UTC

Addicted
1980 P200e, 1956 ACMA, 1979 P200e, 1974 Ciao

Addicted
@hojo1690 avatar
UTC quote
Hiya,

I'm just saying "Hey!" because I'm about to post a MESS of questions. My wife and I got into scootering last year. I started with a new 50cc Chinese scooter, when gas prices were high. My wife and I both promptly got addicted. She now has a 1957 Vespa Acma in mint condition. I just unloaded the 50cc, and got a 1980 Vespa P200e that's in quite good condition, too. I use the P200e as my "daily commuter". I put on about 100 miles/week riding to work. Basically, if it's over 32 degrees out and not snowing, I'm willing to ride it to work! lol.

Anyway, the "newer" of our two bikes is 29 years old. I've been looking for some opportunities to get my hands greasy - mid-life crisis, I think. These bikes are providing an excellent opportunity. I'll be posting more specific threads with some questions about both bikes.

Anyway, I just found this site yesterday, and I've already learned a TON reading back on some previous posts. I'm looking forward to hanging out here!

Attached are a picture of my bike, and my wife on hers. We had a local parade last week with a Hawaiian theme. She doesn't ALWAYS dress that way! lol.

Mike
My P200e
My P200e
My wife learning to ride the '57.
My wife learning to ride the '57.
My wife in a parade.
My wife in a parade.
@robbyrivai avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yamaha MIO :P

Hooked
@robbyrivai avatar
Yamaha MIO :P
UTC quote
HI! welcome to MV, great scoots there sir!
I'm Robby from Indonesia
@brett_k avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX150, 1976 serveta jet 200

Hooked
@brett_k avatar
2005 Vespa PX150, 1976 serveta jet 200
UTC quote
Welcome! that 57' is real pretty!
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
you two are awsome.

everybody loves a parade. Razz emoticon
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Welcome!
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
First, welcome. Both bikes look nice.

Second, where did you find an ACMA over here? The only time i see ACMA's over here ...or people advertising them ... are Viet imports. Yours looks nice and all, i just wonder if you know the history.

They were 1950's French-made vespas ( as i'm sure you know ). Vietnam was still a French colony at the time, so there were tons of ACMA bikes in France ...and Vietnam... and not many anywhere else. So, it's pretty rare to see a legit ACMA in the states, unless it was one of the viet-imported ones.

That said, people bring a lot of bikes over from Europe when they are collectors models, and yours looks restored and all. Just curious about the history.

I just bristle a little anytime i see someone selling an ACMA over here, because i'm almost certain i know where it came from, and thus have immediate concerns about the quality of the restoration... and the safety of the person riding it.
OP
@hojo1690 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@hojo1690 avatar
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
I just bristle a little anytime i see someone selling an ACMA over here, because i'm almost certain i know where it came from, and thus have immediate concerns about the quality of the restoration... and the safety of the person riding it.
Eric, ya, I was concerned too. I don't know the long term history of this bike, though the previous owner assured me it was not a "Vietnamese Special". He did a lot of work on it himself, and shared a lot of the manuals and documentation he had accumulated over time. He shared >some< information about a domestic company that did some of the restoration. I honestly forget which one, and can't find the email offhand. I've also had a local expert look it all up and down, and he feels that it's in excellent condition.

We don't ride it extensively. My wife mostly wants to use it for parades and rallies. She's got her eye on the Piaggio MP3 plug-in electric hybrids that are slated to come out in 2010. lol.

Thanks for the concern, though! That's definitely an issue with these oldies. Frankly, I'm shocked at what a good break we got when we bought that scooter!

Mike
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
hojo1690 wrote:
Rover Eric wrote:
Eric, ya, I was concerned too. I don't know the long term history of this bike, though the previous owner assured me it was not a "Vietnamese Special". He did a lot of work on it himself, and shared a lot of the manuals and documentation he had accumulated over time. He shared >some< information about a domestic company that did some of the restoration. I honestly forget which one, and can't find the email offhand. I've also had a local expert look it all up and down, and he feels that it's in excellent condition.

We don't ride it extensively. My wife mostly wants to use it for parades and rallies. She's got her eye on the Piaggio MP3 plug-in electric hybrids that are slated to come out in 2010. lol.

Thanks for the concern, though! That's definitely an issue with these oldies. Frankly, I'm shocked at what a good break we got when we bought that scooter!

Mike
ok

how much did you pay for the acma

we're all biting nails
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
Good.. glad to hear you did your homework on it first!
@gatekeep avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally USA 200 1980 P200e

Molto Verboso
@gatekeep avatar
UTC quote
Post More Pics Please...
WoW ! handle Bar Bike Me likie
Welcome ! to Not So Modern Folk.. and the "Big Adventure"...
We ask all kinds of silly questions here... Its "normal"

PLEASE ! Post More Pics of that 57....I'm drooling Goofy emoticon
UTC

Lurker
super 77, with 66 head

Lurker
super 77, with 66 head
UTC quote
my 7 vespa super
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@gatekeep avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gatekeep avatar
UTC quote
Re: my 7 vespa super
zubbbois wrote:
ME Thinks I'm in Love...
@gatekeep avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gatekeep avatar
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
Good.. glad to hear you did your homework on it first!
Eric how much do these go for ? Wheres a good read for these oldies? Thanks, Brian
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0321s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0092s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]