no rebuilding of the suspension.

oh, and the bike wasn't particularly nice so i wasn't concerned about damaging anything, either.

an R&R on the fork is a easy 3hr job, add in swapping components between the damaged and new pieces and you can figure an extra hour or so. then figure some time for reassembly (which is a right pain on a full hydro system) and add in some mins for bleeding down the system.

so, yeah, with test riding... 8 is easy...
basically a full day job...

best,
-greasy
nothing at all
Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:56 am quote
well thats just great to hear considering it has taken me a month to do mine.(kidding,i am painting the bike)

but i'm glad that i decided to paint cause in takeing the fork out of the frame i found my top bearing,the thin one,was bad.

i had little metal balls all over the garage.

the point is these bearing sets take a fair amount of beating if there is even the smallest amount of slop or play.

replace em if you drop your fork.

can't hurt.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1466s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0308s) ][ Debug on ]