Steering "notch"
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123456Next
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:58 am quote
Just the lower of the rings at the top of each steering tube - the upper ring is to lock that in place. The central 'handle-bar' ones don't need to be touched.
Molto Verboso
She's an I-talian $$-burning machine
Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:46 am quote
I've got the "notch", and it's BAD!
My '08 500 is at 27,000+miles, and the "notch" feels pretty serious at every turn.
Sometimes I feel like I ain't riding a MP3; but a dumb trike (going straight).
Ordered the steering bearing set from eBay UK months ago; but still haven't attempted to fix it yet.
I'm worried that the miles from my daily commute will only make things worse:/

Is there a link to a PICTORIAL step-by-step DIY fix? Lemme know please, and thanks!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 am quote
Re: I've got the "notch", and it's BAD!
sushiman007 wrote:
My '08 500 is at 27,000+miles, and the "notch" feels pretty serious at every turn.
Sometimes I feel like I ain't riding a MP3; but a dumb trike (going straight).
Ordered the steering bearing set from eBay UK months ago; but still haven't attempted to fix it yet.
I'm worried that the miles from my daily commute will only make things worse:/

Is there a link to a PICTORIAL step-by-step DIY fix? Lemme know please, and thanks!
Two words: "Gonzo Tweak" Quick. Easy. Free. As good as new bearings. 20,000+ miles since I did mine.

Also use grease fittings to help them last.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:50 am quote
+1
Did the Gonzo tweak on my 500. Quick, easy, and amazing compared with my experience at the beginning of this thread.
Molto Verboso
She's an I-talian $$-burning machine
Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:07 pm quote
Got a "Gonzo Tweak" video?
Lurker
mp3 400 ie
Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:21 pm quote
piaggio doom gloom
a total load of s"$!%^
Lurker
MP400
Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 am quote
Hello Gonzo and Modern Vespa community,
First of all Thanks again for the Gonzo tweak and the huge knowledge base You share in this forum.

Word to the admins: sorry I made double posting; I do not intend to overload forum, I just discovered after sending initial message that present topic makes more sens for my post.

I am located in France and own a MP3 400 RL 2008 with 21000km on the clock.
I just bought the bike and repair history was quite thin, but I like risk .
(I am kidding, price was very attractive, after negociation and I was planning for bearing replacement anyhow considering mileage)

I have applied Gonzo method to check whether I could delay replacement.

Once I removed all the covers I discovered that nuts fixing the lateral steering bars have already been marked by punching, indicating that previous owner had done some intervention on the bearings. I do not know witch kind and will never know.

I applied the tweak as described + full grease pumping and after 2 days notch came back.
My assumption is that previous owner already applied same method and by shifting roler cage once again I suceeded to come back to very first notch position.
I am still surprised that I could hit same spot as nutch is well centered again.
But if previous owner applied exactly same method as I did (Gonzo one) it could be possible in theory.

I killed the other assumption of roller cage shifting back becouse if this could occure in real life, there would never be a notch.
Still I will check by lowering bearings again if their position have shifted or not.
As I clamped stearing to the angular stop for each side when adjusting bearing position, I should be able to recover same position as the one I adjusted when opening it again.

There was another possible cause for having nutch despite applying Gonzo tweak: centrale steering bearings have the nucth.
=> I did not twist those, only released torque and applying grease and tightened back again.

I have difficulty to believe they are the cause as related number of cases in all forums I reviewed is so low, I can not believe my bike is suffering from this issue.

here after my questions:
- would Yo have other idea I overlooked of what happened?
- what is lifetime of Gonzo tweak once applied on nucth affected bearing?
- I see that Gonzo has finally replaced bearings : what was milage perfomed between Gonzo fix and total replacement?

Thanks for Your great forum,
Avanti76.
Lurker
MP400
Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:44 pm quote
Hello me again and my notch issue.
I might have to admit that I called for help to early .
This was due to frustration I felt when facing notch again after applying the tweak.

Back home tonight I took of covers again and checked bearing on right hand side.
Why RH first? Becouse I remember having had some difficulties to adjust them: in fact bearing was difficult to move.

I checked position and they did not change compared to how I left them when reassembling everything, steering blocked against stopper and white markings aligned.

I tried to move them and found again they are difficult to shift.
Reason for that was weight of colomn I had to lift to align shaft and tube.
Also I had difficulties to flush away old grease I suspect to have hardened in some extend. This might have reduced mobility of roller cage. I had to push grease throuhg again while bearings open to eliminate old grease, brownish colour.

At this stage I realised that when I did this side I was disturbed several times by my kids (I have 3, 6 to 3 years old) : maybe did I finally not shift it properly as it was stuck in place.
Sounds crazy (not very serious I admit) but finally I gave it a try and shifted this one following procedure.

Reassembled and drove same way as in the morning which was enough to highlight notch again: result nothing to notice!

I just wanted to tell the community that issue I had was maybe not real, and would like to avoid useless discussion.
We better spend good discussion on real problem instead of trying to fix a problem which isn't one.

Sorry for potential confusion and I will give You feedback after longer trial.

Avanti76
Hooked
MP3 400
Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 pm quote
Re: Setting the steering bearings....10 minutes
jimc wrote:
elementalist wrote:
onsiteaudio wrote:
jimc wrote:
All I can add is that UK dealers who have any soul at all re-set the steering bearings at PDI. Saves tons of grief for customers and the dealer. It only takes 5 minutes per side......
Jim,

By any small chance are there instructions (with pictures? ) on how to address this ten minute job anywhere on the web?

Any links or additional instructions you can provide here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time.

chris
I would imagine it's only 10 minutes if you already have all the front panels off...
Exactly so.

Disconnect the steering link-bar.
For each side, slacken the bearings right off (do not remove completely).
Grease up the lower bearing as much as possible from the outside.
Do up the lower locking ring 'hand-tight'.
Back it off by 100-110 degrees (90 is not enough).
Tighten up the upper ring.
Check for no lateral play, if so tighten lower then upper rings by 5 degrees at a time.
Done.

The above can be done with a drift, no need for the special tools, and should allow the bearings to last far longer than they would as delivered. However if they were overtightened at the factory some brinelling may have aleady have taken place.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a drift?
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:31 pm quote
drift = drift punch in merkin

Hooked
MP3 400
Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
drift = drift punch in merkin

Simple enough thanks
mp3 400
Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 am quote
jimc wrote:
elementalist wrote:
onsiteaudio wrote:
jimc wrote:
All I can add is that UK dealers who have any soul at all re-set the steering bearings at PDI. Saves tons of grief for customers and the dealer. It only takes 5 minutes per side......
Jim,

By any small chance are there instructions (with pictures? ) on how to address this ten minute job anywhere on the web?

Any links or additional instructions you can provide here would be greatly appreciated.

chris
I would imagine it's only 10 minutes if you already have all the front panels off...
Exactly so.

Check for no lateral play, if so tighten lower then upper rings by 5 degrees at a time.
Done.

The above can be done with a drift, no need for the special tools, and should allow the bearings to last far longer than they would as delivered. However if they were overtightened at the factory some brinelling may have aleady have taken place.
do I need to lift the front up so the wheels are up in the air ? or, the bike need to park normal front on ground ?
thaxx for all your help & info,
Moderaptor
Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 am quote
Yes, jack up the frame so the front wheels are off the ground with tilt-lock off.
mp3 400
Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Yes, jack up the frame so the front wheels are off the ground with tilt-lock off.
yes it make sence,
thaxx
mp3 400
Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:56 am quote
amasing what a bit of grease can do

I injected grease thru the bolts into the botom & top bearings & took it for a drive,,,the steering is lighter by far, felt like Im riding a new bike, I use to have a bit of havvy steering terning a corner ,thats gone ,yep amasing !!!!

I need to find out a way to lift the front end so I can test & adjust the loking nuts on the bearing.
any idea guys ? mabe some photos of the mp3 front end jecked up ??
mp3 400
Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:59 am quote
esamo wrote:
I need to find out a way to lift the front end so I can test & adjust the loking nuts on the bearing.
any idea guys ? mabe some photos of the mp3 front end jecked up ??
OOPS ,,,,
didnt realise all can be done by locking up one side at the time,
no need to lift it from the frame ,thats after reading the GONZO TWEAK

will go on it next week
thaxx all for sharing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 am quote
esamo wrote:
OOPS ,,,,
didnt realise all can be done by locking up one side at the time,
no need to lift it from the frame ,thats after reading the GONZO TWEAK

will go on it next week
thaxx all for sharing.
Make sure you some how strap the opposite site down or hang some weight off the bar on the opposite that is off the ground, so the bike doesn't get off balance and fall over while you are working on it.
Lurker
MP400
Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:45 am quote
Hello team,
I just wanted to report back results after 1 week driving.

=> everything is fine, no notch anymore and smooth steering.

Sorry for my initial report where I gave poor results as I massed up in implementing the Gonzo procedure.

My learning:
- my notch was on the RH bearing
- greasing alone does not remove notch (maybe obvious , but felt interesting to repeat).
- never do maintenance with kids around (I knew this one, but need to remind myself too often).

Thanks again to all of You and specially to Gonzo.

Next step: is 16g Dr. Pulley + 1mm fuzzy washer and new belt of course.

Avanti76
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 pm quote
Ok I know I am late to the party but I use my MP3 as a delivery and tow vehicle (I used to tow for the dealer's service reservations) and I recently hit the 20,000 mile mark!

So lets talk "steering notch" I had my first notch @ 13,756 (how do I know the mileage? I use gas buddy to track the mpg on all my vehicles as well as ALL service) and because
Some idiot driver backed into my parked MP3 with trailer knocking over the bike causing $3000! In damage to my dash/Tupperware/bearings. Funny how when I was aware of the notch a bad driver hits my bike!!

So lets talk the 2nd notch!!! It happened right @ 20,006 miles!!! 6,250 miles after having my bearings replaced! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!!! You ask? Turns out that one day as I am ridding with x2 of my scooters on the trailer another dumb ass driver panics when they see a cop @ the light the slam on their brake with a friggin YELLOW LIGHT!!

The MP3 with a trailer and x2 lx50's on the back stops on a DIME! Except the inertia of the trailer moving forward pushes the MP3's rear end around forcing me to dump the MP3....

I KNOW, I KNOW!!! It gets better...

Almost a 10 months later not thinking anything was wrong (I only had a small scratch on the Tupperware when dumping the bike) I didn't have the bike checked cause it felt fine. When I take it in for service my 20K mile service my dealer says "I got bad news for you!" Yep you guessed it my 2nd bearing change in less than 7,000 miles. But boy it gets even better. My insurance company won't pay the $2,300-$2,500 bill!!!

$1,000 for my tuneup and the balance are my 2nd bearing change. I just emailed my dealer this link and asked him to check their work to make sure there was "no over tightening!"

So for those who want to know the score card for an MP3-500 with 20,000 + miles here you go:

All totals are up to date since ownership in Oct-09'

Gas=$2,249
Service (not including this last service cause I have not paid the final bill yet)=$2,865

So I have had the MP3-500 for 40 months for a monthly cost of $128 per month. I would be curious as to the monthly cost of ownership from other 500 owners who use their bike as daily commute. My use is extreme because I use the bike as my work vehicle as well, which is why I have 20,000 miles in 40 months!!!

Btw early on in the thread someone commented that an mp3 was being used as a "delivery bike"

"One case was for an MP3 used in a delivery service with 18K on it and the bearings were not properly adjusted during the previous 6K service interval."

Lol, that's me!! Piaggio's engineers were not happy when the service manager called asking if this was even possible, it made sense to me and I have never looked back!!!
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 pm quote
Wait its been a while!! I didn't even know you could load pictures from the iPhone!!!! I am so all over this forum now! Lol here is a picture of my MP3 @ work, no slackers in my garage! 👍

image.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:03 am quote
sounds like the dealer did not install the new bearings correctly. Bearings do require periodic greasing as well.
Enthusiast
MP3 500
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
sounds like the dealer did not install the new bearings correctly. Bearings do require periodic greasing as well.
Now they tell me...lol new chk list item
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:32 am quote
GrowVerde wrote:
As has been posted on this thread and in the wikis - there are Piaggio tech notes to their dealers on both the proper torquing of the steering bearings and the recommended lubrication procedure. Sounds like your dealer is not exactly up to speed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 am quote
GrowVerde wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
well if you would have been paying attention here on the forum you would have known that a year ago and that some folks have had a solution for almost 2 years now.

The "new" bearing adjustment setting has been out for OVER 2 years.
Mp3 300
Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:38 am quote
Newbie here. Riding 2011 mp3 300ie LT. My question is this: Since the start of this discussion, have Piaggio ironed out the "Notch" problem, or is it worth me buying the grease nipple bolt and doing some preventative maintenance? I have no notchyness yet, but neither do I want any...

Any suggestions gratefully received
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:08 am quote
BritPirate wrote:
Newbie here. Riding 2011 mp3 300ie LT. My question is this: Since the start of this discussion, have Piaggio ironed out the "Notch" problem, or is it worth me buying the grease nipple bolt and doing some preventative maintenance? I have no notchyness yet, but neither do I want any...

Piaggio put out the service bulletin making the tool available.
They have not done any design change that I am aware of.
Get the Tool..

Keith
Marietta, GA
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:50 am quote
BritPirate wrote:

and you should not have any notch. this issue primarily affect the first model years, 07,08 and some 09. since then they redid the way they set and torque the steering tubes and lube them from the factory.
Mp3 300
Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:25 am quote
I thank you Klaborde, but I really want to believe you Old-as-dirt! I'll wait a little and see what progresses.....

Cheers!
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 LT 500 Sport
Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:17 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
BritPirate wrote:

and you should not have any notch. this issue primarily affect the first model years, 07,08 and some 09. since then they redid the way they set and torque the steering tubes and lube them from the factory.
Just to keep the thread alive:
I have a 2012 MP3 LT 500 Sport. Over the last couple of weeks I started to become really aware that something wasn't right with the scooter; especially at slower speeds (filtering) the bike would want to track in a straight line. It got so bad, so quickly, that I had to be quite physical to knock it off the straight-ahead position.
I took it to my supplying dealer - Scootech in Roman Road, East London - and they immediately identified the bearing notch problem. IT IS STILL AN ACTIVE ISSUE.
My MP3 has covered 7100 miles and has been serviced on schedule. Scootech were brilliant. They had the bearings replaced under warranty the next day. They said they do this repair often but that they have never had one fail again after replacing (phew) - it's about a 500 job apparently.
The scooter was a different bike afterwards; not just different from having the notch issue cured, it actually rides better than when new! The steering is so light, the bike is flickable now. It seems to make sense that they tighten the bearings to a lower torque setting and grease it heavily - that's my conclusion from what others have said, not Scootech's comments.
I have uploaded a video to my YouTube account (all my videos are MP3 blogs) about the notch problem, but be aware, there is bad language in there:
Hooked
2012 MP3 500cc LT
Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:58 am quote
Motortriker wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
BritPirate wrote:

I have a 2012 MP3 LT 500 Sport. Over the last couple of weeks I started to become really aware that something wasn't right with the scooter; especially at slower speeds (filtering) the bike would want to track in a straight line. It got so bad, so quickly, that I had to be quite physical to knock it off the straight-ahead position.
I took it to my supplying dealer - Scootech in Roman Road, East London - and they immediately identified the bearing notch problem. IT IS STILL AN ACTIVE ISSUE.
My MP3 has covered 7100 miles and has been serviced on schedule. Scootech were brilliant. They had the bearings replaced under warranty the next day. They said they do this repair often but that they have never had one fail again after replacing (phew) - it's about a 500 job apparently.
The scooter was a different bike afterwards; not just different from having the notch issue cured, it actually rides better than when new! The steering is so light, the bike is flickable now. It seems to make sense that they tighten the bearings to a lower torque setting and grease it heavily - that's my conclusion from what others have said, not Scootech's comments.
I have uploaded a video to my YouTube account (all my videos are MP3 blogs) about the notch problem, but be aware, there is bad language in there:
I have the same machine, same year. Mine will be out of the 2 year warranty befoore I reach even 7000 miles.

Is this `potential` problem something I should be trying to get looked at under warranty over the next few months?

Thanks
Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:10 am quote
Estaban wrote:
Motortriker wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
BritPirate wrote:

I have the same machine, same year. Mine will be out of the 2 year warranty befoore I reach even 7000 miles.

Is this `potential` problem something I should be trying to get looked at under warranty over the next few months?

Thanks
A year ago I took my new 400 MP3 to the dealer I bought it from to have them adjust the front steering bearings before I experienced the notch while my MP3 was under warranty. That dealer was 700 miles from my home and I was in the middle of a longer trip. After I got there I was told for them to do the fix under warranty they 1st had to have the OK from Piaggio. They had done the fix on a 500 MP3 and told me how much $ it would cost me to do it now. I said go ahead and do it now. Apparently it's a lot less time consuming doing it on a 500 than a 400/250. Since they had already told me a 500 cost estimate that's all they charged me to do my 400 but it took them a lot longer to do the fix! So in a way I got a good deal on the notch fix. But after that episode I did the fix myself on my 250 compliments of Gonzo here.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:51 pm quote
BritPirate wrote:
I'll wait a little and see what progresses.....
Ah, you are saying you will wait and see if you have a steering bearing failure. I have a better idea. Lube the steering bearings and check the torque (loading) on the bearings. The point of preventative maintenance is to avoid failures as much as possible.
Piaggio, Yamaha
Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:49 pm quote
My 'new to me, mp3 250 has the notch. It there a kit that has all the known parts?
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:42 pm quote
There is "Gonzo tweak" - you do NOT need any parts to do it.
Replacement bearings (sets or single parts) could be find on www.easyparts.nl (catalog with pictures), but again: with first notch go with 'Gonzo tweak'.
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 LT 500 Sport
Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:45 am quote
[quote="Estaban"][quote="Motortriker"][quote="old as dirt"]
BritPirate wrote:

Thanks
I hope someone else jumps in if I'm talking nonsense but I would ask my dealer if they have serviced the bearings in accordance with the current instructions (below). If so, AND the bearings show no signs of wear then I assume you're fine.
Again, if anyone thinks differently then feel free to jump in.
http://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/useful%20info/Steering%20Bearing%20Adjustment%202010.pdf
Piaggio, Yamaha
Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:18 pm quote
Did the gonzo tweak yesterday. Was simple and at first ride it seemed to make a huge difference! Thank you for the simple fix.

How much does replacing these bearings cost at the dealer?
Mp3 300
Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:27 am quote
To Motortricker, Estaban, Dooglas etc. above:

Thanks very much for the Heads up guys! Really appreciate it. I was waiting for the thread to develop; not the Notch. Now I know!!

Will have to order some grease bolts and get to work.

Biggin' up all you fellow winter riders. Stay safe all.
Hooked
MP3 500
Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 am quote
jimc wrote:
elementalist wrote:
onsiteaudio wrote:
jimc wrote:
Jim,

chris
Exactly so.

Done.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to verify my new to me '09 MP3 500 has the bearings set correctly. It's only got 800 miles on it and shows no signs of "the notch" yet. I will get the grease bolt to service the bearings. Is it pretty intuitive do do based on jimc's description above? Anybody have pix or a video to help a new guy with a little trepidation?
Moderaptor
Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:50 am quote
I wrote that before Piaggio acknowledged the problem and provided the corrected adjustment and greasing service bulletin. Just getting loads of grease in there with the aid of the grease bolt should help enormously.
Hooked

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 pm quote
oh no the notch . Brings back memories of my 2011 cat fight with piaggio.

what a safety defect ! Wish Piaggio was like Toyota
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123456Next
[ Time: 0.3740s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1055s) ][ Debug on ]