Stebel horn install on my GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:32 pm quote

DSC_0001.JPG
Here's the horn bracket being removed with a nut driver. Overall, pretty simple - if the bolt and washer drop, they will come out behind the front wheel.

DSC_0007.JPG
I used a separate 12VDC and ground wire from the battery. I taped them together and fished them up behind the glove box following the black conduit going into the leg shield. It pops out behind the radiator - see below. I gently pulled the glove box away

DSC_0009.JPG
Here's the layout of the 12VDC wire (red) going thru a waterproof automotive fuse holder to the positive side of the battery and the black wire going to the negative side of the battery. I know I could have jsut grounded it to the frame but I prefer to ru

DSC_0011.JPG
Here's the Stebel horn partially separated from the compressor (steel cylinder). The molded plastic hoder is just below and left of the yellow o-ring. The stub on the C-clamp (vertical piece on the right side) fits into the hole just above the C-clamp

DSC_0013.JPG
Here's the horn (top view) after I cut off the C-clamp (was on the left side). I cut it off carefully with a bandsaw tho I'm sure you could use some other tool to do it.

DSC_0015.JPG
Here's the horn ziptied to the original horn bracket. You can see the ziptie just to the left of the air entry hole. The relay is ziptied to the relay above and to the left of the horn. The relay is really light and I really don't aniticpate any problems

DSC_0016.JPG
Here's the compressor. I cut off the metal mounting bracket (was on the upper left side) using a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade (pretty easy) to save space for mounting. I connected the compressor to the horn via a 5/16" vinyl hose and used a stain

DSC_0017.JPG
Here's the compressor zip tied to the wing just to the right of the kneepad opening. Its pretty solidly mounted and light enough that I don't think it will cause long term problems (Famous last words).

Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm quote
Excellent post Miguel. Karma for you.
Ossessionato
Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:36 pm quote
2007GTS wrote:
How can you possibly have read the post that quick. I posted it 60 seconds ago and it took me an hour to write it!!
Thx
Miguel
Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro
Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 pm quote
Miguel...that was a good job! I took a little more than half a day hooking my horn... My brother laughed when I told him...he said that it took him about that long to do his first install and cut it down to a fraction of that time on subsequent installs...believe he's done at least four....

Your efforts to post step by step and provide pics will help many others...the only suggestion I would make would be to use 1/4" fuel line tubing...seems to hold pressure (PSI) rather well...again good post!

BTW...there is a Wiki Library post on a GT200 install...combine that with the removal of the glove box paneling another Wiki Library post and this should take care of at least the GT200 install....

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-gt-stebel by Buglake

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-glovebox-removal-gts ? (apologies)

Last edited by TB on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:06 pm quote
TB wrote:
Miguel...that was a good job! I took a little more than half a day hooking my horn... My brother laughed when I told him...he said that it took him about that long to do his first install and cut it down to a fraction of that time on subsequent installs...believe he's done at least four....

Your efforts to post step by step and provide pics will help many others...the only suggestion I would make would be to use 1/4" fuel line tubing...seems to hold pressure (PSI) rather well...again good post!
I believe I could do one now in about 1 hour given all the parts.

Despite having all the pics, I'm sure it will take someone else 4-5 hours to make it all work but at least they know its possible. Several times along the way, I just had to step back and wonder if I was going to make it all work.

I thought about fuel line but the vinyl line is 1/16" thick and the pressure not that high so I was comfortable with the vinyl. Perhaps that's why its a little breathy. Not sure but I doubt it.
MIguel
Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
2007GTS wrote:
How can you possibly have read the post that quick. I posted it 60 seconds ago and it took me an hour to write it!!
Thx
Miguel
Because I have one installed already...
Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 pm quote
Stebel horn
I took my Stebel horn into Massimo's Vespa Shop and let him install
it for me. The Magnam horn I won at the Rides of March rally 2008
just wasn't loud enough for me. The first time I heard the
Stebel horn was in Massimo's shop and it was on Trents GTS.
Thats when I decided to purchase one for myself, Its the BEST
horn for getting a cars attention.
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:57 am quote
Excellent work Miguel, and a great how to post. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up and photos. Perhaps one of the wiki moderators would like to move it into a wiki.
Enthusiast
2009 Vespa GTS 250 Midnight Blue
Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:05 pm quote
Credos for all who put it in themselves. I watched my Vespa rep put mine in in about an hour and it was stressful just watching him <G>. I wish Vespa would start putting them in as a standard feature. They are true life savers that will definitely get cagers attention. If you don't have one already, do yourself a huge favor and get one installed.
Ossessionato
Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:30 pm quote
rwda wrote:
Credos for all who put it in themselves. I watched my Vespa rep put mine in in about an hour and it was stressful just watching him <G>. I wish Vespa would start putting them in as a standard feature. They are true life savers that will definitely get cagers attention. If you don't have one already, do yourself a huge favor and get one installed.
1++++++

It's not used to as a sign of agression while on the road...I've found it more useful as a warning indicator...short toot and I wave...
Enthusiast
2009 Vespa GTS 250 Midnight Blue
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:20 pm quote
I believe the term was "attention'' not "aggression".
Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:37 pm quote
How did you connect the tube/hose to the hole on the plastic portion of the horn? I took a picture of what I am tlaking about so you can see. ANy help would be stupendous.

photo.jpg

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:39 pm quote
Congratulation on you Nautical horn, Car's can really hear you coming.
Ossessionato
Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:57 pm quote
SomethingNew71 wrote:
How did you connect the tube/hose to the hole on the plastic portion of the horn? I took a picture of what I am tlaking about so you can see. ANy help would be stupendous.
I found a 5/16" male thread x 5/16" barb nylon fitting at a local hardware store. I went to 3 before I found it. Most stores have 1/4" or 3/8" but not 5/16". At the time I didn't look at the brass fittings so if you can't find it in nylon, try the brass fitting section. I think you might also find the nylon fitting at an appliance repair place as well.

Others posters have used a 1/4" male thread x 1/4" barb brass fitting successfully. Put some nylon tape around the male thread before inserting to keep it air tight. I didn't find I needed a clamp around the barbed fitting but you should use one if you use the 1/4" fitting.

I can't believe I left that out of the original post. If need be, send me a PM with your phone number and I'd be glad to talk you thru it. I'll also be interested in any variations you come up with.

Best
Miguel
2010 - GTS300
Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 am quote
Easy threader
When installing the fused wire from the battery, I had a hell of time getting the wire up and into the horn box.

Henceforth, I remembered that I had an "easy threader" used to re-string a bathing suit (After much heckling from my girlfriend who claims that I spend too much time on Amazon searching for unnecessary doo-dads and not to mention the indirect "home maker"
slights).

At any rate, this $2.50 flexibile threader did the trick in less than 1 minute. I slid it in from the bottom loosely tied the wire to the eyelet and up she went. Everyone should have one of these in their tool boxes. I imagine that seasoned mechanics have more advanced threaders but this did the trick for me.

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Threader-Flexible-Needle-drawstring-replacement/dp/B004SYA80G/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330698184&sr=8-1-spell
Ossessionato
Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:46 am quote
Re: Easy threader
palmeras wrote:
At any rate, this $2.50 flexibile threader did the trick in less than 1 minute. I slid it in from the bottom loosely tied the wire to the eyelet and up she went. Everyone should have one of these in their tool boxes. I imagine that seasoned mechanics have more advanced threaders but this did the trick for me.

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Threader-Flexible-Needle-drawstring-replacement/dp/B004SYA80G/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330698184&sr=8-1-spell
A post from the past and I appreciate the information on Easy Treader...will be looking this up. If you require similar with less flex and can get into areas where a more flexible threader may bend too easily....you can pick up some stainless steel leader and create a loop at one end and use to thread wires rather easily.

Caution: Safety glasses should be worn in this instance as well as performing any maintenance that may lead to eye injury.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2373s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0335s) ][ Debug on ]