Yosemite by Scooter?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 29652
Location: Bay Area, California
Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:00 pm quote
Just curious if anyone has done a Yosemite trip via scooter. I'm especially interested if anyone's made it up to the Tioga Pass (elevation 9941 feet).

Seems like a decent sized scooter could make it.
Ossessionato
Many
Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Posts: 3325

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:16 pm quote
The GTS250ie would handle it best. It is closed now but I did it a month ago in a car.
Molto Verboso
06 GTS250. 00 Yamaha Vino airsal 70cc. 01 ET4 (wrecked). 67 Lambretta Vega125. 48 Beam Doodlebug Super. 1915 Board Track replica 80cc
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1352
Location: Monterey Ca.
Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:33 pm quote
I agree with cfargo, I think the injection would handle the altitude, at least it should.
We went two up on our et back in the summer of 02 and it was struggling at Tenaya Lake (8500), max speed about 45.
http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/YosBel2.jpg
Ossessionato
Jeep 4dr. Rubicon, Hard Rock
Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 2529
Location: Olympia, WA
Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:38 am quote
Yosemite
I've taken my older BMW up there and over the pass several times. Seems like any scooter will do it, just depends on how fast you want to go. It gets so crowded up there that slow going usually isn't a problem, especially heading up. When my GT250 comes in I'll try it and let you know (I'll be 2-up w/ gear).
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:53 am quote
Re: Yosemite by Scooter?
jess wrote:
Just curious if anyone has done a Yosemite trip via scooter. I'm especially interested if anyone's made it up to the Tioga Pass (elevation 9941 feet).

Seems like a decent sized scooter could make it.
Hi Jess,

Please allow me to be the first to invite you to join us on Cannonball Run 2006 when we will ride from west to east right through Yosemite on scooter(s)

Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 29652
Location: Bay Area, California
Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:27 am quote
Re: Yosemite by Scooter?
jrsjr wrote:
Please allow me to be the first to invite you to join us on Cannonball Run 2006 when we will ride from west to east right through Yosemite via scooter(s)
Hehe. My wife has already pre-emptively made it clear to me that I shall under no circumstances sign up for Cannonball. I'm sure it would be fun, though, no doubt about it.
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:52 am quote
Re: Yosemite by Scooter?
jess wrote:
Hehe. My wife has already pre-emptively made it clear to me that I shall under no circumstances sign up for Cannonball.
My wife took a slightly different tack. Basically, for one Cannonball, I give up two birthdays and two Christmasses, go to one of her huge bi-annual family reunions without complaints, and basically cede the moral high ground in any and all disputes for two years. And it's still worth it.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 29652
Location: Bay Area, California
Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:56 am quote
Re: Yosemite by Scooter?
jrsjr wrote:
My wife took a slightly different tack. Basically, for one Cannonball, I give up two birthdays and two Christmasses, go to one of her huge bi-annual family reunions without complaints, and basically cede the moral high ground in any and all disputes for two years. And it's still worth it.
I think my wife is primarily concerned with how terrifying it would be to sit by the phone waiting for news that I've been run over by an SUV for a week or two.
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:06 am quote
Re: Yosemite by Scooter?
jess wrote:
I think my wife is primarily concerned with how terrifying it would be to sit by the phone waiting for news that I've been run over by an SUV for a week or two.
Well, if that's her worry, we can solve that. You can just ride with me. Nobody's going to run over me 'cuz I'm too mean to die. You can tell by my tough-guy scooter T-shirt.

Grrr...

Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
GT200
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 1208

Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:01 am quote
Re: Yosemite by Scooter?
jrsjr wrote:
right through Yosemite on scooter(s)
Actually the Cannonball '06 isn't going through Yosemite, it's going through Yellowstone.

Yosemite is quite a bit out of the way for the '06 route.
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1985
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:31 am quote
Re: Yosemite by Scooter?
Mesmer wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
right through Yosemite on scooter(s)
Actually the Cannonball '06 isn't going through Yosemite, it's going through Yellowstone.

Yosemite is quite a bit out of the way for the '06 route.
You're right, of course, I'm loopy as heck from all these stoopid cough meds I'm taking to keep from hacking my fool head off. Thanks.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 29652
Location: Bay Area, California
Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:39 pm quote
Oh -- well in that case, the deal is off.



p.s. It's good to see your familiar scooter sig graphic again...
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1995s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0384s) ][ Debug on ]