Brake pads
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
mp3 250 2007

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:10 pm quote
I ride an mp3 250 and i was hoping those of you that have already done so can help me in picking out the correct replacement pads for the front AND back brakes.

Also and instruction on how to change em out would be great!!! tHANKS ALL!!!
Banned

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:22 pm quote
That's easy. Go to dealer and tell them you need front pads for an Piaggio MP3 250 or go to ScooterTrap.com and get the EBC pads. I would recommend the OEM pads. Those are your only choices.

Wayne B
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:26 pm quote
The Piaggio provided pads here are EBC HH Gold sintered ones. And at a good price.
Banned

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:26 pm quote
Thanks, good to know.

Wayne B
Hooked
mp3 250 2007

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:07 pm quote
has anyone done a write up on how to replace the front pads?

I have a question to ask: If i am experiencing very low breaking pressure when i am using the front hand break, it is the result of low pads right?

THANKS ALL!
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 pm quote
805g wrote:
has anyone done a write up on how to replace the front pads?
Service manual here: http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/Piaggio%20MP3/MP3%20250/
805g wrote:
If i am experiencing very low breaking pressure when i am using the front hand break, it is the result of low pads right?
More likely air in the line or a faulty caliper. Pads should work fine right up to the end.

Last edited by ramblerdan on Sat May 01, 2010 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
mp3 250 2007

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:32 pm quote
i think it may just be...the end.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:40 pm quote
how many miles do you have on the scoot?
Moderaptor
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:40 pm quote
Possibly - but it is very easy to see if the pads are worn. There are two ways. One is to get down far enough to look along each brake disc (rotor) in line with the calipers and eye-ball how much pad thickness is left. Less than 2mm and it's time to change. The second way requires that you can add up visual distances in your head - look at the top of the calipers at the gap between the pad backing plates. This should be 4mm more than the thickness of the disc itself. If one side is more worn than the other, the system might need bleeding, but this is not normally necessary.

To change them both at the same time you will need a suitable lift or a couple of bottle-jacks. They can be changed just one at a time with one bottle jack, but I don't recommend this.

Tilt-lock on, bike on centre-stand.
Break the five screws on each wheel from being 'tight'.
Put a bottle jack each side of the fuel tank against the frame tubes, and being carefull not to pinch the coolant hose on the LHS, jack up each side a bit at a time until the wheels are off the ground.
Remove both wheels.
Remove the circlips from the retaining pins with long-nosed pliers.
Tap each pin flush with each caliper (not through it yet)
Remove the screws holding the calipers in place on the suspension.
Using a blunt screwdriver against the old pads, drive each piston fully back into the caliper. On older machines this may be hard and you may have to clean the pistons up. another subject.
For each caliper, now pull the retaining pin out, making sure you catch the pressure springs. Clean up the pin, add a thin smear of coppa-slip to it.
Remove the old pads.
The new pads may come with anti-squeal plates. If so fine (but note direction of rotation marked with an arrow), if not the backs of each pad should be smeared with coppa-slip.
For each side, insert the new pads, push the retaining pin most of the way through to stop them falling out.
Re-attach the calipers to the suspensions.
Holding the pads in place with one hand from underneath the caliper, take out the retaining pin far enough to re-insert the pressure spring and re-seat the retaining pin. This can be a bit tricky until you've done it a few times.
Tap the pins fully home, re-attach circlips.
Refit wheels.
Lower jacks
Nip up the wheel screws.
Now give each brake lever a few slow squeezes until they both go firm.
Test ride.
Job done.
Banned

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:10 pm quote
Good time to bleed the brakes too.

Wayne B
Moderaptor
Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 pm quote
I do that every couple of years. I change front pads at about 10,000 miles, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. That's two sets and a bit a year. I'm not bleeding the brakes every five or six months, no point.
Hooked
mp3 250 2007

Sat May 02, 2009 8:30 pm quote
so i don't believe it is my pads that are worn.

I looked at the front brakes and it looks like on one side there was a leak of some fluid. Not sure where it would/did come from.

Should i bleed my brakes and replace the braking fluid?

THANKS ALL
Banned

Sun May 03, 2009 8:57 am quote
There was fluid on the brake caliper?
Check the brake line connection at the caliper to make sure it is tight. Only other places it could be coming from are the seals between the two calipers half's or piston seals. Seems way to low a mileage or time for either one of those. But anything can fail at any time.

You can spray it down with brake clean to make it easier to find the fresh fluid.
Don't get the brake clean on plastic or painter parts.

Wayne B
Hooked
Honda CTX700N
Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:04 am quote
jimc wrote:
The second way requires that you can add up visual distances in your head - look at the top of the calipers at the gap between the pad backing plates. This should be 4mm more than the thickness of the disc itself.

I need to check my front pads today. Doing a search, I came across this thread.

Jim, do you know how many mm thick the disc is ? Or better yet, what is a "safe" total distance (in mm) between the two backing plates. Thanks!

Just got a new digital vernier caliper...

dk
Banned

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:39 am quote
You have all you need to measure then.

Measure the caliper, then measure then space between pad backing plates and subtract caliper thickness.

Wayne B
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:32 pm quote
1.5mm is the min per the service manual. brake sys page 10
Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:09 pm quote
I'm told, but haven't tried it yet, that if you lean the scoot and lock the tilt mechanism, push it upright and stick it up on the stand, a front wheel lifts off the ground. Hmmmm..........
fay
Addicted
MP3 500, Buddy 125
Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am quote
Fay Presto wrote:
I'm told, but haven't tried it yet, that if you lean the scoot and lock the tilt mechanism, push it upright and stick it up on the stand, a front wheel lifts off the ground. Hmmmm..........
fay
I've done this but only for a quick check of something. It's very unstable and dangerous. You will be applying significant torque to the bike as you tighten and torque screws.

I used my car jack to prop up the side of the bike I was working on when I changed my brakes. The procedure is VERY easy. I would recommend everyone change their front pads themselves. Takes an hour tops.
Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:29 pm quote
Didn't try the tilt lock method, but did reline the front brakes using only the tools I routinely carry in my purse........ and a bottle jack.

forty minutes tops.

My first Mp3 had dodgy front discs and I was lucky to get 1000 miles out of a set of pads and he was charging 80 for the Job.

The new scoot, same rider, same traffic, 3000 miles easy. Go figure.

Fay
Moderaptor
Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:51 pm quote
Going back to that original problem - as all clueful dealers in the UK were already aware of the faulty disc problem (they'd had it proven in France) - how come you got stuck with a clueless dealer? I hope you got some of the money back - it became a warranty issue (new discs and pads) before the MP3 was ever introduced to the UK.
Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 am quote
He didn't get to sell me the replacement scoot.

Having been trading since 1952, he is very good with the classics, but the Mp3 is a step to far for him. Neither could I stand the major family rows that were often going on when one was in there.

Put it down to experience and got on with a life.
Banned

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 am quote
I was amazed how easy the front MP3 brakes are to replace. Push pads away from rotors, pull pins and little metal clip thing, take pads out from the top of the caliper, slide new pads in and install pins and little metal clip thing, done. About 5 min. a side.

Never had a vehicle I didn't have to pull the calipers to install pads. Took longer to take the wheel off and put it back on than it did to do the brakes.

Wayne B
Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 am quote
Wayne B wrote:
I was amazed how easy the front MP3 brakes are to replace. Push pads away from rotors, pull pins and little metal clip thing, take pads out from the top of the caliper, slide new pads in and install pins and little metal clip thing, done. About 5 min. a side.

Never had a vehicle I didn't have to pull the calipers to install pads. Took longer to take the wheel off and put it back on than it did to do the brakes.

Wayne B
+1
Enthusiast
MP3-250, GTS-250
Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 am quote
SUPER-EASY way to get front up and very stable, without jacks: Get a concrete block, nominal 6" x 8" x 16", actual 3/8" less in each dimension so it's 5-5/8" high. (Home Depot has many versions, ranging from 85 cents to a dollar and a half.) Also secure a piece of 2x4 about 11" long, and a cheerful helper (you can't do this alone.)

Place scooter on center stand on hard level ground, suspension locked, parking brake on, wheels straight ahead. Loosen the ten wheel screws with long 6mm Allen wrench. Put concrete block flat under scooter, centered between front wheels. Pull scooter over slightly until one wheel is off ground; helper inserts 2x4 on concrete block at angle, with one end under suspension strut aft of wheel. From other side, pull scooter back over until other wheel is off ground; helper swings 2x4 until its other end is under other suspension strut. Ease scooter back to vertical. Both wheels will be about half an inch (or less) off the ground, with the scooter absolutely stable on four solid supports.

I shuddered at the photo of the scooter resting on the brake disks, and hate the idea of using a jack in the center because the scooter isn't nearly as stable as when it's supported on both sides.

Now does anyone have detailed advice on where to bleed the front brakes? (My downloaded copy of shop manual has only 4 pages on the brakes; the rest is missing.)
Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am quote
Try it this way, Solo and I think Oh so Cool!

http://picasaweb.google.com/117703263137308468511/MyMovies?authkey=Gv1sRgCMPd4dqwg9a38QE#5508808780408294546

Enjoy

Fay
Enthusiast
MP3-250, GTS-250
Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 am quote
Missing covers over top of brake pads?
The MP2-250 shop manual (Brake Sys P. 4) shows a snap-on protective cover over the top of the front brake-pad chamber, to keep out water and dirt, but the local dealer (whom we trust) says even new MP3's don't have them and they don't appear in his parts list for ordering. Can anyone comment on these covers, and perhaps tell us where we might get a pair?

BTW, I just changed the pads at 13,000 miles. One side was down to about 1mm, the other somewhat less. Sure didn't waste any pad life there! (They were still stopping perfectly, but I should have done it sooner.)

Last edited by Inchworm505 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Banned
MP3 500
Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 am quote
There are no covers. There are clips that keep pressure pads from rattling that may look like a cover in the picture.
Enthusiast
MP3-250, GTS-250
Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:38 pm quote
StooterBoy wrote:
There are no covers. There are clips that keep pressure pads from rattling that may look like a cover in the picture.
No, there ARE (or were) covers. They're described in the manual as "upper closing caps," with a sentence describing (and a photograph showing) prying them off with a screwdriver prior to removing the circlip, pin, spring clip and brake pads. Apparently Piaggio has decided that we fair-weather riders may not need them, since they don't seem to come on new MP3's -- at least those sent to Southern California.

Last edited by Inchworm505 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 pm quote
Inchworm505 wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
No, there ARE (or were) covers. They're described in the manual as "upper closing caps," with a sentence describing (and a photograph showing) them being pried off with a screwdriver prior to removing the circlip, pins, spring clips and brake pads. Apparently Piaggio has decided that we fair-weather riders may not need them, since they don't seem to come on new MP3's -- at least those sent to Southern California.
oh they opened all the crates and took out certain ones then boxed the crates back up.

Last edited by old as dirt on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moderaptor
Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm quote
Inchworm505 wrote:
No, there ARE (or were) covers.
In a pre-production model perhaps (when the manuals were written) - but never on any production models. Don't fuss it.
Hooked
Mp3 250 Lt
Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:02 am quote
I will describe the way i change pads.

I don't need anything to lift the bike, or anyone to hold it.

1. Lock the suspension without using the stand.
2. Use the allen tool, to loosen up the bolts in both wheels. WARNING DO NOT take the bolts off at this stage.
3. For this step you will need a solid and flat (2cm height) shelf. Go and put it under the left part of the stand, and apply the stand. Since the suspension remains locked, the left wheel must be on air!
4. Extract all the bolts, take off the wheel.
5. remove the safety circular thingy, which holds the caliper pin and the old brakepads in position.
6. Before removing the pads, use a flat screwdriver between the 2 pads and try to make some space for the new thicker ones to be installed.
7. Put the new set, trying not to touch the material of the brakepad that touches the discs. Our fingers contain fat and other things that can affect braking distance.
8. Put the big safety pin, the metallic thing that keeps both pads away from the disk when not braking and finally the safety circular thingie.
9. Put the wheel back and tighten the bolts. Don't overdo it.
10. Go to the other side and do exactly the same. Use the shelf under the right part of the stand and then the right wheel is on air.
11. When finished with both corners, pump the lever sometimes, so the pads take their normal position and you regain the normal feeling.

For the rear:
You need to take of the exhaust, if i remember well, 4 screws plus the big one in front. Then you unscrew the caliper and you act as above to replace the bads. No need to lift anything there. It's easier than described.

Keep in mind that you should avoit touching the brakepad material with your hands and that after succesfully installing them you need to pay attention for the first 30-40kms.

Time for the front brakes: 20 minutes (including wheel extraction).
Time for rear: 15 minutes.

If i managed to do it (i consider myself a rookie) then everybody else can do it also!!!
cheers
Banned
MP3 500
Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 am quote
Goldfish wrote:
5. remove the safety circular thingy, which holds the caliper pin and the old brakepads in position.
Those are called "Jesus" clips, because when it gooes flying across the room as you are taking it off or putting it on, you yell "JESUS"
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:34 pm quote
StooterBoy wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Those are called "Jesus" clips, because when it gooes flying across the room as you are taking it off or putting it on, you yell "JESUS"
and don't forget to have some new spares on hand cause once the "jesus" clips fly they are lost.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
and don't forget to have some new spares on hand cause once the "jesus" clips fly they are lost.
Just have OAD on standby. He can find one that got away. Don't ask me how I know.
2007 MP3 250
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:52 pm quote
New to the MP3 scooter. Just got an used 2007 250 cc model. I am not able to manually roll the scooter. I put the scooter in center stand, and I am not able to spin the rear wheel. Other forum says the frozen brake cable might be the problem. I am able to pull/push the hand parking lever, and the hand brake cable opens/closes. However, the brake pads are still attached to the rear disc. I adjusted the brake cable and nothing happened. Does anyone knows how to release the hand brake pads from the disc? Will it solves the problem if I removed hand brake caliper? Thanks.
Moderaptor
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:17 pm quote
Scooter Jr. wrote:
New to the MP3 scooter. Just got an used 2007 250 cc model. I am not able to manually roll the scooter. I put the scooter in center stand, and I am not able to spin the rear wheel. Other forum says the frozen brake cable might be the problem. I am able to pull/push the hand parking lever, and the hand brake cable opens/closes. However, the brake pads are still attached to the rear disc. I adjusted the brake cable and nothing happened. Does anyone knows how to release the hand brake pads from the disc? Will it solves the problem if I removed hand brake caliper? Thanks.
You have been given the correct answer in your other thread, here:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/post2286966#2286966
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.3599s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0428s) ][ Debug on ]