Tranny Exposed - Clean and Grease Up?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Tue May 26, 2015 4:39 pm quote
I've exposed my tranny. Any recommendations of what I should clean up and grease before putting things back together?

Also, the pulley in the second image below is grooved. Is this normal or should I replace it?

Eric

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue May 26, 2015 6:36 pm quote
somewhat normal on the pull. the biggest thing is the bearing of the idler pull . does it spin freely? if not replace. you could take a piece of fine sandpaper and smooth it out if you want.

everything looks pretty clean to me. you could just wash it down with some spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner to get rid of the dust bits.
Addicted
MP3 500 - Black Sunshine
Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 pm quote
Re: Tranny Exposed - Clean and Grease Up?
ericreynolds wrote:
I've exposed my tranny. Any recommendations of what I should clean up and grease before putting things back together?

Also, the pulley in the second image below is grooved. Is this normal or should I replace it?

Eric
It's a wet gear box, right? So fill it up with 90 weight?

Looks nice and clean!
Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
Tue May 26, 2015 8:37 pm quote
Re: Tranny Exposed - Clean and Grease Up?
Shanghai Dan wrote:
ericreynolds wrote:

Eric
It's a wet gear box, right? So fill it up with 90 weight?

Looks nice and clean!
Is that remark supposed to be a bad joke?
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Tue May 26, 2015 8:39 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
somewhat normal on the pull. the biggest thing is the bearing of the idler pull . does it spin freely? if not replace. you could take a piece of fine sandpaper and smooth it out if you want.

everything looks pretty clean to me. you could just wash it down with some spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner to get rid of the dust bits.
Thanks OAD. The bearing is smooth. Pardon my ignorance, is brake cleaner fluid a degreaser?
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 pm quote
Which areas should I not lubricate?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue May 26, 2015 11:54 pm quote
None of it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed May 27, 2015 2:57 am quote
ericreynolds wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

Thanks OAD. The bearing is smooth. Pardon my ignorance, is brake cleaner fluid a degreaser?
yes , you can find it at most stores that sell auto stuff, dollar general, auto parts stores, walmart, ace hardware, ect, etc.
it cleans nicely and doesn't strip paint. non-chlorinated.
its a must have for when doing new brake pads. cleans the disc's and pads after they are installed to remove any oils and grease prior to riding.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1566s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0474s) ][ Debug on ]