Scorpion Exhaust -- Fittment Issues
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:54 am quote
So I just recieced my scoprion exhaust last night...even opted for rushed delivery to be sure I got it in time for the weekend. So I just received my scorpion exhaust last night...even opted for rushed delivery to be sure I got it in time for the weekend. Well it arrived last night and I couldn’t resist the temptation to put it on....after all its only 4 bolt!!!! Well four bolts....and three hours later I just could not get the header pipe/flange to seal nicely. I attached and reattached it numerous times thinking that the pieces were simply not fitting. Finally I broke down and called ScooterWest to see what the deal was....5 min later Im told that the mechanic had a similar issue when installing one and just used an extra copper washer (2 instead of 1) to cover the gap and create a tight seal....UGGGHHH the frustration....once again foiled by a $.25 piece.

Anyone else have this issue? Just an FYI for all of you ordering the scorpions from ScooterWest ask for an extra copper washer.
Well it arrived last night and I could'nt resisit the temptation to put it on....after all its only 4 bolt!!!! Well four bolts....and three hours later I just could not get the header pipe/flange to seal nicely. I attached and rettached it numerous times thinking that the pieces were simply not fitting. Finally I broke down and called ScooterWest to see what the deal was....5 min later Im told that the mechanic had a similar issue when installing one and just used an extra copper washer (2 instead of 1) to cover the gap and create a tight seal....UGGGHHH the frustration....once again folied by a $.25 piece.

Anyone else have this issue? Just an FYI for all of you ordering the scorpions from ScooterWest ask for an extra copper washer.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:45 pm quote
don't fret, it happens to all of us.

every aftermarket exhaust i've put on has taken a little massaging, even the sito-plus.

btw, you may want to order a extra set of exhaust nuts while you're there just incase you round one off.

best,
-greasy

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:42 pm quote
glad to hear that im not the only one....so you've heard of this fix?
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:55 pm quote
etpower wrote:
yes. while not my ideal fix, it is okay. just be sure to check your exhaust nuts periodically. when you stack gaskets (or washers) they sometimes have a tendancy to rattle loose over time. just listen for the pop-popping of a exhaust leak.

best,
-greasy
Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others
Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:29 pm quote
etpower,

A customer just had this same problem with his LX 150 and brought it to my shop to let me have a go at it. The things that he told me about the exhaust and the fitting where all true. It installed easy enough, but the exhaust flange was loose and I didn't dare try and start it. Also the clamp for the header pipe and exhaust box did not fit at all. I took a rough measurements and found that everything on the header pipe was a few mm off here and there which do add up. He has since contacted scooterwest and was given the same washer, which he has told me doesn't seem to work any better. It is a real shame because it is a great looking pipe and was told that it has a great noise about it, but if it doesn't fit correctly in the first go I would put my money into it. If anyone has any success let me know and what worked for you.

Sean
GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200
Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:55 pm quote
Install question.
Are you bolting the head pipe in place first and then bolting the muffler on or putting the pipe on as an assembly?
Hooked
Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:07 pm quote
Wetspeed wrote:
Are you bolting the head pipe in place first and then bolting the muffler on or putting the pipe on as an assembly?

I was given the entire exhaust system assembled, but installed the bracket first and got up under the scooter holding the exhaust up and placing the header into the manifold. Then bolting everthing in place with a little assitance. It was still really loose at this point, so I didn't bother to fire up the scooter. The header pipe and exhaust box do not go together easily and where even hard to take apart, also the clamp that is used to hold them both together did not even come close to matching up no matter what tools Elvis and I used. So at this point any help or advice would be helpful to me and the customer I want to help. thanks

Sean
Hooked

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:17 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
etpower wrote:
yes. while not my ideal fix, it is okay. just be sure to check your exhaust nuts periodically.
I myself have always been a big proponent of periodically checking your nuts.

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:49 am quote
well...i guess my first move will be to try to attach the flange with the stacked washers. If this doesn't provide a snug fit I am going to have to return it an ask for a full refund. Its really a shame but if it don't fit....it dont fit. Iguess I'll be going with a PM tuning.

As for the other pieces...getting the exhaust box attached to the header pipe and gettting the clamp on was truly a bitch but it was possiable...everything was snug cept for that damn flange.

I've installed aftermarket exhausts on my car and motocycle...both were way more intricate and went on with out an issue....cant believe what a pain a simple scooter exhaust with just 4 bolts can be.
et2 / stella w/sidecar /aprilia sr-50
Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:10 am quote
Shame on Scooter west
While we have all had to massage or tweak an aftermarket part to fit, it's extremely disappointing to call the company selling us the goods to be well aware of the problem and not build the cost of the fix into the cost an include it in the cost. Novel concept, it's this type of service that will discourage folks from spending money to make simple modifications to our scooter. Last spring I installed a 70cc kit on my ET2 with a 19mm carb from American Scooter Center. I asked them to send some some jets so I could dial it in. First set of jets would not even thread in wrong size! About two months later I received jets that worked. My case they had know idea about what they were selling, they wanted me to report back to tell them how to set it up (teach them at my expense hmmm). In your case they knew there was a problem did nothing to correct it, wanted you to share the frustrations they did. However all they had to do was pull a washer out of a bin on there work bench, lucky you get to wait for more mail and the extra money you spent on rush delivery is flushed down the toilet. Scooter tuning in the good old USA is garage league at best.
Hooked
Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:18 pm quote
Vespaet,

I have known Alex at Vespa motorsport (now called scooterwest) for years I'm sure he felt confident in the manufactures product to go ahead and sell it. I'm sure now he knows about the issue and is trying his best to resolve it and if all else fails, refund any money owed. As a Tech who has been working on Vespas for 10 years now I'm always learning new things about mods and kits at the customers expense or at my own and it is great to know at least the product does or doesn't work or how to make it work. That is a reason why I joined this forum. To learn from my fellow scooterist, and if they can learn something from me or if my advice has helped them in anyway then that is great. So stop bad mouthing the guys at scooterwest if you have never dealt with them personal. Your experience with another shop shouldn't reflect how all other shops operate. Speaking of kitted ET2 check out my project that I picked up on this forum. It is under Winter project ET 2 maybe you could give me some helpful advice. Thanks in advance. Ciao

Happy Scootering,
Sean Needham
Vespa Tech 23 Santa Monica
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2396s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0335s) ][ Debug on ]