ET4 Problems...what should I do first?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:33 pm quote
So I bought a used 2004 ET4 (3300 miles) and I rode it about 100 miles over the weekend with ALMOST no issue.

It was having trouble idling so I adjusted the idle up. After that I accidentally overfilled the tank with 87 octane fuel. Now I know it needs premium, but this is a learning process.

I rode it today and it started cold with ease and seemed to run well. I rode it back home tonight and my wife asked me to run to the store so I took the vespa. It had trouble starting while it was already warm and will not hold an idle now. It just sputters and dies. Then it is hard to start and I have to rev it to get it to stay running. As soon as I let off the gas it sputters and dies.

In another post I mentioned that it makes a squeak, grunt, lame duck, harmonica sound every few seconds after being shut off. Evaporator system is what was mentioned.

Now I am thinking my idle may be set wrong, overfilling caused problems, low octane gas is causing problems, and/or the evaporator system needs to be replaced or just removed altogether.

I am not sure what I should do first. My feeling is that in the morning when cold it would start again, but I am not sure.
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:40 pm quote
Let us know if it starts up once it is cold. That will be a big clue.
Stella
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:55 pm quote
Please unplug the evap hose from your carburetor. The blocked canister is preventing proper venting of the bowl.

Also disconnect the vent hose, anywhere. Then see what happens.
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm quote
I will unplug the evaporator hose as instructed the next time it happens or the next time I have free time.

Here is the strange thing....after posting I went back out into the garage (knowing the only thing that I have adjusted since I have owned it is the idle). I started and it was rough and wanted to die. In one hand I had a screwdriver and with the other I kept the throttle on. I adjusted the idle slowly until the vespa stayed at idle. The rear wheel was not moving. It ran for about 2-3 minutes smoothly and then the engine began to speed up greater than I wanted and the rear wheel began to spin fast. I took my screwdriver back out and backed off the idle until the wheel stopped rotating. The engine again sped up and started the wheel turning. I repeated the idle adjustment down until the wheel stopped again. It ran perfectly for about 10 minutes before I shut it off.

It seems like I adjusted the idle up and then back to about where it was previously having problems...

So strange..., but as of now it is starting and running perfectly again.
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:19 pm quote
orange s150 wrote:
Let us know if it starts up once it is cold. That will be a big clue.
I will try to start in the morning and let you know.
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:16 pm quote
Are you adjusting the idle screw or the air/fuel mixture? It sounds like you have a lean condition with the revving.
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:23 pm quote
Iím adjusting the only screw that is easily accessible. Top right of photo.

7D9477D2-D5C1-40F5-9DD8-60501F9C666E.jpeg

Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Wed May 01, 2019 2:40 am quote
Well...
Good morning everyone,

Well, I cold-started this morning and absolutely no issues. At this point I am going to say that the issues are intermittent, but maybe they have been resolved with a better idle adjustment. I made a video of the start that I will share below. The only thing this time that I hear is a rattle of the muffler chrome. I will look into that when I have the chance. Thank you to everyone for your help and I am sorry if it appears there were no issues to begin with, but I assure you there were.

Have a great day!

Link to video:
https://youtu.be/RolrQ08qZNw
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Wed May 01, 2019 3:57 pm quote
Okay, another update. I think I am figuring this out. I rode the Vespa again tonight for about 17 miles, parked it for about an hour and then started it and rode that same 17 miles back home. When I ride the Vespa, but it sits only for 1 hour or less before restarting, it seems to run rough. If lots of time is between starts and running it, it does fine. It is almost as if a clog or pressure builds up somewhere in the motor that prevents good fuel air mixture and runs rough.
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm quote
Okay guys and gals...same thing today. Nice smooth cold start and rode well for about 15 miles. Stalled at stop sign. Started and had to rev to keep running. Stopped again, stalled again. Got home and adjusted the idle up enough to keep it from dying. Then the rear wheel begun to spin too fast as the engine smoothed out and the idle then became too much. Lowered the idle again. Rinse and repeat.

In another post another member said to remove the EVAP system or my scooter will never run correctly. I am a bit afraid to cut all that stuff out and then it still run rough.

Is there a consensus on here that removing the EVAP system would likely cure my woes?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu May 02, 2019 3:56 pm quote
You only have to remove the hose that connects the Evap Crap to the carb. Leave that hole in the carb open.

Also, while diagnosing, remove the vent hose from the gas tank filler neck. This will eliminate the possibility of a pressure drop in the tank. Once you know that isn't part of the problem - replace it, or better still run a new vent line out and down to the ground, bypassing the Evap Crap completely.

Double-check the rubber intake manifold for any cracks, and ensure the vacuum lines (which attach to the manifold) have no cracks.
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Thu May 02, 2019 4:03 pm quote
jimc wrote:
You only have to remove the hose that connects the Evap Crap to the carb. Leave that hole in the carb open.

Also, while diagnosing, remove the vent hose from the gas tank filler neck. This will eliminate the possibility of a pressure drop in the tank. Once you know that isn't part of the problem - replace it, or better still run a new vent line out and down to the ground, bypassing the Evap Crap completely.

Double-check the rubber intake manifold for any cracks, and ensure the vacuum lines (which attach to the manifold) have no cracks.
Thank you! This is great step-by-step info.

And by the way, the only reason I havenít pulled the hose off the evap container is because it has a factory hose clamp that appears would have to be ďcutĒ off instead of slipped off.
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Fri May 03, 2019 4:16 pm quote
So I cut the line and just left it hanging to the evap system. I did NOT experience the stalling tonight and it started and ran with almost no issue.

I let a friend of mine ride it and asked for his candid feedback. He said the front tire pressure was too low (no big deal) and that he thinks a tooth of the belt or something is rattling around in the clutch housing.

I tried to take off the clutch belt cover to expose whatever was rattling around, but I found this to be a bit bigger of a job than I anticipated for a Friday evening.

I now have to learn what all has to come off to access the belt. I pulled out about 8 bolts and the oil dipstick and it appears that I will need to remove boded panels to completely be able to access the belt.

Any of you who have replaced the belt, I would appreciate any feedback you may be willing to share.

I had fun on the scooter tonight for the first time in a few days as it seems to be running well.

Thank you for the recommendation to disconnect from the evap system, as I think that is what it was all along.
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Sat May 04, 2019 12:45 pm quote
Did you take the clutch nut off? Its behind the plastic plate on the back of the cover. It takes a tool to hold the clutch so you can loosen it. Here is a link to the tool:
https://scooterpartsco.com/et4/tools-and-repair/clutch-tool-for-vespa-piaggio-and-aprilia-scooters?zenid=2e04760303f1cfea8c2730ebd0c5118c When you put it back on you should be sure to tighten it with a torque wrench. Not sure of the torque for these.
Enthusiast
2004 Vespa 150
Tue May 07, 2019 2:04 pm quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
Did you take the clutch nut off? Its behind the plastic plate on the back of the cover. It takes a tool to hold the clutch so you can loosen it. Here is a link to the tool:
https://scooterpartsco.com/et4/tools-and-repair/clutch-tool-for-vespa-piaggio-and-aprilia-scooters?zenid=2e04760303f1cfea8c2730ebd0c5118c When you put it back on you should be sure to tighten it with a torque wrench. Not sure of the torque for these.

The torque is 57-62. Yes, I did take it off. I created my own jig to lock everything down so that I could re-torque.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1458s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0274s) ][ Debug on ]