@mtn_horn avatar
UTC

Hooked
1 white 300, 1 black 300; the yin and yang scooters

Hooked
@mtn_horn avatar
1 white 300, 1 black 300; the yin and yang scooters
UTC quote
Today on my way home, I got trapped by some high water (super quick and very wet thunderstorm had just popped up). At first, it was only an inch or two of water across the road, but I was surrounded by cars and a city bus, so I didn't see what was coming until too late - 6 inches of water across the intersection. I did my best to stay in the shallowest part, but my scoot still protested quite a bit. I took a quick turn onto a drier street and in about 10 seconds, everything seemed fine - no knocking, no hesitation. Brakes were fine as well.

I rode another 45 minutes to get home (traffic sucked) without incident.

Is there anything I should do now with the scoot? Anyplace I should check for damage?
@femsatronic avatar
UTC

Banned
www.sportiquescooters.com

Banned
@femsatronic avatar
www.sportiquescooters.com
UTC quote
That was one hell of a downpour. It sounds like you have nothin' to worry about. A Vespa has to handle Italian rains as well.

Worry not, friend.
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
I'm still nervous about riding in the rain. I take things really cautiously but I'm worried about the motorists more than I am about my skills. I'd be a bit concerned having gone through that much watter, but I guess you're okay. If there was anything that was going to go wrong it probably would have already immediately after or during the time your scooter was emulating a boat.
UTC

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150
UTC quote
Since you didn't hydro-lock the engine at the time, it should be fine.

I believe, however, that the differential is vented to the outside somewhere. Someone more knowledgable than myself may want to comment, but it's quite possible you may want to change the diff oil.
UTC

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150

Hooked
2019 VESPA SPRINT 150
UTC quote
p.s. I assume the engine has positive cranckase ventilation. You need to talk with a tech.
@coley avatar
UTC

Addicted
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)

Addicted
@coley avatar
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)
UTC quote
Yep - three things to check for, or fix:

- gearbox oil
- engine oil (better safe than sorry)
- check out your wheel bearings - this would be the biggest worry of mine... likely water trapped inside that will slowly kill the bearings.... you can wait until they implode, or play it safe and do a 'quick' remove and replace. Get a mechanics opinion though. (same goes for the transmission I think, though I don't know how well the output shaft's bearing would be sealed)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0456s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0210s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]