Will a bad voltage regulator keep the battery from charging?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lx 150
Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 pm quote
I have a 2006 lx 150 that is not charging the battery. When I check the voltage on the battery, it never gets above 12.3 voltes, even when the scooter is reved up. Could this be the voltage regulator, or do I need to replace the stator?
Thanks,
JR
Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Tue May 12, 2009 9:16 pm quote
Re: Will a bad voltage regulator keep the battery from charg
jason rusoff wrote:
I have a 2006 lx 150 that is not charging the battery. When I check the voltage on the battery, it never gets above 12.3 voltes, even when the scooter is reved up. Could this be the voltage regulator, or do I need to replace the stator?
Thanks,
JR
Mr. Jason Rusoff,

Is it a new bike? I wonder if the dealership did not activate the battery properly.
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, X9 500 Evo, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed May 13, 2009 2:03 am quote
First, test with a different known good battery, as the original may have a shorted cell and will never go above 12.6V or thereabouts.
Hooked
lx150
Wed May 13, 2009 5:57 am quote
No, the Voltage regulator will NOT affect you manually charging the battery. What a bad VR will do is disallow the bikes own internal charging system from properly functioning.
Lx 150
Wed May 13, 2009 6:19 am quote
This is a new battery in a 3 year old bike. The woman I bought it from said it had battery problems, so I put a new battery in when I went to pick up the bike. When I charge it with an external battery charger,it charges up just fine and the scooter starts. But when the bike is running, if I rev the engine the voltage at the battery is never above 12.3 volts. I'll have to do some more testing at the regulator to see if I can tell if it's a wiring problem or a bad stator. I was just hoping I could just plug in a new regulator and be done with it. Looks like I might be tearing the engine apart to get that stator out.
JR
Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 am quote
jason rusoff wrote:
This is a new battery in a 3 year old bike. The woman I bought it from said it had battery problems, so I put a new battery in when I went to pick up the bike. When I charge it with an external battery charger,it charges up just fine and the scooter starts. But when the bike is running, if I rev the engine the voltage at the battery is never above 12.3 volts. I'll have to do some more testing at the regulator to see if I can tell if it's a wiring problem or a bad stator. I was just hoping I could just plug in a new regulator and be done with it. Looks like I might be tearing the engine apart to get that stator out.
JR
Read Jim's post I think he nailed it. Have some tests run on it.
Moderaptor
2xGP800, Fuoco, X9 500 Evo, The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed May 13, 2009 9:21 am quote
From the new information provided it is going to be the regulator itself, the stator or the flywheel magnet. Page 73 of the manual or thereabouts:
http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/Vespa/LX150/

The regulator providing some regulation but at the wrong low voltage is unusual. If one stator wire had become open circuit that might explain it (not uncommon) as would a weak magnetic field in the flywheel. These can be re-magnetised.
Lx 150
Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 am quote
Jim,
Thanks for that info. I tested the 3 leads from the stator at the regulator. One of them is not connected to the other 2. In your experience, do the stators go bad internally, or might it be a wiring problem somewhere between the stator and the regulator?

I couldn't figure out where the 3 yellow wires that feed the regulator go into the engine. I'll have a look at the parts catalog and see if I can't identify where the 3 wires come out of the engine. I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the stator, but I have an uneasy feeling that I have a big project in my future. I just bought the scooter and was hoping I had some time before I had to tear apart the engine. Have you ever replaced a stator? It looks to be buried pretty far in. Well, I guess it's time to learn how to tear this sucker apart.
JR
Moderaptor
Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm quote
It's all in the manual, but it's not uncommon for one of the wires to shear at the point it comes out of the stator (when you find it!). If so, it could be mended perhaps, but the best bet is a new one and make sure there are no sharp bends in the wires.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1291s ][ Queries: 33 (0.0586s) ][ Debug on ]