OP
UTC

Lurker
2002 ET4

Lurker
2002 ET4
UTC quote
Hi all. I've just recently been having a hard time starting my 2002 ET4. I turn the key and have headlight and horn power, but I'm not able to start the bike up right away. It usually takes at least 5-7 tries until it eventually starts. It's almost like there's a complete power cut off to the ignition button. It appears to happen only after about a day or so of not being started. After I get it going, and shut it off, I have no problem restarting it. I just recently got the oil changed and had a complete service done at my local vespa shop. So i'm quite confused as to why this is happening.
Thanks in advance for any help! I truly appreciate it!!!
UTC

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150
UTC quote
Although I'm a bit confused by your description of the problem, the most likely culprit is the battery.

When you hit the start button while having your problem, does the engine seem to crank over more slowly than at other times?

If that's the original batt in an '02, you probably don't even need to waste time checking it.
OP
UTC

Lurker
2002 ET4

Lurker
2002 ET4
UTC quote
Thanks for responding Joel. It seems to start right up as if there was no problem whatsoever. It turns right over without any hesitation. It is the original battery, do you suggest purchasing a new one? I'd assume so.

Thanks a million.
UTC

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150
UTC quote
It probably will need a battery soon if not now.

If it cranks over at the normal speed and does not "fire", the problem is most likely something other than the battery. Sounds like you may need a return engagement to your service person. It's pretty tough to diagnose this type of problem long distance.
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
Only replace your battery if it sounds like the starter is turning over at a slower rate than normal and seems to be dying out. Those batteries are like $80-90. It's more likely a flooding problem. It may be your fuel tap is bad and not shutting off fuel flow to the carb, or it may also be that you overfilled your gas tank. When you are expecting the problem, try starting the bike with the throttle all the way open. If it's starts easier that way, it usually signifies a flooded carb. The better you can desribe the problem, the better we can help you.
OP
UTC

Lurker
2002 ET4

Lurker
2002 ET4
UTC quote
thanks so much guys. I'll be firing it up tomorrow and I'll try all the things you guys said and keep you posted. thanks a million.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0342s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0101s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]