Visiting Los Angeles. Cool Scooter Shops and things to See?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...
Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 am quote
NoHo's totally legit. Putting the scooter jingoism aside, they deserve a lot of credit for putting a lot of folks on good, reliable bikes.

I like vintage bikes as much as the next guy ("had" a PX in the 80s) but ignoring the fact that many, if not most, CVT-equipped Taiwanese bikes are good and shops that carry them aren't "lame", is congruent with pretending that the new Mustang is going to save Ford and the new Camaro will keep GM alive.

It's 2009. Let's stop pretending otherwise.
Mike @ NoHo Scooters wrote:
checkflag wrote:
No offense, but NOHO scooters is kinda lame. All Chinese and Taiwanese
CRAP. no need to visit a shop like that if you only in LA for a short visit.
If you want to see a great collection of REAL scooters go to Bar Italia in
Van Nuys, Ca. Its close to Sherman Oaks Vespa.
Um, excuse me Mister I have a P200. I was riding P200s back when they were considered too modern. I have forgotten more about vintage scooters than you will ever know. I have owned more vintage scooters than you have owned pairs of underwear. I have put more long distance miles on vintage scooters than you probally have traveled in a car. I even rode a 1968 SS180 to Alaska. We stopped doing vintage when Bar Italia opened and sent them all of our customers. This was to provide better service to our customers with modern scooters that need their bikes to get to work everyday. It was a hard choice to make, but it really helped our service department. Many shop owners in other towns have told me that they wish a vintage shop would open to help relieve them of the service of old bikes.

Did you know I have a private collection of classic scooters and motorcycles that I often show to out of town guests?

Have you ever seen a 1964 Honda Juno scooter, well we have one of only two that were imported by American Honda back there. A Suzuki Cutlass scooter, got two of those. If you prefer Italian brands, we got some Vespas and Lambrettas back there too.

We also have part of my collection of vintage arcade and pinball machines on display in the showroom, and set on free play.

As for Bar Italia. Gary & Kristian are my friends whom I have known for years. Kristian even worked at NoHo for a short time. I reccomend checking out their shop.

NoHo Scooters only carries Taiwanese brands of scooters (Kymco, Genuine, and SYM), which I feel are some of the highest quality scooters sold in the United States. The only Chinese scooter model we carry is the Kymco Super 8, which is a million times better than generic Chinese scooters.
Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up
Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 am quote
Do you think they can make a section here on MV for touring and places to see. There is a lot of stuff here I would like to visit. Kind of prefer to see if it can be organized.
Hooked
2007 GTS, 2006 Kymco 150, '53 Blue Sparkle Gretsch, '66 Rogers Red/Black Onyx
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:13 am quote
Quote:
NoHo's totally legit. Putting the scooter jingoism aside, they deserve a lot of credit for putting a lot of folks on good, reliable bikes.
Agreed. I just had a nice conversation with Mike (Noho Scooters) at the Derby Dolls roller derby the other night displaying Kymcos and Buddys and, of course, his awesome SWAT van that he purchased at a police auction parked outside. I would would be tempted to purchase a Buddy BlackJack just to see that van pull up in front of my house to deliver the bike.
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:53 am quote
robotribe wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I've actually thought about trying to arrange some kind of modern on scooters architecture tour. May have to revisit thatů
Please do!
I'll get to work on it. I know the Modern Committee of the LA Conservancy and the LA Design & Architecture Meetup Group have arranged tours of a couple houses. We may be able to plot a course, stop and discuss each building, have a couple tours along the way, then end up with a social gathering in a modern setting.
coprock wrote:
Quote:
Um, excuse me Mister I have a P200. I was riding P200s back when they were considered too modern. I have forgotten more about vintage scooters than you will ever know. I have owned more vintage scooters than you have owned pairs of underwear. I have put more long distance miles on vintage scooters than you probally have traveled in a car. I even rode a 1968 SS180 to Alaska. We stopped doing vintage when Bar Italia opened and sent them all of our customers. This was to provide better service to our customers with modern scooters that need their bikes to get to work everyday. It was a hard choice to make, but it really helped our service department. Many shop owners in other towns have told me that they wish a vintage shop would open to help relieve them of the service of old bikes.
+1 NoHo is a great shop that provides great service. Mike is as knowledgeable about scooters of all eras and origin as anyone you'll ever meet. He's a hardcore scooterist and enthusiast and an all around great guy who has done a lot for the local scooter community. NoHo has also worked on my modern Vespa several times and I buy my maintenance parts and so on there.
Hooked
2007 GTS, 2006 Kymco 150, '53 Blue Sparkle Gretsch, '66 Rogers Red/Black Onyx
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:56 am quote
Quote:
robotribe wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I've actually thought about trying to arrange some kind of modern on scooters architecture tour. May have to revisit thatů
Please do!
I'll get to work on it. I know the Modern Committee of the LA Conservancy and the LA Design & Architecture Meetup Group have arranged tours of a couple houses. We may be able to plot a course, stop and discuss each building, have a couple tours along the way, then end up with a social gathering in a modern setting.
Count me in!
Hooked
ET4
Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:10 am quote
checkflag wrote:
No offense, but NOHO scooters is kinda lame. All Chinese and Taiwanese
CRAP. no need to visit a shop like that if you only in LA for a short visit.
If you want to see a great collection of REAL scooters go to Bar Italia in
Van Nuys, Ca. Its close to Sherman Oaks Vespa.

Maybe you can go home with a real vintage vespa to add to your collection.
(or for your daughter)

Either way, enjoy your stay here.
If the 1st Vespa made could have been a ET4 they would have done it. The tech. wasn't there yet. That why there vintage. 20 30 years ago a car was spent at 100000. The odo didn't even read it. Now they are at there half life. There is a reason you cant buy a GS at the Vespa dealer. Vintage bikes are like Paris Hilton, nice to look at, take it for a ride, but wouldn't want to own it.

Wait, if I was rich.... different story
Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:00 pm quote
volosong wrote:
Bobovespa wrote:
...Go to any In-N-Out Burger. Get a double double animal style. It wont be on the menu but they know it...
What is this "animal style" you speak of? After my first In-n-Out about 15 years ago, I have never stepped inside any other of the well-known burger fast-food chains. This is the first I've heard of "animal style". Tell me (us) more.
Animal Style Double Double:

Man, could I could go for one now...

For more detail and the other "secret menu items" at In-N-Out, google is your friend (and so am I: http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/)
Molto Verboso
She's an I-talian $$-burning machine
Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:26 pm quote
Food as Art
Mori Sushi in West LA.
Order O-ma-ka-se and sit in front of Mori-san. Every dish is a work of art. The man is so talented he even makes the pottery in which the food is served. For the freshest seafood in LA that's truly representative of the season, you can't go wrong @ Mori's. Go tomorrow!
The Host with the Toast
Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:00 am quote
Farmers Market, Dupars for lunch or breakfest oh, and rent a scooter from Eagle rider.
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:45 am quote
175mws wrote:
Farmers Market, Dupars for lunch or breakfest oh, and rent a scooter from Eagle rider.
If anyone ever comes to visit and does rent a scooter, I'm sure we could quickly assemble a group for a tour or ride through some of the best routes anywhere or we could hit all the sights. Scooter tours of stars' homes!

BTW, still working on putting together a list of stops for a scooter modern architecture tour. I think this may happen late summer/early fall. I'm trying to see which sites can actually be visited and where we might be able to get tours, etc.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1376s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0649s) ][ Debug on ]