Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS 250ie
Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 am quote
Prima Windscreen for Vespa LX/GT/GTS - Short, Smoke

Part No: 0700-1010

Paid USD89.99 at scooterworks.com

Prima's Instruction Set (pdf)

The manufacturer instruction set is lacking in details. The following pix and comments hope to supplement those instructions in order to minimize the frustration of the next person installing this windscreen.

I mounted this windshield on a 2009 Vespa GTS 250ie.

00. Tools: a hammer, and 3mm & 8mm allen/hex keys.

01. First set of parts: bolt, split washer, belleville washer (cone shaped), windshield frame, and anchor nut. These parts are x2, with the exception of the windshield frame. There are two windshield frames, but but they are mirrored copies. Hopefully the pix will illustrate better.

02. Following the poor illustration in the Prima instruction set, assemble the windshield frames by sliding the parts onto the bolt in the following order: the split washer, the windshield frame (bend of the frame goes away from the bolt head), the belleville washer (broadest end against the windshield frame), and anchor nut.

03. Hand tighten these assemblies.

04. Insert the assembly into the hole under the handle bar anchor nut first. XLR8 (fifth comment below) suggests lubricating the anchor nuts before inserting the assembly into the hole. This action may facilitate the future removal of the anchor nut.

05. The frame should be on the outside of the frame cylinder. See pix.

08. Gently hammer the assemblies into their respective holes. You will feel it when the anchor nut hits the back of the hole.

07. Second set of parts (these parts fasten the windshield to the windshield frame) (x4): frame nut, belleville washer, allen/hex screw, grommet.

08. Insert the grommets through the holes in the windshield. Be careful not to rip the grommets.

09. Assemble the hardware through the windshield. The frame nut is on the inside (side facing driver) of the windshield.

10. The screw goes through the belleville washer (broadside against the windshield grommet), through the windshield grommet, and into the frame nut.

11. Position the windshield onto the frame by threading the frame through the frame nuts. Tighten the frame bolts with the 8mm allen/hex key.

12. Adjust the windshield to your preferred height and then tighten the frame screws with the 3mm allen/hex key.

00.jpg
Tools: a hammer, and 3mm & 8mm allen/hex keys.

01.JPG
First set of parts (all x2) (left to right): bolt, split washer, belleville washer (cone shaped), windshield frame (the other is a mirrored copy), and anchor nut.

02.JPG
Slide the parts onto the bolt in the following order: the split washer, the windshield frame (bend of the frame goes away from the bolt head), the belleville washer (broadest end against the windshield frame), and anchor nut.

03.JPG
Hand tighten the assemblies.

04.JPG
Insert windshield frame assembly into the hole under the handle bar.

05.JPG
The frame should be on the outside of the frame's mounting cylinder. The other side will be a mirror copy of this step.

06.JPG
Gently hammer them into the holes.

07.jpg
Parts (x4) (left to right): frame nut, belleville washer, allen/hex screw. Also, there are 4 rubber grommets (see next pic).

08.JPG
Insert the grommets through the holes in the windshield.

09.JPG
Assemble the hardware through the windshield. The frame nut is on the inside (side facing driver) of the windshield.

10.JPG
The screw goes through the belleville washer (broadside against the windshield grommet), through the windshield grommet, and into the frame nut.

11.JPG
Tighten the frame bolts with the 8mm allen/hex key.

12.JPG
Adjust the windshield to your preferred height and then tighten the frame screws with the 3mm allen/hex key.

Last edited by marco_luigi on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:22 am quote
thanks i was wondering how it was done. great post
Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment
Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:30 pm quote
What's it like on the highway?
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:51 pm quote
Great post, that should become a wiki article.
Ossessionato

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:06 pm quote
Good write up! I would caution you to make sure that you lubricate the expandable cylinders that go into the mounting holes for the windshield posts. I had one of these types of windshields on a GTS that we sold and although the windscreen worked fine, the first time I attempted to remove it, the metal cylinders wouldn't come out of the holes. I wound up having to cut the posts off so I could maneuver the remaining part of the posts for removal. I later read several posts in a thread where others had the same problem. When you tighten down the cylinders, the metal expands and when you loosen the adjuster, it won't release enough to come out of the slot. The lubrication will help with this problem but they can still freeze in the mounting hole.
To avoid this problem happening again, I put a Vespa-branded windscreen on my wife's GTS because it uses nylon rather than metal sleeves on the cylinders. It was more expensive but I can remove and replace it 100 times if I wish and it never attempts to freeze in the holes.
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS 250ie
Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:23 pm quote
Big Foot wrote:
What's it like on the highway?
I like the resulting wind displacement. I'm 5'8" (approx 173cm) and the windshield pushes the air into my chin/mouth area, but it feels like less of a blast of air on my face than when I rode without the windshield. I say this because the wind noise is not as loud. It'll be better once I replace my open face helmet with a full faced one.
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS 250ie
Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:27 pm quote
XLR8 wrote:
Good write up! I would caution you to make sure that you lubricate the expandable cylinders that go into the mounting holes for the windshield posts. I had one of these types of windshields on a GTS that we sold and although the windscreen worked fine, the first time I attempted to remove it, the metal cylinders wouldn't come out of the holes. I wound up having to cut the posts off so I could maneuver the remaining part of the posts for removal. I later read several posts in a thread where others had the same problem. When you tighten down the cylinders, the metal expands and when you loosen the adjuster, it won't release enough to come out of the slot. The lubrication will help with this problem but they can still freeze in the mounting hole.
To avoid this problem happening again, I put a Vespa-branded windscreen on my wife's GTS because it uses nylon rather than metal sleeves on the cylinders. It was more expensive but I can remove and replace it 100 times if I wish and it never attempts to freeze in the holes.
Thanks. I will note it on my instruction set. Unfortunately, I did not get this piece of information before pounding the anchor nuts into the holes of my Vespa .. we'll see what happens when I have to remove the windshield. As it goes so far, I don't think I will ride without the windshield though.
Addicted
GTV 300, [GTV 250], CB500F, SG250, MINI R59
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 pm quote
If this isn't a sticky or a wiki article yet should be. The stock instructions for this item are borderline useless (based on personal experience). Thanks Marco for posting! :tu:
El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:34 am quote
I agree with Jack (XLR8). This type of arrangement will get stuck at the mounting points. It makes changing headlight bulbs etc a major PITA and I would definitely go for the original as its mounting hardware is far superior. In fact you can buy the hardware separately for the Vespa screen.
Resident Grump
MAC Motor, BBSHD. 30 Oct 2006
Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:38 am quote
I have been stuck, but with some effort and patience I'm always able to switch screens with this hardware. I have a OEM screen and it is easier but this one and the Faco are workable IF close attention is paid to how the mounting works. Patience is key! If this were a recommend, I'd say OEM first!
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 am quote
DougL wrote:
I agree with Jack (XLR8). This type of arrangement will get stuck at the mounting points. It makes changing headlight bulbs etc a major PITA and I would definitely go for the original as its mounting hardware is far superior. In fact you can buy the hardware separately for the Vespa screen.
There is a simple fix: Cut the bottom of the headset cover. It does not affect the strength of the cover and is not visible unless you are standing on your head checking the inside of the front fender...

This is a picture of what I did on my first GTS when I had a huge battle with the windshield hardware. The plastic is very soft and can easily be cut with a pair of heavy kitchen scissors or similar. I had to do this this the cover still intact on the bike. Once it was removed it was very evident where to cut. (This picture was taken before I cleaned up the cuts I made. I don't have a pic of the final product but it looked like it was a factory job). My next GTS will have the cut-outs done before a screen is installed.

Dave
Hooked
GTV 250i
Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:38 am quote
Wow very detailed and great photos!
Thanks for posting will definitely save people from wondering aimlessly!
Enthusiast
2006 Vespa LX150
Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:10 am quote
Best post ever, thank you very much! I was dismayed when my medium Prima windscreen showed up with no instructions.
One minor thing, maybe it's just with the newer ones. The very last step, tightening the frame screws, required a 6mm allen wrench for the medium version. If you have a set, no big deal, but for me it required a trip to the hardware store.
Thanks again.
Enthusiast
2011 GTS 300
Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 am quote
Installed it on my GTS 300 last night...
No instructions came with shipment from Scooterworks but it was packed very well. For some reason, extra bolts, washers, etc. came with it.

Installation was very straightforward. I am glad someone mentioned the lubing as I plan to leave it in a long time.

The only thing I would add is to cover the bolts with some material before you bang away at it so it doesn't get scuffed. Of course doing this you have to be extra careful as it will be more likely to "slip" and then you bang your scoot. I accept no liability if you try this -- buyer beware...

All in all it seems very nice, especially as I can just see over it (I am 5' 4 1/2"). This price is very good for what you get IMHO.
Hooked
Honda Silverwing/Vespa 250 GTS/2013 BV 350(sold)/KYMCO People 250S (sold)/Chinese 150 (sold)
Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:39 pm quote
I installed one of these (in 15" height) in January. A few notes:

The allen screws that thread into the aluminum piece that grips the upright rods are VERY soft. Do not overtighten. Be absolutely sure that your allen key is not rounded off in the slightest. The screw will round off easily. How does he know, you ask?

If the screw gets f*cked up, go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have a bolt that will fit it, but it will look like a big bolt, not a sexy, countersunk screw. I think it is an M10 x 25mm bolt (but memory is fleeting these days - test first). But it will work. I tried a specialty fastener store and they had nothing like it.

Before installing the expandable nut, feel free to flatten the tabs SLIGHTLY. It will make it easier to install. Also, wrap the expanding nut in teflon tape. Just to make your life easier in the future.

I use the windshield in the cooler weather. About 2 months ago, I started an experiment with a home-made lexan screen - tall and skinny, just like me. Way less drag, more breeze for warm days, but still tall enough to stop most of the bugs from whacking me in the face. So I have attached/removed the screen quite a few times.

Overall, I thought the hardware was lightyears better than the Cuppini stuff that was on it when I bought it.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300ie
Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:58 pm quote
windshield install
I'm still confused why you have to hammer the expansion bolt into under neath side of headset? What are you hammering it into exactly? How much hammering does it take to know when to stop? Thx

Cheers Dennis
The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 am quote
Dennis, the holes are not very deep so not much hammering is required. And it doesn't need to be pounded, either; tapping will do. If you don't have a screen fitted on yours you can stick a finger into the hole to see how deep it is.
Vespa GTS 250ie
Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:58 am quote
Thanks for the detailed instructions!
I just got my Prima windscreen last night and installed it today. Your instructions were a big help! Took all of 20 minutes to install.

Scooterworks should give you a freebie for that one.

Looking forward to taking my GTS out for a spin later. It's 9C here in Toronto so I hope it will make a big difference.

Took the Vespa out for a long ride last weekend and I was freezing by the time I got back home.

I know the short screen won't completely block the wind but I'm hoping it will be good enough. I like the fact it doesn't detract from the overall look of the scoot and my storage cover still fits!

Cheers,

Maurice
Lurker
GTS 250 2009
Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:19 am quote
Prima Windscreen ScooterWorks #0700-1004 GTS250
Marco Luigi's detailed instructions were very helpful, excellent! Again no instructions with shipment but when asked ScooterWorks referred promptly to Marco's posting.
I had a very bad experience when I installed the screen - my fault, though.
I had transposed the windshield frames (left/right) and then, correcting this, removed the bolts. Both sleeves remained in place. Then - disaster, both anchor nuts fell off into the handlebar, one even down into the body. Very difficult and tedious to remove the plastic cover parts of the handle bar but managed to do so. Found one nut, bought one replacement in hardware store. Re-installed sucessfully. Many hours of anxious work.
Warning to others:
Pay greatest attention when removing the assemblies/windshield frames from the handle bar so you do not lose the anchor nuts!
Lurker

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm quote
Installing a Prima windscreen on vespa GTS
Received the windscreen UPS today and there were no instructions included. I sorta knew how it went and I figured that the long bolts went into the holes. Looked to see how to remove the cowling and then decided to adjourn to the internet. I found your post and it was a God-send. What a great job you did. Followed it to the letter and voila, windscreen on my wife's new 2013 GTS 300! Took all of 10 minutes. Read twice, hammered once. My Vespa dealer is 50 miles away so cold weather riding is not my bag. She didn't like the wind pressure against her chest above 45 or 50 mph, so following her my my 1300 motorcycle was not real great. This should make all the difference. : lynnforr
Lurker
Vespa lx50
Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 am quote
Great instructions. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I did not realize how easy it is to scratch the windscreen, and I handled it quite casually before installation.

Fortunately, plastic scratch remover creme buffed out all of the scratches. They sell it at most restaurant supply stores.
Lurker
Vespa GT 200
Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:07 pm quote
Many thanks!
I ordered this screen two years ago. My current screen is so scratched, I decided to give this one another try... It came with no instructions, and it has been in the box since then. Tonight, I did a search, and found your instructions, and was able to assemble the windscreen in 10 minutes. Awesomely explained -- you must be a teacher, as it was presented as clearly as possible. I doubt after 4 years, that you still check this thread, but if so, please accept a sincere thanks for taking the time to post something that has probably helped countless of us more "challenged" mechanics. The manufacturer ought to hire you to include instructions in their parts that require assembly -- it sure would have saved me a lot of frustration! Thank you.
Lurker
gts 300
Mon May 11, 2015 2:13 am quote
thanks from Doha, Qatar
100% great help.
grettings from Qatar.

IMAG1086.jpg

Lurker
GTS 250ie
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm quote
This instructional post was such a gift! I'm a new Vespa owner, and I like doing things like this for myself. I did everything as you instructed, but I wanted to ask if it's normal for the whole completed assembly to have some play in it. Frankly, it all wiggles a bit. I thought it would be set firmly. It seems to be the frame that's inserted into the handlebars that are moving. Is this normal?
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1723s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0406s) ][ Debug on ]