MP3 front wheel light and locking mechanism not working
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3 250
Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:43 am quote
Hi all, I bought my bike used 2 weeks ago, and yesterday the front wheels locking mechanism stopped working, the light won't go off either. Has anyone experience that? is it dangerous?
Thanks
Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 am quote
The light that won't go off. If you are talking about the blinking lights that is NOT with the other instruments in the center. The blinking light that is on the front panel to the left of the other instruments. It's okay. That light blinking all the time. I forget what it's for but I know it's a good thing.

About your locking mechanism...I can recommend you turn your wheels all the way to the left after you have put the brake lever up. You know the can't lock the brakes with the lock on. You have to put the brake lever up first....This is not your problem, I'm just saying.
If you are doing turning your wheels all the way to the left, DOES THE KEY TURN TO THE LOCK POSITION?
MP3 250
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 am quote
front wheels locking mechanism
Okay, to follow up on my initial email, I'm talking about the option of locking the front wheels when you slow down to 5mph the light that blinks which tells you that you can move the switch to the left to lock the two front wheels, or the option of stabilizing the front wheels when you park, no the blink red ligth to the left, I"m talking about the yellow/orange light that blink when you slow down to a stop, the switch doesn't lock the wheels anymore, the light doesn't go off anymore.
Molto Verboso
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 am quote
Bummer...I dont' use the suspension/tilt lock when riding. I only use the suspension lock when I park it.
Does this tilt lock work when you park it or are you forced to use the center stand/
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:29 am quote
Just to be clear
E = Front suspension locking system warning light
Q = Front suspension locking system failure warning light

Last edited by ramblerdan on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
MP3 250
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:30 am quote
No the wheels don't lock anymore, I have to use the kickstand.
Molto Verboso
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:37 am quote
Hello,, Jim...calling Jim, Luthorhuss, Fuzzy,,,anybody?...This is a good one.
MP3 250
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:44 am quote
yes that's it, thanks for the diagram. When I started the bike this am, the Q light was blinking, then it turned itself off. But it didn't change anything.
THanks for all your help, hope it's not a major deal!
Addicted
MP3 Piaggio 2007
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 am quote
Locking switch double clk.
Did you try the clicking the locking switch twice quickly to the right? This is supposed to reset locking mechanism. Check in your manual , it talks about this issue.
Hope this helps
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250 Sky Blue "Mahayana II"; RIP "Mahayana I"
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:05 am quote
I would recommend getting it to a dealer ASAP. If it's an electronics failure - and it sounds like one - on a new scoot, what's going to fail next?
Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 am quote
Happens to me when I back up because somehow my weight comes off the seat and confuses it and it won't lock. I click it twice to the right or left (sorry, don't ever remember which, I just do it until it works). So glad I read the forum so I knew that particular bit of wisdom. Sometimes I sort of bounce on the seat as a way of telling it "Look, I really am here!" When it gets REALLY confused I have to do both steps several times.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:02 am quote
Several thing can make the 'Q' light come on - the most common of which is the seat sensor. Either the rider isn't putting enough weight on the seat (putting too much weight on their feet - often happens at start-up for newbies) or the sensor is faulty (less common these days). The system can get confused, and the 'E' light comes on continuously and the locking won't work. Cure, switch off, wait ten seconds, and start from scratch *without* confusing the system. Hint, wait until the headlight comes on (about 3 seconds)before attempting anything else. All the electronics has then settled down having done its checks.

If it definitely isn't one of these situations then get a dealer to look at it, there are other possible (but much more unlikely) causes.
MP3 250
Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm quote
the culprit faulty wire
Hey all, I got my bike back today from the dealer who showed me what the problem was with my non-locking front wheel business. Attached is a pix of it. He said that because of the way the wheels turn, that the cable got "cut" therefore preventing the wheels to lock. However that said, I drove it around the block and it still not working, bringing it back sometime this week. The dealer said he needs to reset the computer...
I hope I didnt' get a lemon.....
Nicou

IMG00195.jpg
hope you can see that plug with the wire being severed...

Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:37 pm quote
Any chance your engine rpm's are too high at idle? Can you lock the wheels with the key on but the engine not running?
MP3 250
Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:42 pm quote
front wheel not locking
Hi Zinfan, yes I can to that today after I brought it back to the dealer, so now I can at least park it without using the kickstand.
Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:24 am quote
Re: front wheel not locking
Nicou wrote:
Hi Zinfan, yes I can to that today after I brought it back to the dealer, so now I can at least park it without using the kickstand.
If it is idleing too fast (>2000 rpm or so) the lock won't engage. Some ways to tell if the idle is off is to have the wheels locked and then start up the bike, be very careful but sit on the bike (so the seat sensor knows you are there) and be ready if the bike unlocks on its own without you touching the throttle, mine did it once or twice but that was because I had attached an aftermarket EFI controller to it and it was fighting with the ECU on fuel injection. Also if the bike has the suspension locked you can start up the bike and watch it idle, without you on the bike if it tries to raise rev's above the 2000ish limit you should hear the bike hesitate and stumble. This should be the same reaction the bike has if you are standing next to it (not sitting on the seat) and you try to give it some gas, the bike shouldn't allow rev's to build in that case.
Enthusiast
MP3-400
Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:29 pm quote
I posted about this when it happened to me, but same exact symptoms. Hopefully our dealer is more knowledable than mine, as he has had my bike since October. I finally called piaggio to complain, and they said they would have someone call, but have not heard anything yet. Exact same symptoms though. Love to hear what fix is when you get it.
Enthusiast
MP3-400
Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:55 am quote
any final word on what your problem was? Dealer still has my bike, though they claim its the locking motor, with a part supposed to arrive today or tmorrow, though I heard that before.

Darn shop, purchased the Givi Windshield, and Coocase top box and cant install it, due to its being in for service, for what-7 months? Grssss.
Addicted
MP3 250 -> MP3 400 -> Gilera Fuoco -> SRV 850 -> Beverly 350
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Several thing can make the 'Q' light come on - the most common of which is the seat sensor. Either the rider isn't putting enough weight on the seat (putting too much weight on their feet - often happens at start-up for newbies) or the sensor is faulty (less common these days). The system can get confused, and the 'E' light comes on continuously and the locking won't work. Cure, switch off, wait ten seconds, and start from scratch *without* confusing the system. Hint, wait until the headlight comes on (about 3 seconds)before attempting anything else. All the electronics has then settled down having done its checks.

If it definitely isn't one of these situations then get a dealer to look at it, there are other possible (but much more unlikely) causes.
The seat sensor is the Q light on solid. If it's flashing it's supposedly a 'real' problem with the mechanism.

Mine comes on solid at the mo coz the sensor is screwy I can still override it, but it's annoying.
Piaggio MP3 250
Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:12 pm quote
flashing "Q" - check for speed sensors and their w
elementalist wrote:
The seat sensor is the Q light on solid. If it's flashing it's supposedly a 'real' problem with the mechanism.
If you have flashing "Q" light, check the cabling from both speed sensors, located on the inside of the wheels.

I just "cured" mine, having found a wire with snapped core - the cabling to the front wheel sensor is simply too short, putting too much stress on the core of the cable. Sooner or later it WILL snap.

After having fixed mine, I am planning to cut the wires on both sides and insert about 5-10 mm of cable, to release the strain.

Hope it helps - just wanted to stress that flashing "Q" is not necessarily mechanical problem, but also indicates a problem with one of remaining three sensors.

Cheers,
Ivica
Addicted
Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:46 am quote
I don't want to hijack, but does anyone know a fix for the solid Q light, ie. the seat sensor malfunction?
Banned

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:04 am quote
Re: flashing "Q" - check for speed sensors and the
ivujanic wrote:
elementalist wrote:
If you have flashing "Q" light, check the cabling from both speed sensors, located on the inside of the wheels.

I just "cured" mine, having found a wire with snapped core - the cabling to the front wheel sensor is simply too short, putting too much stress on the core of the cable. Sooner or later it WILL snap.

After having fixed mine, I am planning to cut the wires on both sides and insert about 5-10 mm of cable, to release the strain.

Hope it helps - just wanted to stress that flashing "Q" is not necessarily mechanical problem, but also indicates a problem with one of remaining three sensors.

Cheers,
Ivica
Just wondering if anyone with a 400 or 500 has had this happen?

WOW, just heard really loud noise in the data center I work in. Going to investigate

Wayne B
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:57 am quote
elementalist wrote:
I don't want to hijack, but does anyone know a fix for the solid Q light, ie. the seat sensor malfunction?
A number of things can cause the Q to light, but if you want to override the sensor, search phrase "seat sensor" returns this thread.
Addicted
Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:27 am quote
ramblerdan wrote:
elementalist wrote:
A number of things can cause the Q to light, but if you want to override the sensor, search phrase "seat sensor" returns this thread.
Excellent, thanks Dan.
Lurker
2007 Piaggio MP3 250ie
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:38 am quote
Similar issue
I just ran across this as I'm goggling a similar issue. I rode my bike to work today, like every other day, and as I was going through the back private drives to the parking garage, I experienced the red tilt/uneven light going off as slowed down to go over a speed bump, and the tilt lock light did not come on. The biggest issue is that I used it 150 feet prior with no issues. No it will not come on at all, but the red light will come on and off intermittently. No alarm tones, nothing. Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't hit the speed bump at speed or anything; my first thought was that it was due to there still being standing water, due to it raining last night, but this has never been an issue before...
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2229s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0526s) ][ Debug on ]