250 gts engine knock
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 250 Vespa
Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:29 pm quote
I posted a message last week wondering about what was going on with my 250 gts' motor as it was knocking very loudly. One response was that it might be the rollers. I put some new gas in it and my friend said try the mid grade (up from the lowest grade). The motor is now quiet and sweet running. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a loose rod bearing. Of course the dealer denied any responsibility because my warranty was over by 2 months when I took it in. I'm glad they didn't take responsibility and tear my motor apart chasing after some perceived problem. I suggested it might be gas and they dismissed the idea immediately.
Ossessionato

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:38 pm quote
Glad to hear you found the problem. It's hard to diagnose these things sometimes unless one can actually hear the noise, up close and in person.
Many people have posted that they run 87 octane with no problems but I have three scoots and never run anything less than mid-grade (and usually premium) just to be on the safe side. Happy motoring!
Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie
Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:03 pm quote
RTFM.

Nothing more to say.

P.
Ossessionato
'06 GTS250 (RIP) '07 GTS250
Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:42 pm quote
Premium
I always run the highest grade gas I can get in my GTS. Knocking is usually low grade gas or bad timing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150
Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:08 pm quote
It tells you in the owners manual, it tells you in the sales brochure. It tells you in some of those decals plastered all over your scooter, and, many of us on this board preach that premium fuel is required, as per Piaggio. Yet, some try to get by on the cheap because that extra 30 or 40 cents on a fill up is going to bankrupt them.

All of a sudden, voila, it runs better when the higher octane is put in! Wow! Call Guinness for the greatest discovery in scooter history! Premium fuel stops engine knock!
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:13 pm quote
NightWing wrote:
It tells you in the owners manual, it tells you in the sales brochure. It tells you in some of those decals plastered all over your scooter, and, many of us on this board preach that premium fuel is required, as per Piaggio. Yet, some try to get by on the cheap because that extra 30 or 40 cents on a fill up is going to bankrupt them.

All of a sudden, voila, it runs better when the higher octane is put in! Wow! Call Guinness for the greatest discovery in scooter history! Premium fuel stops engine knock!
2015 Spring Gathering - Little Switzerland, NC   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2011s ][ Queries: 33 (0.1041s) ][ Debug on ]