Opinions Wanted on Wheels
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
PX 150
Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 pm quote
Several months ago I started a thread in which I asked opinions about a 150 Super I was looking at. That thread is here: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic38783?highlight= I ended up buying it and it turns out the seller was a lying sack of sh@t about its condition. It turns out it had not run in ages--it could not have. From the 2 inches of crud in its tank and the fuel tap that was packed solid with what looks like mud and corrosion, to the carb that was totally plugged up, to the cables and trottle tube that were frozen with corrosion, to the installation of a 12v battery in a 6v system that fried the expensive headlight, plus lots more in teh way of surprises. Plus, the so-called great body has lots of rust underneath. Well, after working all my adult life on motorcycles I have now been home schooled in vintage Vespa repairs and it is actually running--though not well at low rpms. I figure it needs seals since I have totally rebuilt the carb and it has good spark. I also need to replace the tires, tubes and wheels. There is so much rust on the rims it does not make sense to try to rescue them--they are really very rusty on the left side. The hubs are also rust-covered but are salvageable. My question is this. Does it make sense for me to buy new 8" rims, tires and tubes or since I am spending money on the wheels, should I do a 10" conversion? Eric had suggested earler he could help with a list of parts for the conversion. Are they available used but clean so that it won't cost a fortune? I'm assuming if I stay with the 8" I will be buying brand new rims and tires. Your thoughts are appreciated.
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:28 pm quote
If it were me, i'd rock it as an 8" bike. I'd probably take the original 8" rims ( unless they were bent ) up to a bead blaster and have them blasted and powdercoated in a color similar to the factory aluminum color. It's only going to cost you 50 bucks or so to revive those old rims.

Only after you decide that you absolutely HATE 8" wheels would i tell you to bother upgrading. I'm a fan of leaving a bike stock.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with the bike. Still, though, i'd be happy with the purchase - that color is such a weird find that i would have probably shown up, paid money and just put it in the truck and not bothered starting it.

I NEVER trust a bike right when i get it - i have to go through it on my own first. Chem-dipping and rebuilding the carb, new cables, new fuel line, blasting out the inside of the tank, immediate oil change, and new tires / tubes are always things that get done before i typically even ride a bike.

So, you did the stuff i would have done to it even if it WAS sold as described. Surface rust comes off pretty easily with scotch bright, and then rubbing compound / wax over what you hit.

As for it not idling well, fiddle with the idle mix screw on teh back of the carb box. How's the smoke coming out of the exhaust? Really white? Does it rev uncontrollably or feel really boggy when you rev the throttle? I bet it's not seals so much as it might just need some carb readjustment.
Hooked
PX 150
Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 pm quote
Thanks Eric for the advice on the wheels. As far as how it runs, the questions you ask describe exactly how it runs. It does smoke a lot at times (it is the early style auto lube), it does rev high and take time to settle back down, and it is very boggy just off idle. Once you are running and the revs are up a bit it runs ok. What do you think this indicates? I have the mixture screw at the back of the carb at 1-1/2 turns out. I actually would have just replaced the carb but I can't find an oil injection 20/15. All I can find are pre-mix 20/15s.
Ossessionato
ET2, PX150
Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 pm quote
Bummer it's not a runner but damn is it still a good looking scooter.
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1511s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0370s) ][ Debug on ]