Question on Rider Education Program from the Motorcycle Safe
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio MP3 500 -
Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:32 pm quote
Hi,

Iím taking a Rider Education Program from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation this weekend. Is there anything special I should be aware of or something I should be sure they review with me? Or anything special I should ask about?

Iím so looking forward to spring!

Sandy
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:43 pm quote
Go with an open mind might be the best advice.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:38 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Go with an open mind might be the best advice.
+100 Absolutely the best advice.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:53 pm quote
listen and pay attention, if you don't understand something definitely ask a question.

On the range watch the rider while listening closely to the instructions. Pay attention to the head turns. keep you eyes level. you'll do fine.
Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:02 pm quote
Out on the practice course, it helps not to be 1st in line so at least you can watch a few riders to better help remember the maneuvers when its your turn.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm quote
tommylittlescooter wrote:
Out on the practice course, it helps not to be 1st in line so at least you can watch a few riders to better help remember the maneuvers when its your turn.
careful with that 1 rider screws up and everyone follows suit. pay attention to the instructors.
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 pm quote
When you want to put your foot down...

...don't. Gun it a bit (or release the clutch a bit, if you're driving a motorcycle) but don't put your foot down. You might pop outside the line but that's better than touching the ground (and maybe breaking your ankle).

Oh, and wear good boots, just in case your foot goes down in spite of all advice and direction (it happens).
Addicted
Piaggio MP3-500 (Desert Camo), MP3-400 (Pinky), Genuine Scooter Hooligan, Genuine Scooter Buddy 50, Genuine Scooter Black Cat
Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 pm quote
What everyone said above, and understand that if you do the riding portion on an MP3 that the instructors are going to be just as confused as you are ("is that a motorcycle or a scooter?", "isn't that unstable?", "can it do the U-turn box?") so show up early so you can explain the bike to the instructors (and other students).
Molto Verboso
Burgman 650 (May, 2012) MP3 500 (11/2009 - 5.2012)
Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:02 am quote
cummingsjc wrote:
What everyone said above, and understand that if you do the riding portion on an MP3 that the instructors are going to be just as confused as you are ("is that a motorcycle or a scooter?", "isn't that unstable?", "can it do the U-turn box?") so show up early so you can explain the bike to the instructors (and other students).
Most MSF classes provide their own bikes.. (Mine was a Honda 250 Nighthawk).. and don't let folks bring their own bikes... That's better if you drop it..
MP3 500
Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 am quote
Head and eyes UP
Addicted
Piaggio MP3-500 (Desert Camo), MP3-400 (Pinky), Genuine Scooter Hooligan, Genuine Scooter Buddy 50, Genuine Scooter Black Cat
Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:09 am quote
I've seen it both ways. I took my MSF course on a school provided motorcycle but my wife did hers on her MP3 250 here at Camp Pendleton, CA (they run two separate riding classes, one using school bikes and the other with owner provided bikes). Her instructors were confused as anything since California law legally allows you to ride an MP3 with only a car license. They went back and forth through the first hour of classroom time about the legal issues with the bike and whether they were going to let her stay in the course. They finally settled on letting her stay but constantly had to modify the instructions since lots of what they teach doesn't exactly apply to the MP3. I sat and watched a good amount of the riding portion and it was funny because they would give an instruction like "start releasing the clutch until you feel the "friction zone"..., except Dawn on the scooter..." or as you come to a halt make sure you use the foot brake and also engage the clutch, except Dawn on the scooter". She actually did very well comparative to many of the rider's in the class (the other girl in the class actually dumped her new Harley Sportster) except she never managed the u-turn box. The instructors told me directly that she did very well which I believe relates to both the simplicity of riding an MP3 and her maturity as a slightly older rider than the young Marines in the class.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 pm quote
Sit it in the back of the class, arms crossed with a disinterested look on your face. Then when you get out on the practice course dazzle them with your mad skilz. I hear riding wheelies and successfully pulling off a stoppie really impresses them.
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 pm quote
2goose wrote:
Head and eyes UP
I stand corrected. That is the single most important tip. In fact, let's combine it:

Head, feet, and eyes UP.
Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT
Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:24 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Sit it in the back of the class, arms crossed with a disinterested look on your face. Then when you get out on the practice course dazzle them with your mad skilz. I hear riding wheelies and successfully pulling off a stoppie really impresses them.
Don't listen to Sticky, his stoppies leave much to be desired! LOL!
Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"
Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:
You forgot "Get off the bike without the parking brake engaged and walk away slowly and awesomely while it rolls down an imperceptible incline and falls over". That part is absolutely key to looking awesome.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:35 pm quote
My version of a stoppie?
Sidecutter wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
You forgot "Get off the bike without the parking brake engaged and walk away slowly and awesomely while it rolls down an imperceptible incline and falls over". That part is absolutely key to looking awesome.
It made an impressive noise though.

gsheff is right though if I ever tried a stoppie my scoot would probably end up in a similar posture.
Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"
Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm quote
But it would be stable if that happened thanks to the tripod stance formed by the front wheels and your head...
2013 GTV ie 300
Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 pm quote
You will enjoy the class. Keep an open mind. Turn your head to look where you're turning the bike (read scooter), not just your eyes.

Have a good time.
Addicted
MP3 500 (no - longer); 2008 Victory Vision (gone), 2012 Goldwing (gone), 2019 Wee-Strom
Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:09 pm quote
Just follow the instructions and enjoy the weekend. It will be a very nice weekend in Knoxville to take the course. I'll have to be working, but if you are at Pellissipi, maybe I'll ride from work to the firehouse subs for lunch and then watch for a while. I did that course not too long ago (in fact, just over 600 posts ago )
MP3 500ie
Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:10 am quote
Yeah. What they said. I just did the course in Virginia in October. Go with the flow. And, particularly if you are using their bike instead of yours, don't worry about dumping the bike. Instead, be confident that it will not happen. You probably have not had your MP3 long enough to develop any MP3-specific habits, which is good. Do what the instructors say, and think of the clutching and footwork as a cool dance step to learn well for the weekend.

When choosing a bike, be sure to get one that fits you (not too tall, not too short), and is in very good operating condition. Ask the instructor for assistance with this. Do bring a picture of your scoot to show your classmates and the instructors. They will go "ooh", and ask questions. It's a great ice breaker.

Have fun!
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2570s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0352s) ][ Debug on ]