Riding Gear
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
BV 250
Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:05 am quote
I just finished perusing Pat Hahns book How to Ride a Motorcycle. He places alot of emphasis on boots, jackets/pants. Being a rather limited budget, but wanting to be safe, which in your opinion, would rank 1,2,3. I believe that gloves and helmet are very impt, and I have both.
Thanks for your input.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:07 am quote
boots and jacket are no.1 in priority
BV 250
Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:12 am quote
apparel
Thanks for the quick reply. Leather or textile jacket? What to look for in boots?
Thanks
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super
Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:17 am quote
Jacket and boots. I prefer textile but leather is probably better for sliding and protecting your skin. As for boots, I prefer no laces (velcro), they must cover and protect your ankles with armour. Sliding down the street would quickly leave you with no skin and very damaged ankles without any skin on them.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK
Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:23 am quote
I like textile as those jackets offer armour in the shoulders and elbows, some offer back protectors as well. The boots should cover over your ankles and offer good comfort and not be so restrictive that you walk like Frankenstien. Dianese has a nice boot that after laced up has a velco toungue that covers the laces, thhis is so they won't get tangle on anything on the scoot when riding.
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:24 am quote
I would also go with boots and jacket first. The gear can cost a lot, so you are wise to do your homework first. The boots need to fit (some companies offer 1/2 sizes and varying widths, while others don't), and need to offer ankle protection. Some come up higher to offer lower shin protection. Soles should be non-skid. Some offer toe protection, while others don't. Consider whether you prefer laces or velcro. Can you walk in them reasonably comfortably? The bottom line is, if you hate wearing them, you won't.

Where to start with jackets? There are so many different types, features and styles. I'd make a list of what features you are looking for, and what budget you have. Talk to others about why they choose what they did. Fit is very important. Little annoyances in the show room (like a collar that scratches) will become more serious distractions after you've been on the road for a while. Of course, pick a style that appeals to you. How much armour, what type, and where it is located is another consideration. Again, fit is important. If the jacket doesn't fit right, then the armour will not be in proper position. You can get some mail order sales, but I wouldn't buy a jacket that I hadn't tried on any more than I would buy a helmet that I hadn't tried.

It is worth considering cost. We all have to live within a budget (at least I do). At the time when I first bought my gear, I remember thinking about how much money it was all starting to cost. I was tempted to cut corners to try and save a few dollars. However, I decided in the end that I wouldn't sacrifice fit for price. After all, if you don't like the gear, or it doesn't "feel right" then you'll be more tempted to leave it behind. A newer jacket in the closet isn't going to help you.

The good news is that you can likely find what you need at a cost that is reasonable.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:54 am quote
I have a textile armoured jacket, fullface helmet, kevlar gloves, jeans and doc martins on me feet. Slid up the road so bought a new helmet just incase. But I was all good so think I'll stick with this combo.
I wouldnt buy riding boots as they are more biker also feel the same about leather. But thats me.

You can buy alot of good gear at second hand bike markets (swap meets over there I think}. But I wouldnt touch a second hand helmet
Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS
Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:59 am quote
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am quote
T5bitsa69 wrote:
I have a textile armoured jacket, fullface helmet, kevlar gloves, jeans and doc martins on me feet. Slid up the road so bought a new helmet just incase. But I was all good so think I'll stick with this combo.
I wouldnt buy riding boots as they are more biker also feel the same about leather. But thats me.
There are riding boots which aren't leather and are a little less biker. I have these Frank Thomas Pro-Stunt boots.

I think boots are the one area where you can get away with gear not specifically designed for riding. A good-quality heavy leather over-the-ankle boot with a good, high-traction rubber sole (like Doc Marten's, many work boots, etc.) will provide protection and support. A lot of people like steel-toed tactical boots, which can be found pretty cheap from surplus stores and online.
Addicted
Vespa GTS 250 and others
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 am quote
After helmet and gloves, a jacket would be next in line. There are several companies that make a three season, textile riding jacket. Having a zip out liner is a very nice option. When it gets really warm I sometimes use a mesh jacket to inprove airflow. It has armour in all the right places. Try on lots of styles before you purchase. Boots are another subject all together. For me, motorcycle specific boots are a little uncomfortable on a scooter and somewhat difficult to walk in. Protecting your ankle is very important. I like those "Pro-Stunt" boots from the previous post. I'm going to take a look. Maybe it's just the name. I always wanted to be a "pro" at something.
Molto Verboso
Black Molly - GTS 300 Harley Super Glide
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 am quote
Helmet with chin guard and gloves are the priority

Boots - Look at Justine boots - You can wear them as normal shoes and they give great protection from wind, cold, and rain.

I have a pair in deerskin and I'm going to get a pair in black

As far as jackets - textile is best for me. I have a couple jackets for winter with lining that can be removed, and I just got a lightweight summer jacket with armor

Like it or not... eventually you will have a bit of money invested in clothing
BV 250
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 am quote
apparel
Thanks to all that have answered by query. Excellent advice. In the interim of posting and reading the last few responses, I did find a nice jacket, textile, at a local motorcycle store. Very comfortable, with a zip out lining.
Now onto finding some boots.
Banned

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 am quote
If you never ride a motorcycle or a vintage scooter,
then there is nothing for laces to tangle on

I've been very happy with my hiking/riding boots:

which do have a lot of ankle support & protection
BV 250
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 am quote
JLB wrote:
Does anyone know who that poor soul is? I wonder if he lost his foot, he definitely has some arterial damage; look how purple his foot is and how pale his toes are. I guess wearing sneakers isn't very safe.
OUCH[/u][/b]
Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:00 am quote
I think he has a broken ankle, hence the swelling and blue color.

He was wearing long pants and still got torn up pretty bad.
Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 am quote
Re: apparel
hospdoc wrote:
Thanks to all that have answered by query. Excellent advice. In the interim of posting and reading the last few responses, I did find a nice jacket, textile, at a local motorcycle store. Very comfortable, with a zip out lining.
Now onto finding some boots.
I bought my riding boots from Ebay. They are 8" side-zip Danner Gore-tex boots that are well over $200 new. I paid $42, and they were never worn.

People buy expensive boots all of the time online, but then find out they don't fit. Thet then dump them on Ebay for whatever they can get, and I got lucky.
Hooked
GTS250ie - Avidity
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:07 am quote
T5bitsa69 wrote:

You can buy alot of good gear at second hand bike markets (swap meets over there I think}. But I wouldnt touch a second hand helmet
Do you know where these markets are in London - I'd love to go as budget is tight for me to.
Addicted
GTS250ie

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:17 am quote
Get a leather jacket and some doc martin boots!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:30 am quote
DaveLondon wrote:
T5bitsa69 wrote:
Do you know where these markets are in London - I'd love to go as budget is tight for me to.
Sorry mate I don't I've been to a few round Yorkshire. I usually phone me mate when I need something and he lets me know when they are on. He's a biker n says they advertise them in classic motorcycle mag (nip in whsmiths and have a thumb through)
BV 250
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:53 am quote
gear
JLB wrote:

You think he got the posterior tibial artery?
Ossessionato
Midnight Blue MP3 400
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:26 pm quote
Definitely jacket and boots after helmet and gloves. I also wear armored overpants. I fully got over thinking that this might be too much when I was t-boned by a car and every place I had armor took the hit instead of my knees, elbows, and shoulders.

Leather or 3/4 length waterproof textile jacket in the "winter" (I live in Southern California), and armored mesh the other 50 weeks of the year.

I recently got a pair of these Icon Super Duty 3 boots. Cost me $120.00
I like them a lot, and they're getting even better as they break in.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/10482/ITEM/Icon-Super-Duty-3-Boots.aspx

Icon_Super_Duty_3_Boots.jpg
Icon Super Duty 3 Boots

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS
Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:34 pm quote
Re: gear
hospdoc wrote:
JLB wrote:

I haven't watched enough episodes of House to comment on that.
Lurker

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:47 pm quote
There's always Corazzo
I would have to say the Helmet, gloves, and jacket are most important in my book. Almost 5 years ago I was hit by a Volvo while riding my Vespa Allstate. I was not wearing the best of gear, but was very lucky. I had a major concussion, some scrapes, bruises, and knee damage. I have since started riding with a full face helmet (instead of 3/4ths), Corazzo Gloves and Jacket, and I know I wouldn't have had near as many scrapes and cuts if i had been wearing their gear.

If you aren't familiar with Corazzo...
I have had two of their jackets, I first got the Hoody, which was great, but is now discontinued. I now ride with the 5.0, and let me tell you there is no better style, comfort, and protective gear made for scooterists then the gear these guys make.

Here is some info about them... (straight from their website) www.corazzo.net

Corazzo is proud to design and manufacture our garments and accessories in North America (California and Oregon and Canada), sourcing our raw materials from companies that manufacture in the US, whenever and wherever possible.

Corazzo uses the only the highest quality materials, like real Cordura~ fabric from DuPont, the best Scotchlite reflective material from 3M, YKK Zippers and armor from Knox, the world's leader in impact protection for two-wheeled riders.

And we back our products up without question. Our warranty is good for one year against manufacturer's defects. If you ever have a problem with your garment, please call us directly so that we can ensure you are taken care of promptly.

Corazzo also has a strong dealer network across Canada and the United States. For a list of dealers, please click here. New dealers are welcome to contact us for more information at sales@Corazzo.net.

Corazzo Contact Information
525 NE Davis St.
Portland, OR 97232
Ossessionato
ET2, PX150
Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:56 pm quote
JLB wrote:
hospdoc wrote:
JLB wrote:

Maybe it's Lupus.
Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS
Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:08 pm quote
nigelthefish wrote:
JLB wrote:
hospdoc wrote:
JLB wrote:

Maybe it's Lupus.
You and 13 run a scan of his rectal cavity and have Foreman wash my car.
Piaggio BV250
Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:36 am quote
gear
You can get great deals on closeouts on newenough.com
My first buys were a 3/4 HJC helmet ($80) and a pair of motocross gloves ($10)---I then purchased an armored mesh jacket with zip out lining. ($80)
I got timberland zip up boots on ebay for $20

Now I have purchased a leather with armor jacket for cooler weather ($60) and have a pair of proper leather motorcycle gloves on sale for $25-----

The deals are out there you just have to look...

Now I'd like to get a pair of overpants on the cheap...
Addicted
His - 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Hers - 2008 MP3 250
Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 am quote
L from Jersey wrote:

That's not entirely accurate. You can easily tangle your laces on the side stand.
Banned

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 am quote
keith_benedict wrote:
L from Jersey wrote:

That's not entirely accurate. You can easily tangle your laces on the side stand.
Hmmm, yes--you're right

I didn't think of that because I don't have a side stand
(I've never come close to having problems with the centerstand, though)
Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...
Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:59 am quote
JLB wrote:
Positive Karma for you!
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:36 am quote
robotribe wrote:
JLB wrote:
Positive Karma for you!
I think he got it backwards: Have Foreman run a scan of his rectal cavity and have 13 wash my car.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3323s ][ Queries: 32 (0.1665s) ][ Debug on ]