seriously, would you do this to somebody?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:33 am quote
i have this guy who contacts me after my bajaj auction on ebay. i tell him i want $1,800 for it and all the bajaj crap i have for it. wants more pics, etc, so i send him about 30 high-res pics of it.

he tells me that it's all cool, hold it for him- he drives 3 hours last night to pick it up.

gets to my house, looks it over, and tells me "it's $900 cash, take it or leave it."

i guess it must have been a long drive home for him.
Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:39 am quote
I was selling an old piece of crap '78 VW Westy and had a guy who did the same thing.

I was asking a grand for it and he showed up with $900 - after we agreed on $1000.

I was pissed, but took the $900 and let the bus go.

I had a bunch of original seat upholstery material I was going to send with it, but I kept that and sold it later.

$100 isn't a ton of difference, but it was still a ballsy move.

Last edited by Jeremy W on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:43 am quote
i can see offering less, but agreeing on a price, then showing up with half?

it was pretty funny though, because when i gave him 'the look,' he started backpedaling to do the original deal, and i was like "get the F*** out of here." i didn't say that, but he got the point.

at this point, i am just keeping the bajaj methinks.

some people.
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:56 am quote
HAHA.

so, i've shown up and offered less, but was always prepared with the full amount.

Half is a bit of an insult, though.

I've been pretty straight up with the last couple sales i've made, where i said "look, if you're coming out here, i want X amount. That's my price - don't drive all this way without the money".
Hooked

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:57 am quote
That's the game. Whenever I'm buying or selling I try and play as straight as I can. I don't like shifty people.

My dad is selling some furniture on kijiji and he got a guy that said he'd buy this table for $800. He said he would mail a check, but it took two weeks to get here. The check is for $3000 (from a Toronto Bank) and the letter says to contact this private shipper to send it to France. I smell scam right away. Told him to hold the check till it clears. I think they are gonna try to get him to pay this guy a couple thousand to ship it take the table and the check bounces. He totally would have done it too.

Money turns some people into vultures
Ossessionato
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:05 am quote
I recently sold my GTV to some cool folks from Chicago - they were on the way up to pick it up and some local guy hounded me while they were on the way up saying he could be here in like 20 minutes, I told him no way, Jose', but I was surprised that he wanted to screw some folks he never met who were taking the time and expense to come up from Chi-Town. Guess that's what Craigs List brings ya (had lots of interest once it was posted tho)...
Sponsor
DL200, TV2, Vega, Lui, GTS
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:25 am quote
cooper wrote:
That's the game. Whenever I'm buying or selling I try and play as straight as I can. I don't like shifty people.

My dad is selling some furniture on kijiji and he got a guy that said he'd buy this table for $800. He said he would mail a check, but it took two weeks to get here. The check is for $3000 (from a Toronto Bank) and the letter says to contact this private shipper to send it to France. I smell scam right away. Told him to hold the check till it clears. I think they are gonna try to get him to pay this guy a couple thousand to ship it take the table and the check bounces. He totally would have done it too.

My brother in law is selling a sofa bed on Craigslist. So far he has had 23 phone calls all offering him the same deal as above for the $200 sofa bed. A couple of weeks ago a friend was selling a car. Had about a dozen of the same offers.

Its a really well known scam.

Andrea
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:28 am quote
when i recently put my element on craigslist, i foolishly put my phone number. now, i get 10 calls a week or so from financing companies looking to help me sell my car.
Hooked
LXV 150
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:28 am quote
With the $3000 toronto bank thingy above, THAT IS A SCAM! Don't just wait for the check to clear. REFUSE IT! Some faked foreign checks initially clear and then bounce a month or so later. There are lots of examples of this on the web.

Really, why wouldn't he just pay his own shipper?
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:37 am quote
cooper wrote:

There's no doubt about it - classic scam material there.
They'd try and get you to pay back the difference between the cheque and the table and hope this went through before the inevitable bounce
Molto Verboso
1979 p200e
Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:02 am quote
Yeah, that's kinda douchey. I would never say "take it or leave it".

If that were all the money I had, I'd say "this is all I can afford". But if I had the money, and just thought it wasn't worth that much; I would walk away. I don't think I would offer half if I could afford more. That's kinda cheap.

No use in insulting or shafting someone over a few bucks. Maybe I'm just a pushover though.
Hooked
1970 Sprint, ET2, GT200, MP3 500
Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 am quote
Re: seriously, would you do this to somebody?
chad wrote:
i have this guy who contacts me after my bajaj auction on ebay. i tell him i want $1,800 for it and all the bajaj crap i have for it. wants more pics, etc, so i send him about 30 high-res pics of it.

he tells me that it's all cool, hold it for him- he drives 3 hours last night to pick it up.

gets to my house, looks it over, and tells me "it's $900 cash, take it or leave it."

That happened to me once, selling a Honda civic. The guy test drove the car, we agreed to a price, and he asked me to deliver it to his house, which I did (with someone following me so I could get home.) He had a certified check made out for less than the agreed upon amount. He was in shock when I didn't say a word, turned around and left. At that point, I wouldn't have sold it to the guy even if he offered me MORE money.

I sold it for my full price to a really nice person later.
Hooked
2005 Vespa PX150, 1976 serveta jet 200
Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:10 am quote
what an idiot, to drive 3 hours then expect you to just take half WTF?!? Guess he has more balls than brains.
Hooked
GS 160 /4
Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:29 am quote
I've got no problem lowballing someone - if it's worth a certain amount to me, I don't care what it's worth to him, and he can always sat no - but agreeing on a price, driving for hours, and THEN lowballing someone is just idiotic.

I mean, did this guy just think, "Well, he's GOT to give it to me for that, after I drove all this way," or what?

People amaze me.

- Eric
Molto Verboso
1967 Gran Turismo 1963 Lambretta S3 TV175 1971 Rally 180
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 am quote
$10 or $100, I think it's bad form to try to shave a few sheckles off of a price you already agreed upon. That CL scam posted above is so played. "Here, I'll overpay and you send me a check for the difference." Right. Ok there. Speaking of CL I have a sale pending on a futon bed I'm selling. I'm going to deliver it tomorrow and get paid. Why do I fear being kidnapped and ending up on the Asian sex trade?
Hooked
1985 T5 Mk1, 1984 PX200 EFL
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:18 am quote
Anyone who would buy a futon of CL is a sick MOFO for sure. Watch yourself.
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 am quote
MDchanic wrote:
I've got no problem lowballing someone - if it's worth a certain amount to me, I don't care what it's worth to him, and he can always sat no - but agreeing on a price, driving for hours, and THEN lowballing someone is just idiotic.

I mean, did this guy just think, "Well, he's GOT to give it to me for that, after I drove all this way," or what?

People amaze me.

- Eric
some guy who had seen too many "cash is king" movies or something. that, and he kept talking about how bad the economy was. apparently he thought i was going to get thrown out of the street if i didn't quick sell a bajaj
Hooked
2007 Aprilia SportCity250, 1977 P200, 1982 100 Sport
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 am quote
Half is fucking ridiculous! Especially since $1,800 for a Chetak in the condition your add describes is a pretty good deal. It might not be a steal, but still. I could see myself offering $1,300 with the goal of getting you to $1,500. But, seriously? You should have asked if he meant $900 plus the title and keys to his car.
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:02 am quote
Shoulda said "i don't care if you waste your own time, driving 3 hours out here... but don't waste mine."
Banned

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 pm quote
my theory on selling or buying things is always keep the ball in the other persons court. It is a business deal, nothing personnal, I always like to keep the conversation going, and lite, playful, if you tell someone to F(*K O&f then it is over. In this situation I would likely have countered with 1,750, and you can have half of the extra parts, then remind him how cool he would look on this and to contemplate the chick magnet features of this little beauty. If he drove all that way, he was interested, I think all you had to do is remind him why, before he talked himself out of it on the way over.
Hooked
ET3
Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:14 pm quote
I wouldn't even cash or deposit the check. My ex-roommate sold her soloflex for $2500 and the guy sends her a $5000 check. Tells her to go ahead and cash it and send him a check for the difference. Dumb greedy idiot that she is, goes to cash it and the bank freezes her account saying it's a fake account and that they were going to have to investigate her story. They probably figured nobody would be stupid enough to fall for that and she must be in on it. She ended up spending hours of her own time printing out e-mails and going into the bank to straighten things out.
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:47 pm quote
chad wrote:

If I had made a deal for 1800, then I would have stuck to it. The buyer was a tool for thinking that he could commit to a price, and they low ball you at half.
Addicted
Vespa Rally 180 LML Piaggio Cosa Triumph Bonneville Suzuki Burgman 400
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:40 pm quote
chad wrote:
i guess it must have been a long drive home for him. With all his teeth in his hand
There, I fixed that for you. Absolutely no class, that dude.
Addicted
not-so-normal
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:00 pm quote
oh wake up man... that's a seller trick
I mean... he buy from you for a half and sell again for full price or more
nothing at all
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 pm quote
good point nino

after chad sent the high res pics, the guy saw that the bike was really nice

so he shows up and throws a long shot to increase his investment spread

what he did'nt factor was the kick in the a-- that chad gave him

that makes the bike worth a little more don't you think
Hooked
05 vespa px150 serie america
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:15 am quote
Very often these guys making a low offer, have the difference, in cash, in their other pocket. They are sometimes trying to get a "steal". I find there to be a lot of flakey, time-wasting people, buyers and sellers. Often, the lower priced items youre selling, bring out a cheesier class of buyer. I don't put myself in a position where people are able to waste too much of my time. Do not be overly accomodating, it usually does not pay.
Hooked
GS 160 /4
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:57 am quote
glitterballhedgehog wrote:
Very often these guys making a low offer, have the difference, in cash, in their other pocket.
I'm not above a "Gee, that's just more than my budget will allow" WHILE NEGOTIATING, but to try that crap AFTER AGREEING on a price is just low-down dirty.

- Eric
Hooked
'05 Chetak. '65 Fuji Rabbit, '14 Moto Guzzi
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:58 pm quote
Cheesy move on his part. I'd send him on his way.

I've sold a few things on CL, Nigerian replies, lowballs, no-shows, etc. But every time there were real sane people also who came and bought the items with cash. It used to suck trying to sell something by newspaper ads; modern life is better
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1516s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0366s) ][ Debug on ]