OP
@scooter808 avatar
UTC

2005 PX150 Serie America #351

@scooter808 avatar
UTC quote
I've been looking for a 1971 Sprint and I found the following for sale on scoot.net for $2500.00. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

1971 Vespa Sprint Veloce
We have a very nice Vespa sprint 150cc. I went through this Scoot last winter and repainted it a nice cream color. Before the repaint the scoot was a very reliable rust free scoot just needed some cosmetic help to be really nice. New rubber seals,headlight bezel,brake switch,speedo cable,clutch rebuilt,handle grips,shift and brake handles, fuel tap,floor rubber's,center stand boots,ect... The original 150cc 4 speed motor runs great and is reliable.

Additional pictures and description can be found four listings down from the top at: http://scoot.net/classifieds/?page=4
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@phaetn avatar
UTC

Addicted
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore

Addicted
@phaetn avatar
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore
UTC quote
I'll let others that routinely sell scooters chime in, but would point out that it depends on its condition, and what your local prices are. The price does seem a little on the high side, but -- like any transaction or material object -- value is in the eyes of the beholder. It certainly appears from photos to be good, but you want to see it in person, and know about its title and how easy/hard it would be to register.

What you really want to be aware of is the condition of the frame. Is the dealer reputable, or could it be a cheap imported scoot that's been "polished" up?

As it is, the Veloce is a good 150 to get: it has a 3 port motor and a slightly larger carb than earlier Sprints or a contemporary Super 150 of the period. Some general details here: http://www.scooterlounge.com/Vespa/Sprint/Sprint.shtml

One thing that's a bit odd is that it has the US spec round headlight, but the Euro spec taillight housing, though it could have simply been a preference of a past owner to install that.
@jeremy_w avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport

Molto Verboso
@jeremy_w avatar
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
UTC quote
I have seen this scoot in person and know the dealer personally. He's a straight shooter and a good guy.

The bike was purchased from Blue Cat Motors in St. Paul, MN in original, unrestored condition. I'm certain the bike is not from Asia. It did need a new paint job, but the body was not rusty.

Austin repainted the bike as well as the other items listed. The bike runs and drives great, I've seen it.

He does good body work and has restored and sold several classic VWs.
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
thats what i call helpfull.

person "a" likes scoot "b" in location "c" and person "d" in location "c" checks out scoot "b" and gives it a thumbs up to person "a".

awsome jeremy. 8)

but how much is shipping to the islands?
@mayhemsbehindthewheel avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mayhemsbehindthewheel avatar
UTC quote
Re: Is this a good deal? 1971 Vespa Sprint Veloce
Scooter808 wrote:
I've been looking for a 1971 Sprint and I found the following for sale on scoot.net for $2500.00. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

1971 Vespa Sprint Veloce
We have a very nice Vespa sprint 150cc. I went through this Scoot last winter and repainted it a nice cream color. Before the repaint the scoot was a very reliable rust free scoot just needed some cosmetic help to be really nice. New rubber seals,headlight bezel,brake switch,speedo cable,clutch rebuilt,handle grips,shift and brake handles, fuel tap,floor rubber's,center stand boots,ect... The original 150cc 4 speed motor runs great and is reliable.

Additional pictures and description can be found four listings down from the top at: http://scoot.net/classifieds/?page=4
Later model Sprints came with a rounded head light due to US specs calling for a sealed beam headlight...earlier models had the European trap headlight. Sprint motors are great runners too. If I had the $ I would buy it.
@hp avatar
UTC

Addicted
'60 VS5, '63 Li 150 Special, '07 PX125

Addicted
@hp avatar
UTC quote
I like that bike.

Regarding the headset, I want to say that it looks like the correct larger European round headlight, not the US version. Later Euro Sprints came with this headset, not sure of the exact transition details, if it was a Veloce thing or what...
OP
@scooter808 avatar
UTC

@scooter808 avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for all the comments guys, especially Jeremy...priceless! Definitely gives me a lot more confidence is making a decision without being able to personally see.

Trying to get an estimate on shipping now, but from what I understand somewhere around $300.00

Eric
@provastian avatar
UTC

Hooked
1985 T5 Mk1, 1984 PX200 EFL

Hooked
@provastian avatar
1985 T5 Mk1, 1984 PX200 EFL
UTC quote
If it came from Blue Cat then it's a Euro model. Blue cat got a couple of container loads of bikes from Italy last year.
@jeremy_w avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport

Molto Verboso
@jeremy_w avatar
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
UTC quote
Provastian wrote:
If it came from Blue Cat then it's a Euro model. Blue cat got a couple of container loads of bikes from Italy last year.
Yep, I got my P2 from Blue Cat and it's Euro.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
i'd say at 2500 that's a decent deal

you get the cool 10" sprint with the good 3port motor. big euro headlight, batteryless wiring system and all.

basically, you could pay 1500 for the same bike in poor cosmetic condition and then drop an easy 1500 into it within a matter of months.

best,
-greasy
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
i'd say at 2500 that's a decent deal

you get the cool 10" sprint with the good 3port motor. big euro headlight, batteryless wiring system and all.

basically, you could pay 1500 for the same bike in poor cosmetic condition and then drop an easy 1500 into it within a matter of months.

best,
-greasy
greasy is usually spot on when it comes to the numbers.

subtract the 300 shipping and offer 2200.

after that except what they say,the relationship will be worth more than any nickel and dimeing you'll do.
OP
@scooter808 avatar
UTC

@scooter808 avatar
UTC quote
Shipping woes!
After about a dozen quotes that ran up to $1900 to ship the scooter out to Hawaii, it looks like $998.00 is the lowest available through ABF Freight. If you have any recommended shipping companies let me know.

Otherwise, I've got to decide if it's worth spending $1k to ship out a bike worth $2.5k...

Mahalo!
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
Call you local Allied Van Lines office, or one that specialized in military moves. See if it would be possible to piggy back the scoot on someone's shipment. You would still have to get the scoot to the shipment's origin.

Al
@hp avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@hp avatar
UTC quote
Ask Guillermo at Lambretta Works who he used and how much... I think he recently shipped a bike to HI.

http://lambretta.net/
@steve_mcgarrett avatar
UTC

A Few Vintage Scoot's

@steve_mcgarrett avatar
A Few Vintage Scoot's
UTC quote
Eric,

Drop me a line, I have an account with ABF.

Garrett

HPD 5-0
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0958s ][ Queries: 19 (0.0677s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]