** Need Advice **
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:50 am quote
I am looking to get my first Vespa and have heard the horror stories about buying asian restored bikes. but i have found two dealers run by americans who claim that they moved over seas to ensure that the work is done correctly. but i have no way of knowing whether or not they actually do good work.

have any of you bought a bike (or know someone who has) from allVespa or AMPS Global? if so please respond and let me know if the bike was quality or not.

thanks, this is a huge help.
greg
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:20 am quote
Greg,

This is always a hot topic and you will find more information about this company on the ScooterBBS

The problem is that they LOOK great, but the parts used are often used or repaired. Their view of quality does not match our view of quality. Your safety is at risk, so make your choice wisely.

From the allvespa site:

Testimonials from past Vespa customers
We can provide customer's e-mail address for references - but don't want to abuse this relationship with past customers or future customers

I would take them up on that! Not that you can totally trust the people they will refer you to either. Talk to someone who has been riding the bike they bought after a year and see what problems they have had.

Best of luck. You could always buy a Modern Vespa

Tom
Hooked
06' Vespa LX150, 73' Serveta Jet200, 64' Vespa GL150
Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:56 am quote
American Scooter Center & Scooterworks are both offering VBBs that have been restored in India. They're American companies who will stand behind their product and I would trust them sooner than I would one of these guys who import Vietnamese bikes.

I get offers all the time at the shop from someone who knows someone who knows someone who lives in Vietnam and thinks its a good idea for me to buy a container load of Vespas at $300-$600 a piece.

You may also want to investigate a company called MotoItalia (http://www.motoitaliascooters.com), some people on the BBS have been happy purchasing scooters from them. Its a british company and they're pretty well received on the brit boards. I'm trying to get a sample from them but its been slow going...

That being said, are there any clubs local around you? Buying a local bike with history from people you're going to ride with is generally the best way. Just don't be like some of these people who pay out the nose for a rusted heep in some guys barn because they got scared of "the asian threat".
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:59 am quote
Where are you located, Greg? I know of several vintage scooters for sale in the NY/NJ area. Others may have personal knowledge of scooters for sale in your area.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:02 am quote
i live in manhattan (union sq) but am very willing to travel outside the city to inspect/buy a bike.

i'm very interested in hearing about any vintage vespas being sold locally. please let me know.

thanks for all the help eveyone.
greg
Technical Moderator
Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:13 am quote
Okay, Greg. I was transacting business with the owner of this 1969 Vespa Sprint 150 last week. I saw the scooter in-person, but didn't examine it in any detail. That wasn't the purpose of my visit.
I can't endorse the scooter, and can only say from casual observance, it appears to be the real-deal. If you do follow-up on that scooter, feel free to mention my visit (just don't elaborate).

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:51 am quote
Thanks a ton Gary. This is a HUGE help. What is the best way to get the bike checked out by a mechanic? Please let me know if you hear of anything else.

Greg
Technical Moderator
Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:03 am quote
I've sent you information off-line, Greg.
Addicted
Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125, Honda Metropolitan
Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:31 am quote
Check out Scooters Originali in Orange, NJ
http://www.scootersoriginali.com

Also, Brooklyn Bretta in um.. Brooklyn
http://www.brooklynbretta.com/
Ossessionato
Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:32 am quote
There are also Vespas and Lambrettas called Classico that are done in India. The main point of contact is Sportique Scooters in Denver.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250
Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:56 am quote
No Sale
If I can't touch it, check it out, talk to the person selling it, I'm not buying it. There's way to many really GOOD older scooters for sale here from good dealers/people (already mentioned) to buy a scooter from a far-away place.
Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:49 am quote
You might also call Chelsea at SCOMO in Richmond (not too far from you). She's got some nice vintage models and some expertise.

And she's nice
Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:19 am quote
My brother got a Vespa restored in Vietnam when he was there & shipped back..

Looks great, loads of nice touches but in the end he replaced the engine... it seems that some parts are hard to get & they make them themselves from whatever's available... (he was told this is not uncommon)..
Lurker
Vespa VBC
Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:15 am quote
Check out Sportique and Scooterworks. They both are reputable and have people that know twhat they are doing
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1457s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0330s) ][ Debug on ]