Steering "notch"
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123456
Mp3 300
Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 am quote
Got round to doing the greasing as beautifully described by "xrayrider" in page 3 (thanks for the pics). Drove her up onto an upturned Guinness crate in lieu of a proper ramp! No matter : the access was great.
Used at least half the 400ml cartridge on the tubes with both the top bearings needing the most "pumps".
The change on my way to work today was a revelation. She tips-in much more eagerly now, feels really silky smooth, changing direction really sharply.
So a big thanks to all for the thread, I had no sign of the notch at 6000miles (10kms), but still think everyone should consider this easy bit of maintenance.

By the way, I used ZX1 lithium based Grease. I also always add their micro oil to anything I own with an engine: it's brilliant. Site below if you're interested:

http://www.team-zx1.com/

Safe riding
Hooked

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:19 am quote
I know this topic has been neat to death but...

After having the bearings torqued properly what is the interval after that for re-torquing?
Vespa
Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 am quote
Chiaroscuro wrote:

After having the bearings torqued properly what is the interval after that for re-torquing?
I just got off the phone with the Department Director. A customer called with the same questions and issue as listed in this thread.

The interval from first torque is 6 months!
Hooked

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am quote
MotoriniGA wrote:
Chiaroscuro wrote:

I just got off the phone with the Department Director. A customer called with the same questions and issue as listed in this thread.

Wonder what the mileage would be? Every 6k?
Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 am quote
Chiaroscuro wrote:
MotoriniGA wrote:
Chiaroscuro wrote:

Hockeypuck. If you torqued it right this time leave it alone unless you have grease leaking out on the bottom race. If that happens, the bearings are a little too loose and retorque. I've ridden thousand of miles on my 400 MP3 since they were adjusted and no more worries.
Vespa
Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:33 am quote
^ I'm sure you shouuuuuld be fine. Vespa recommends a re-torque (I'm waiting on all the information so I can post here for you guys)... If you risk it and get the notching, its then too late and youll have to get new bearings

Better safe than sorry
Hooked

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:33 am quote
norCal Randy wrote:
Chiaroscuro wrote:
MotoriniGA wrote:
Chiaroscuro wrote:

Hockeypuck. If you torqued it right this time leave it alone unless you have grease leaking out on the bottom race. If that happens, the bearings are a little too loose and retorque. I've ridden thousand of miles on my 400 MP3 since they were adjusted and no more worries. :D
I had them re-torqued after a rebuild at 600 miles. Hopefully this issue is behind me. Heading back to Alaska in a few weeks.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500LT
Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 am quote
I've just passed the 14000 mile mark on my 2012 MP3 500.

No sign of the steering notch as yet. Am I just lucky that the bearings may have been greased up properly thus avoiding this issue?

On the downside I am on my 3rd rear tyre and my second set of fronts.

I have also changed the front, rear and parking brake pads.
Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 am quote
Decided to grease both the top and bottom bearings on my new-to-me MP3 250. Looked at the pictures on page 3 on how to do it and took a gander at mine. Decided I could get to both bolts without needing a ramp, just need the right combo of breaker bar, extensions and socket.

I also didn't use the custom made bolt with zerk fitting. I have a grease gun with the flex hose on the end. I removed the nipple on the end (that fits the zerk fitting) of the hose and the remaining male threads just fit into the bolt hole. I was able to just hold it in place while I pumped the grease gun.

Took I'd say 30+ pumps on each bearing. Was easy to see when the bottom was full as the grease would come out around the bearing. On the top I would do about 10 pumps and stick my hand up where and feel around the bearing. No grease on my hand, do another 10 pumps. Once my hand came down with grease I figured it was full.

Would like to thank everyone here on MV for all the great info!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500LT
Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 am quote
Has anyone experienced this issue on mp3s manufactured after 2010?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon May 18, 2015 3:41 pm quote
prof1967 wrote:
Has anyone experienced this issue on mp3s manufactured after 2010?
not that I have heard. dealers were notified to do the checks at first 600 mile service and readjust at that time. Also during PDI when they sold the scoot.
Piaggio MP3 500 ABS ASR
Mon May 25, 2015 6:35 am quote
Hi chaps,

Sorry I'm I.n on this late but......... I have had 10 Piaggio/Vespa/Gilera scooters over the last 14 years and every single one of them have had the head bearings replaced at one stage and every time it has been done under warranty !

My MP3 goes in on Wednesday to have them replaced and this is just after 3.5
Thousand miles

My dealer even fits grease nipples to MP3 pre purchase but even this does not seem to be 100% successful

Cheers

Butties11
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 am quote
Butties11 wrote:
Hi chaps,

Sorry I'm I.n on this late but......... I have had 10 Piaggio/Vespa/Gilera scooters over the last 14 years and every single one of them have had the head bearings replaced at one stage and every time it has been done under warranty !

My MP3 goes in on Wednesday to have them replaced and this is just after 3.5
Thousand miles

My dealer even fits grease nipples to MP3 pre purchase but even this does not seem to be 100% successful

Cheers

Butties11
did they do the retorque settings prior to delivery when new. also this is to be done at the first service as well , 600 mile.
Piaggio MP3 500 ABS ASR
Mon May 25, 2015 11:58 am quote
Yeah I believe so, it just seems to be a weakness in the design, the Gilera nexus 500 I had had 4 lots in 18 months !

And my old MP3 had the 2 sets done but that had numerous issues p,head bearings being the least .

Oh I should mention that I use it most days and do 12k miles a year and the roads in Manchester(UK) are shocking !
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123456
[ Time: 0.2672s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0542s) ][ Debug on ]