@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Inspired by the posts on mounting a GPS, I decided to give it a try too. I have a Garmin Etrex, which I've used in backpacking, off-road and road bicycling, and kayaking. It's the base model, which doesn't have any map or street display capabilities. It is the same physical size, and retains the same case, as other models in the Etrex line. So, my mounting approach is applicable across the Garmin Etrex line.

I simply used the Garmin Etrex bicycle mount ($18.00), which I had on-hand, and a rubber bushing, to mount the Etrex to the left mirror stem. I needed the rubber bushing to pad the stem up to a 1" diameter, but it is also acts as a damper to isolate the GPS from vibrations.

If you already own an Etrex, and want to mount it on your Vespa, you may want to try my approach.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@ifixjets avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.

Ossessionato
@ifixjets avatar
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.
UTC quote
GPS Mounting
I had mounted mine on my GT, on the left brake res cover. Works great and can be viewed in direct sunlight and the E-Trex I have also has a backlight for night viewing. Bear
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
The funny thing is that I used to own that exact eTrex model (I managed to break mine in a freak, umm, dropping accident) and I had that exact bicycle mount for it, which I'm sure is still in my closet somewhere. It never occurred to me put that mount together with my new eTrex Vista for a simple and easy GPS mount. Kudos to Gary for not making things harder than they need to be.
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
With that mount being made for a much larger bar; will it stay solidly in place with the spacer/rubber that you have to use to make it fit? It is ok if it move a little here and their without a wind screen, but if it rubs up against the Plexiglas wind screen you will have a nasty permanent scratch.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Off-Topic:

Gary, what are you sailing there!?

I have an '81 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 that has been acting as a leaf collector for a few years. I used to race all over Virginia and North Carolina, along with either crewing or racing a borrowed Hobie 16.
OP
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
With that mount being made for a much larger bar; will it stay solidly in place with the spacer/rubber that you have to use to make it fit? It is ok if it move a little here and their without a wind screen, but if it rubs up against the Plexiglas wind screen you will have a nasty permanent scratch.
No GPS movement is detected at all Curt, unless you actually grab the GPS and try to twist it. The windscreen likes to jump around allot though, but it can't reach the GPS.
OP
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Off Topic: Catalina 22 Sailboat
Smorris wrote:
Off-Topic:

Gary, what are you sailing there!?

I have an '81 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 that has been acting as a leaf collector for a few years. I used to race all over Virginia and North Carolina, along with either crewing or racing a borrowed Hobie 16.
It's a 22' Catalina, Steve. It sleeps 4, has a head and galley, and a Honda 4-stroke outboard. I raced for a while too, but in a different 1-design class. I raced a Sunfish. Laughing emoticon
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Glad to hear that it stay in place pretty good. I would make it a precheck before every ride making sure they are not going to rub against each other.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0596s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0287s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]