OP
UTC

Hooked
1974 Rally 200, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2010 Honda SH150i

Hooked
UTC quote
alright, so for whatever reason, that little elbow joint is not made from something sturdy like iron. it's some crappy pot metal. and it vibrated cracked this week about 4 months after i replaced it, since the previous one was also busted when i got the bike. so my choices are replace it again, maybe slather it with jb weld at the outset and cross my fingers, or replace the whole exhaust. it's got the sito pipe on there, et3 style, and i like it. oopsclunkthud says polini and leo vinci pipes dispense with that elbow joint. i had a leo vinci before, but what about the polini? impressions? anyone sell those elbow joints made from something respectable like actual metal?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
the polini and leo are pretty much the same piece-- some say that the polini makes more power, though.

at any rate, they both dispense with the elbow joint and are a full metal header pipe.

be sure to file the flange flat and use a good quality gasket with some copper rtv seal when you put it all back together.

oh, and you may need to fiddle around with the mount at the swingarm bolt to make it fit all properly-- double check that the pipe is not rubbing on the top of the tire!

best,
-greasy
@firej avatar
UTC

Hooked
over 60 scooter spanning 75 years

Hooked
@firej avatar
UTC quote
its not Pot metal its cast aluminum go get it welded thicker or take it to your local machine shop and see if he will make you one out of some steel for a cheap price say $30 bucks

I have welded about 5 or 6 of them and never had a problem I know some others have too must of been some bad casts back then
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
FireJ wrote:
its not Pot metal its cast aluminum go get it welded thicker or take it to your local machine shop and see if he will make you one out of some steel for a cheap price say $30 bucks

I have welded about 5 or 6 of them and never had a problem I know some others have too must of been some bad casts back then
might do that in the future, or switch back to the sito if someone starts selling some iron elbow joints. in the meantime, i got the polini. much different experience. where the sito was more pissed and wild, the polini is far more civilized. i lost some low end grunt, but the bike is quieter, smoother, chomps at the bit less, but it's still got plenty up top. oz called me out on this...but it feels more touring ready. i need to fiddle with the carb and put a bunch more miles on it. for now i'm actually enjoying the change of pace, but that muffler looks awfully easy to chop off.
@firej avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@firej avatar
UTC quote
nice I like that polini pipe but for some reason I love the sito bananna pipe until I have to change a tire but i dont race anymore so its not a big deal

it would be very cheap to have someone make that elbow out of some steel stainless would be nice , I think someone in the uk machined them out of aluminum insted of a sand cast
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0455s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0197s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]